Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2023, 02:22   #1

Question Replacing steering box - ultraflex on sailboat?

I've decided the replace the steering box in my maxi 95. The current steering is two cables, connected to the rudder quadrant. On the steeringbox it says Mark II - Made in sweden.

I was planning to replace with a similar system (Rotary steeringbox with cables) but have a hard time finding a suitable kit.

I have looked at the teleflex T85 which looks very similar. But as most other cable system i can find, they only have one cable, using a push/pull system. Where my current system appears to be pull/pull.
Also system appears to be made for outboards, hence im not sure if its suitable for use on a rudder?

The kit is rated for 150hp/40knots and i only run 28hp inboard and max 8-9 knots in heavy wind.

Will a teleflex system be suitable for sailboat?
If not, is there other systems i should look into?

I have also looked into edson, and lewmar steerings as well as hydraulics. But they appear to be a complete steering replacement, and are super expensive.
sjuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:23   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Replacing steering box - ultraflex on sailboat?

The answer is maybe.

A Teleflex system might be suitable if you have pretty low loads on the rudder and the geometry is consistent with what they allow.

it’s a very involved analysis. You have to send in your rudder dimensions, boat dimensions and tiller arm dimensions.

The Teleflex support and engineering team will then determine what system you can use. then they will also tell you that they take no responsibility for the outcome.

I tried this on my boat because I had seen some Catamarans using it. It failed on my boat. So I don’t really recommend it.

It didn’t so much fail in terms of not working at all. It actually worked and had no problem managing my balanced spade rudders on a 50ft cat, but they are balanced spade, so very efficient. But there was too much slop in the system. because I have a larger boat, the cable runs were ridiculous. So, due to the length of the cable runs, the wheel had about an eighth of a turn slop. I had also tried using the Raymarine wheel helm pilot with that. Again, no good. The problem was the slop. The wheel pilot could not account for the slop in the steering and failed as well. an expensive lesson.

it would have been cheaper to buy the best thing first. Not try something that was cheaper. Steering is not a good place to try to save money. You should spend everything you have.

I do have this entire Teleflex steering system still and someone could buy it if they wanted to use it on a smaller boat. But for me it was not right because my cable runs are too long.

That said, they do have steering helms with a pair of push pull cables. That’s the one I have. it’s typically made for a pair of Outboards rather than one Outboard.

if you want supreme reliability, go with a cable system like you had. A pull/pull system. Or go hydraulic.

What auto pilot are you using? That makes a big difference here.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:21   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Recent thread on similar topic:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-278985.html
Old 11-09-2023, 09:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

Thanks.

So i understand you have a simple push/pull system? So just one cable connected to the rudder?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The answer is maybe.

if you want supreme reliability, go with a cable system like you had. A pull/pull system. Or go hydraulic.

What auto pilot are you using? That makes a big difference here.

Problem is i cant find any cable systems like the one i have. I looked at teleflex T72 which is dual cable. But it appears the the cables are simply paralel, meaning its just two push/pull cables instead of opposit pulling motion. Also im not sure if the forces generated by the rudder is larger than the 235HP outboard theyre rated for?

Also the teleflex has a Maximum steering wheel diameter: 406mm (16"). Why is the diameter of the steering wheel relevant? Also a 406mm steering wheel seems too small for a sailing boat.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuft View Post
Thanks.

So i understand you have a simple push/pull system? So just one cable connected to the rudder?

Yes. Single Teleflex Morse type 33 push-pull cable with a Morse Teleflex rotary helm in the pilothouse.

Cable connects to a single tiller arm welded to rudder stock.
Factory installed-1984. Simple & works well.
Boat also has a fold up hand tiller out aft on top of rudderstock.
I added a Comnav autopilot. Pilot drive is a Raytheon M81131 electric linear drive connected to same tiller arm as cable.
Downside is that steering wheel turns when steering by aft tiller or by pilot.Not a problem,since steering wheel is smooth rimmed "destroyer" style.
Rudder is balanced.
Boat is 28ft 9000lb 28hp
Cheers/Len
Old 13-09-2023, 03:14   #7

I found this: Maybe Navico built your older system? Hope it helps.
/Len

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304620807374
Old 10-10-2023, 09:10   #8

Boat: Albin Singoalla

I actually have the exact same issue as the opening post here.

My boat is fitted with a dual steering cable system, 2 steering cables running to a quadrant that is attached to the rudder shaft (no idea on the brand).

I would like to renew the whole system, and would prefer to stick with a similar system (it works as it is, and as the original post mentioned, alternatives are extremely pricey). I also came across the Ultraflex system. Having a very hard time figuring out if this would work or not...

Any input would be much appreciated!
Bopper Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, steering