Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 17:11   #1

Boat: Baba 35' - Penelope
Pex Plumbing - Bronze or Plastic Fittings ?

There have been some great posts on Pex plumbing here but I have one question I still am unclear on. Should I use bronze or plastic fittings? Also, compression or expanded fitting? I'm going with Pex Wirsbo for redoing my entire potable water plumbing. I think that plastic put on with an expander would be super strong. Pex to plastic fittings makes logical sense to me. Bronze to pex with an expander sounds risky. Couldn't the pex slip (when put on with an expander) on the bronze when cooled after hot water goes through? Is compression fitting good enough for all potable water plumbing or is the extra effort (and expense) of putting the fitting on with an expander worth it? Finally, wouldn't plastic be better? No corrosion worries, cheaper etc...

Really would appreciate anyone's knowledge and feedback on this. Especially the thoughts on bronze verses plastic fittings.
Thanks!
Karen
KJson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 20:15   #2

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50
We are using PEX piping with bronze fittings that use a steel compression rings and their special crimp tools.So far its been almost 3 years and no problems with the pipe or fittings and we live aboard. The water pump....that's a whole different story....

We did use liquid electrical tape(essentially colored PVC glue and rescue tape to cover the steel compression rings and no signs of rust yet... ;-)
yacht_planb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 22:34   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJson View Post
There have been some great posts on Pex plumbing here but I have one question I still am unclear on. Should I use bronze or plastic fittings? Also, compression or expanded fitting? I'm going with Pex Wirsbo for redoing my entire potable water plumbing. I think that plastic put on with an expander would be super strong. Pex to plastic fittings makes logical sense to me. Bronze to pex with an expander sounds risky. Couldn't the pex slip (when put on with an expander) on the bronze when cooled after hot water goes through? Is compression fitting good enough for all potable water plumbing or is the extra effort (and expense) of putting the fitting on with an expander worth it? Finally, wouldn't plastic be better? No corrosion worries, cheaper etc...
Karen
I've built 3 houses using Shark Bite fittings throughout. The reason I went that route is that they are extremely easy and quick to use and are reusable. They are a bit spendy, but the crimping tool required for other types of fittings are extremely expensive (at least for my budget) I have had Zero problems with the Shark Bites. Other builders have expressed extreme skepticism about my choice, but I've used them for all domestic water and heating connections from 1/2 to 1 inch with no leaks or failures. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use them in a boat
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 01:39   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I had to partially re plumb a house where someone had used Pex and crimp on metal fittings. All well and good on the workbench but when its in a hard to reach place, you cant guarantee the crimp tool is in the prefect position to do its job right

Plastic fittings are re mountable, designed for use with pex and there are many many millions of em out there all doing a good job
Old 23-12-2010, 03:31   #5

If you use compression fittings, you should use plastic fittings. If you use brass compression fittings, you should insert a stiffener in the PEX tube so the brass compression fitting does not crush the pipe and cause a leak. It's hard to get plastic compression fittings to torque enough to crush the pipe... the plastic fitting will usually strip before it crushes the pipe. The best method is to swag the barbed fittings on the pipe with the proprietary swagging tool and crimp ring designed to do the job. The barbed crimp ring fittings are rated @ 150 psi witch is well below the 30 or 50 psi a boat will see. Like Amy said, it can get tough to get a good crimp in tight locations, so you might have to crimp outside a cabinet, then work the crimped assembly back into the area, or use compression fittings in some areas. I've been using this type of pipe and crimped fittings for many years on everything from house's to dump truck air lines without any problems.

Conall
conallsboatbuild.blogspot.com
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 08:51   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
My boat is going to be 9 years old in February. It has plastic compression fittings throughout. So far, so good. I'm not saying they're better than bronze, just that they're OK after 9 years. Of course now that I've said that I'll go down to my boat and find all of the fresh water in the bilge.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 08:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
we used pvc with plastic solvent welded joints and fittings,10 years and never a leak.
also very easy to work with
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:49   #8

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
I am aware of a case involving a leak from a bronze/brass compression fitting with a steel crimp on pex. It seems there was enough moisture to 'link' the bronze and steel giving rise to a galvanic action that eventually 'ate' the bronze enough that it failed.

And I agree that crimping steel in place is very different in theory than in practice in tight restricted areas. It can be difficult to ascertain whether it is done as precisely as it needs to be.

I'd go for plastic.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 13:41   #9

Boat: Baba 35' - Penelope
This all confirms my thoughts...I think I will go with the plastic compression fittings. Most people are discussing the bronze with crimp on fittings. If I would go with the bronze, I would be putting it on with the expander tool that goes with the This youtube video makes it look great. Anybody use it in their boat?
Thanks -
Karen
KJson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:00   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Wow Wirsbo is much easier then the Pex product I have use. I did my entire house in Pex and there were times it was a PITA and that was in a house. This system is much easier. I had to use the expansion tool and then push a steel ring on top of it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote