Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2024, 15:45   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Project boat as first boat?

As an aside, I know another guy that has been " working" on his boat for probably around 50 years now. Every time he steps on the boat he " finds something that needs to be done".
That boat will never see the water, nor will the owner ever go sailing on it. This is simply a given with this gentleman.

In his mind though, he has sailed around the world four or five times by now....in his mind off course.
I think he is approaching 80 by now, maybe even past that.

One day, somebody is going to inherit an extraordinary fine boat or be able to buy it on the cheap.

But....he is happy as a lark doing his thing and cares little for what other people might think.

Which brings me to my point. Sailing...voyaging...racing.....working on boats...simply messing around with boats...etc...etc....is different for everyone and it's all good.

Just do your thing and be happy is the key.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:26   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
I've started to consider the idea of getting a project boat in my local area to have something to work towards while I get ready for the transition to liveaboard life. I am trying to be realistic though about my limitations: time and money aren't the concern here, my skill and aptitude are. While I do have basic mechanical aptitude and training, I have never done boat work before, and I'm thinking this could also be too big of an undertaking depending on the state of the boat. If I get a project boat I would want to do as much of the work on it as possible myself, only seeking a contractor when absolutely necessary (like installing a mast/rigging for example).

How realistic is this or am I just fooling myself and should I stick to the non-project market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Wow didn't expect so many replies this quickly. I appreciate the honest advice not to do this and just to get a boat that's actually sailable. It's not really a question of funds, more of time and not being ready to commit to the lifestyle right now. But it does sound like its unrealistic in my situation living as an expat in Holland.

Piling on to what other folks have said: you will have all sorts of maintain/repair/improve projects associated with any "non-project" boat you buy. Buy a boat suited to your mission, in as good a condition as you can afford, and start your project list with that one.

Several benefits: You won't so often be "fixing" somebody else's crappy work. You'll actually be able to use the boat more often. You'll often have time to understand systems and how they work... before you have to learn how to fix them. It'll probably cost you less in the long run. Et cetera...

-Chris
Old 04-03-2024, 04:43   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
But....he is happy as a lark doing his thing and cares little for what other people might think.

Which brings me to my point. Sailing...voyaging...racing.....working on boats...simply messing around with boats...etc...etc....is different for everyone and it's all good.

Just do your thing and be happy is the key.
^^This^^ Best comment in the thread! I often fall into the Internet trap of pushing my own opinions without regard to the OP's desires. There is nothing wrong with working on boats for many years, if that is what you enjoy and get satisfaction from. I too know someone who planned his ultimate boat for decades, then actually built and launched it, and now enjoys planning and executing the next optimization of each little thing onboard. That's what gives him pleasure. Long ago my wife and I decided that what we like to do is go places and see things, and spending years working on projects is not what we want to do.
Old 06-03-2024, 21:30   #34

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I haven't read all the posts but plan to later. Also I can't offer much advice as I am not aware of costs in the Netherlands.

But I can offer my experience as a guide. Four of us decided to build yachts (X2 f/g and two steel) We all planned to sail the seven seas.

Because of different family commitments, finances, abilities and aspirations our approaches differed. The other three built quite rough yachts with minimal crew comforts and mostly from secondhand parts. Their yachts would never have passed a survey (though safe?) and therefore couldn't be insured and therefore could never have entered a marina. Probably they were never registered either as they should have been in Australia.

BUT they sailed the world (Two of their yachts no longer exist and I don't know about the other one (probably wrecked for parts))

IN THE MEANTIME contrast that with my effort. Everything is new, X3 Rule bilge pumps, 240V power, microwave, small washing machine, H.W.S, power anchor winch, X6 bunks, fridge/freezer.....

To sail locally it will cost $10K p.a. pen fees, 2K p.a. insurance, .7K p.a Boat Registration. Then there's the cost of lifting and maintenance. If I took off around the world I would save on pen fees.(but that appears unlikely) If you do what I have done you need to have very deep pockets just to have it sitting in the pen.

Now where do you fit in?

PS Sorry if I have covered what others have already said. I hope to read the entire thread this evening
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 06:54   #35

Even is you buy a new boat, it will still require maintenance - and that takes time and money.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:24   #36

Boat: Summer Twins 25

I have a friend who is more skilled than me and he has professional help within the family, having bought a boat with a few jobs required, didn’t seem too much and estimated 1 month to get back in the water. Now 30 months in and I am not sure he will get it wet this year.
To be sure he could have got it in the water faster and it will be amazing when complete.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:46   #37

I selling my 1980 Niagara 35. Many upgrades 2007-2917. Let me know if you are interested.
robfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:05   #38

Buying a used boat you must be aware they all have issues, specially if the seller assures you they have none. If you want to use it pretty soon, the art is to evaluate with what issues you can live for a while, and which are easy to mend and repair and what equipment better to buy new and replace or add. The other option is to buy a run down boat very cheeply and start a rebuild. But than you better like (re)building more then sailing.

Capt. Claus São Paulo/Brasil
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:13   #39

I would say that a boat project would have to be a love affair with the boat of choice. You would need to feel "warm and fuzzy" everytime you go to it. Not just some street tramp boat, but one that reaches into your soul. Something solid with good "bones". From where you are located, I would look for an old Fisher 25 - not too big, not too small. Rugged built. Closed pilot house. If you stick it out and finish the project you will be completely changed. You will have gained many skills and a new attitude in your life that will add determination and the confidence that you can accomplish anything. Along the way you need an environment (boatyard culture) where mentors and boat bums can encourage/ guide/help you move forward. It is a big commitment that only pure love for your chosen vessel will drive you forward. Otherwise you are going to go through an expensive "boat divorce ". Pick your "sea wife" carefully. When buying a horse, check it's teeth.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:04   #40

I work in the industry & am a liveaboard- 5 years & counting…Buy a well maintained boat- a “project boat” is likely neglected- wet decks, leaking rudder post,, cracked pulpit, rotten stringers, bad chainplates, etc…I get you’re a DIY guy, but let’s say you need new chainplates…do you have metal fabrication machines? Otherwise just those will run thousands in costs.
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:24   #41

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Having done three of these projects ... it will take you 6 times longer and cost you 6 times more than you think ... if you work on it every waking minute.

In the end the boat will be worth half of what you spent on it.
Exactly

I do not regret the time I spent taking my boat from a neglected POS to its current condition.

Doing my own repairs ( and overseeing the work done by others), I learned a LOT about boat design, their systems, maintenance, and repairs.

I actually believe that I have a more knowledge today than most other boat owners in my marina.

And I know a lot more today about what I like and do not like in a boat, and this will assist me in selecting the next one.

I do regret the money spent, as it will never be recoverable. However, if you consider it a "hobby", then it would be no more costly than taking vacations or cruises...

On the other hand, if I were to do it again, I would try to buy a one that would be my "final boat" and search for that unicorn that has been well maintained, well equipped, and the owner is selling as he is getting out of sailing due to medical issues, or a family crisis etc.

Finding such a boat requires (IMHO):
- Narrowing down the list of what boat(s) you are considering
- Researching the historical problems with those models , so you will know what to look for when inspecting it (examples: Balsa-cored decks, steel mast steps in bilge, leaking tanks)
- Having the cash ready, in-hand to purchase it (!!!)
- Being willing to travel out of your local area to look at boats (example, entire East Coast/Gulf Coast instead of just my Houston area..)
- Having the patience to wait till you find you boat.

My two cents

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 11:45   #42

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I've rebuilt a number of boats over the years. Fortunately I've aquired enough odd parts to do another boat.
Currently I'm rebuilding the engine of our current boat. A boat I completely refurbished in 2017-2018. We lived aboard for 4 years and are now back in our home waters.
I'm fortunate since when I refurbished this boat it was laid up in my yard, I have enough space and my shop/garage is right next to it. Otherwise it's be a bigger hassle to do a job that size. Many start projects, few finish.
The boatyard I keep it in just cut up about a half dozen perfectly good boats, most needed minimal work, most had been bought at auction by well intentioned people who gave up shortly after getting into the project. One boat went through 3 different owners before the boatyard finally had enough.
Good at fiberglass? Good at wiring to ABYC standards? Could you rebuild a motor? How bout woodwork and varnish? Electronics?
It's a huge learning curve, fortunately I've gained those skills over multiple boats. Start with an easy project, don't jump into a total refit or you'll feel overwhelmed quickly.
I was a project manager building factories around the world so I know what it takes to finish large projects.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 13:19   #43

You’re not wrong.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 13:25   #44

It’s a bad idea for a number of reasons. Having no boating experience you’ll be unable to assess how much time and money repairs will cost. Further , you’re unlikely to have the skills needed to fix the boat. And finally , once you have completed the project , you’ll have more in it than it’s worth and most likely have a boat unsuited to your needs.

I’d suggest sailing other people’s boats until you have enough experience to know what’s good or bad and what kind of boat actually suits your needs. In this time keep saving the money you’d have spent on repairs , yard fees and insurance etc and you’ll have enough to buy the correct boat in good condition when you’re ready to go sailing.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 14:09   #45

Boat: Downeaster 38

I chose to go with a boat in good working order for my first boat and ended up with a project
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project