Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2022, 06:29   #31

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Overhaul & refit of a Falmouth Gypsy 24 (1973)

Following. Some pics of the interior would be nice when you get a chance.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 07:42   #32

Boat: Falmouth Gypsy Mk2

Sorry, make that 146 (circa 1973)
JulesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 15:24   #33

Boat: Falmouth Gypsy 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMoore View Post
Sorry, make that 146 (circa 1973)

Hi JulesMoore, sorry, my new job and the weather took the chances away to check on the boat or do anyhting on it yet. My hope for better weather was destroyed roght now, started to snow again but the forecast for the next week looks good (hopefully it stays nice for the weekend).

Michael

https://www.sailing-bluewater.com/blog/
mike_sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 15:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Following. Some pics of the interior would be nice when you get a chance.

Will give it a shot when the weather becomes more nice and less snowy... bit yes, will go there, maybe even the upcoming weekend, don't know yet. Will do some pics and also maybe a video for my YouTube channel.

Michael

Old 30-04-2023, 09:27   #35

Hi there,
I've a good selection of Falmouth Gypsy parts I'm selling off cheep, I've everything from brand new mainsail, jib and Genoa, never been onboard let alone up the mast, a full set of , again, brand new interior cushions, never been sat on, Push pit, pulpit, tabernacle, guard rails jib car and travelers and lots more ,all in very good condition. If you'd like me to send you a list of parts you can see what you fancy and I'll send you some photos, As I said I'm not looking for big money, just would like to do something to get a gypsy back sailing, (one of my favourite boats)
Hope to hear from you
Pete
Petercookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 11:38   #36

Boat: Falmouth Gypsy Mk2

Thanks for your message. Definitely interested to see what you have. What happened to your Gypsy?!
JulesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 11:49   #37

Hi Jules
My email address is peterbrynas@gmail.com
If you send me your email address I'll send you a list of parts and some photos.
It's a long story about "Indi" my lovely Gypsy, that would be better told over a glass or two of wine
Speak soon, Pete
Petercookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 21:23   #38

These are great boats. I sold up and got a bigger boat but I have a huge fondness for the old girl and my regular crew who learnt to sail on her still talk about her a lot. She was a small boat but could ride over big waves and go upwind nicely.

Don’t go into this if you are a bit skint and looking for a bargain or trying to flip her and make a profit. My philosophy was: Every week I work hard and earn some money. And every week lots of that money gets spent on worthwhile things like council tax and food for the children and toilet paper and bin bags. All that daily grind stuff is all well and good but doesn’t bring you much joy. . But being the custodian of a classic such as a Gypsy, I always found I could dig out some cash from somewhere to patch her up and make little improvements

Here is my advice:

Mk-Ii top deck - originally was just painted wood. It will rot one day. Sounds like your has. If it’s not too late sand the whole lot and cover it with fibreglass. I spent a fortnight one summer working with a traditional shipwright - I laboured and he ‘let in’ wood in various places to bring her back to life. I spent more than I sold her for, and I sold her to people who I judged would do the same . No regrets whatsoever

That old Sabb engine - these are fantastic pieces of machinery. The company eventually got into businness making lifeboat engines because Sabbs always start. Even 10 years without a service. That huge flywheel let’s you do stunts like throttle the engine back to 20 rpm. Literally chug 1s 2s chug 4s 5s chug. No electronics to get damp and go wrong. It’s part of the boat and it’s character - fix it and learn it’s quirks. Don’t replace - they last forever

I had a great chat in Newport harbour on the Isle of Wight with a young fellow on a Gypsy who spotted mine and rowed over. He bought his for peanuts on Anglesey in N Wales, sallied it round Cornwall in a gale and made it safely to Hampshire. The gale was apparently ‘fine because he was on a run with reefed sails so it was just like surfing’

I am enjoying my newer bigger boat with it higher freeboard and more spacious accommodation but bigger boards get you into bigger trouble and cost more. One day I’ll trade down to something easier to handle and a Falmouth Gypsy will be top of my list

Don’t let a purchase price of £500 (rotten/abandoned) to £4000 (really well looked after) fool you. You are getting something that is worth many many thousands when new, and when she’s looking after you when you are out there in the rough stuff, you’ll not regret the £1000 you spent on new sails that whisk you quickly to the next port or the £500 on the hand crafted rudder that spins you round on a sixpence when you need it to dodge a pot. If you can afford, do it, it’s not that expensive if you fix things year by year.
The way I did it was I fixed one major essential expensive but boring thing every year,, but also did two trivial nice-to-have improvements as well just to feel like progress was made

Good luck. If you got any skills you’ll be fine.if you don’t, you learn soon enough and be fine. Join a boat club and listen to the advice!
GypsyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 21:39   #39

These things were built in Cornwall in the SW of England. Don’t let the mild climate kid you. The rest of the UK hides behind Ireland. Cornwall juts proudly out into the Atlantic Ocean and boats that sail those waters have to be tough
Hence the flared bow profile and raised ‘’wall’’ around the cockpit that looks like what you see on old fishing boats. Don’t deliberately take a little boat like this out in a storm, but if it gets a bit rough, out there she’ll get you home OK
GypsyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 15:05   #40

Hi Michael
Interested to follow your post and progress with your Gypsy. My son and I often visit Ardrossan and there's a Gypsy there that may be abandoned. We've been going for a few years now and it seems to have been untouched in that time. You could contact the marina for more details - if it has been abandoned they may be open to you having a look for spares etc. I can send you a few photos of her if you're interested.
Best, Kev
Westerly Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 10:29   #41

I would like to know the contact details, not sure yet what will happen with my Gypsy since we found a severe damage of the hull (where the middle keel is attched). Some guys in the harbour told me to dump the boat, so not sure yet what to do.
But the contact details would be great, maybe this will enlighten me to go on with my Gypsy, otherwise I might have to close the files and stop wasting money into that pit...

Old 31-03-2024, 05:50   #42

Hi Mike. Don't know any ownership details but it seems to be on the hard standing area of Clyde Marina (albeit a pretty neglected corner). They're probably your best bet to contact. 01294607077 or info@clydemarina.com
Westerly Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 10:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerly Wonder View Post
Hi Mike. Don't know any ownership details but it seems to be on the hard standing area of Clyde Marina (albeit a pretty neglected corner). They're probably your best bet to contact. 01294607077 or info@clydemarina.com

Thank you for the answer. I will give it a go, like I said, otherwise I have to abandon my project since the boat got this crack in the hull. I think it is a storm damage since we never spotted this damage before.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:09   #44

No problem :-) I've attached some photos - she's quite neglected unfortunately, so I didn't want you to make a special visit and be disappointed. The map shows the hardstanding for the marina with the boat circled in red. When we visited last (Feb) it had been moved to the green circle - feels like it's being moved into increasingly abandoned parts of the marina as time goes by. Good luck with the refit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	288396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy1a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	288397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy2a.jpg