Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 21:48   #16

Re: Paddlewheeler on the Ponchatrain

Welcome to the world of Sternwheels. Be sure to search Facebook for “American Sternwheel Association” You will find specific information there and on their website. Also consider becoming a member of the organization. There are a few of us still building, running and enjoying these old boats. Membership is open to all. You don’t have to own a Sternwheel to join.
Farmer9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 22:25   #17

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Very cool boat.

Here’s a pretty good restoration story about a steam powered stern wheeler on the Upper Mississippi. I took my then 12 year old son on a tour on the Julia Belle Swain - that was almost 20 years ago.

The newspaper story is actually quite good about what you get into fixing an old boat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lacrossetribune.com/news/local/belle-of-the-river-the-painstaking-remaking-of-the-julia/article_ba106bb6-630b-543c-b01b-dd0745256687.amp.html
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 09:26   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, cool boat and all the related history of that era in the region. Im originally from Natchez, MS. There have been several paddlewheelers named after the town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_(boat)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 19:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer9009 View Post
Welcome to the world of Sternwheels. Be sure to search Facebook for “American Sternwheel Association” You will find specific information there and on their website. Also consider becoming a member of the organization. There are a few of us still building, running and enjoying these old boats. Membership is open to all. You don’t have to own a Sternwheel to join.

I’ve joined the ASA! Enjoying my evenings reading through back issues of the mag.

If you have one I’d love to hear about it.
PaddleWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 21:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleWheeler View Post
I’ve joined the ASA! Enjoying my evenings reading through back issues of the mag.

If you have one I’d love to hear about it.
Great. My wife and I own the Sternwheel Lady Carmina. We tore her down to the deck and completely rebuilt the superstructure. Your project is 100% possible. I have done it myself. My biggest surprise is that it takes me 3 times longer to complete a task than I think it should. The people on the ASA site are a full of knowledge.
Farmer9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 00:29   #21

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Oh that looks like fun!! I love ponchartrain and nola in general.... had family in slidell/mandeville too once. Good for you! Keep posting pics of the work
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 04:40   #22

hi have fun stay safe.:
I made a small paddle wheel from a plastic barrel w/wood paddles. powered by small 12 volt motor. Placed behind a 23' sailboat. I was surprised that it worked. It did for a short distance then motor got wet. Back to drawing board. Right now working on 2 side wheels powered by 24 volt jazzy scooter motors. Also playing with a smaller paddle wheel powered by trolling motor. Water proofed.

I can't get boat in water now ==virus restrictions==but gives me something to work on.

Neighbor liked the paddle wheel. So he is making different model to go on a canoe with outrigger.
Old 25-03-2020, 16:22   #23

That is very cool! Tha would make some great YouTube videos!
steveinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 19:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer9009 View Post
Great. My wife and I own the Sternwheel Lady Carmina. We tore her down to the deck and completely rebuilt the superstructure. Your project is 100% possible. I have done it myself. My biggest surprise is that it takes me 3 times longer to complete a task than I think it should. The people on the ASA site are a full of knowledge.

Do you have any pictures of the rebuild? What’s the name of your boat? These are pretty unique and I’m speaking to as many people as I can who have first hand knowledge.

I’d love to see some pictures if you have some. Feel free to DM me
PaddleWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel