Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 22:59   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Refit finances - advice wanted

Mithril Bham I was thinking the same thing about the interior and wondered if a good whip blast would remove the bubbled paint and then a proper Nace 3 blast on the rusted areas. Followed by some new paint to seal it all up.
Cheers
https://www.graco.com/gb/en/products...omparison.html
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 16:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
I'll have to admit, I've never sandblasted anything as large as a boat. That said, this is a tedious task which doesn't take a lot of skill (just don't let him blow a hole in your hull) Get a pair of good face masks - the bandana method I used had it's limitations and I wouldn't recommend you use it.
I might be headed that route. I have a lot of time and don’t mind wasting it if I can make it work.

Thanks for your input!
RowanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 16:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Joelhemington your going to need an air fed helmet for sandblasting in a confined space like a yacht.Then you will need a man on the outside to fill the sand hopper and monitor you are still alive.
RownaB your biggest issue is going to be removing the sand inside the yacht after the blasting. Then being able to get a sufficient paint thickness on all those hard to reach areas. The blasting and painting are both jobs that need a fair bit of skill to be accomplished properly.
No reason you could not achieve this yourself but be prepared for a fair bit of effort.
Size really has little to do with it, the sand blaster is correctly estimating the amount of effort to remove the old coating in hard to reach places. I know I could sand blast the inside of a steel 35 foot tank fairly quickly. But put frames, stringers and an awkward shape into the mix and the time factor really goes up.
Cheers
If I do go the route of doing the work myself, I will definitely use the wetblasting method that really limits dust. Of course, PPE is still needed, but it’s not as bad as dry blasting (by all accounts).

As for the interior, it’s already gone! I took it out when I bought the boat so it’s already just an empty tin can with a rudder on the back. Also, most of the metal is quite accessible so I shouldn’t struggle too much. As for the current paint, I believe it is at that stage where it hasn’t totally failed but it’s bubbling in places and should really be replaced. So if I have to leave it in certain places it wouldn’t be the end of the word.
Old 28-03-2021, 16:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Mithril Bham I was thinking the same thing about the interior and wondered if a good whip blast would remove the bubbled paint and then a proper Nace 3 blast on the rusted areas. Followed by some new paint to seal it all up.
Cheers
https://www.graco.com/gb/en/products...omparison.html
in a sense, this might be what I do. The paint isn’t bad anywhere. In fact it is only visibly rusty in the few areas where wood was glued to the metal. I guess it held moisture in.

In any case, leaving the paint in certain hard-to-reach areas would not lead to catastrophe.

Thanks for your input!

Tags
Advice, refit, wanted