Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-03-2023, 18:34   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
penetrating epoxies, solvents, foam core

I am in the middle of an arduous deck maintenance project. Essentially, my teak decks were glued down at the factory using clamping screws in the seams. After the screws were removed, they didn't fill the holes, they just caulked the seams to seal them. Now, after previous owners have sanded the decks a lot, the holes are getting exposed. There has been some water intrusion into my cored decks, which are foam cored. As far as I can tell there hasn't been any delamination, or at least not noticeable delam.

I am in the process of exposing all the holes by carefully removing sections of caulking. I would like to use some sort of thin epoxy in a syringe to fill each (very small) hole, and then butter in a dab of brown TDS epoxy to cap off each hole. My thought was to use some Total Boat penetrating epoxy. My concern is that the high solvent content in the penetrating epoxy will either damage the foam core and/or cause further delamination. I would just use normal epoxy, but I need it to be thin enough to put in a syringe and also to flow down into the deck core.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core