Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2021, 03:06   #1

Boat: Falmouth Gypsy 24
Falmouth Gypsy refit

Hello, I found a Falmouth Gypsy 24ft to get back into sailing. The boat is from 1973 and in a pretty bad shape. I want to refit it.

The hull is watertight and the three keels are fine. The driveshaft is working and the 10bhp Sabb engine works somehow (needs a rework though). The deck and the cabin needs a revamp since the plywood is almost rotten. The rig is ok but the sails also might need replaced. The boat was for free and will be my little job for the next six month.

Question is now, do you guys think it would be worth to replace the Sabb engine with an electric motor (6.6kW or higher)?
mike_sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 03:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Falmouth Gypsy refit

No.. not if you plan on sailing in open waters.. if your keeping it in a Loch you'll be fine.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 03:39   #3

Re: Falmouth Gypsy refit

Cool project, Mike! I agree with Boatie (great new pic by the way, Boatie - very dashing!) revamp the Saab in-place and save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Here's a fun refit thread from fellow Forum Member, Spot (Jim):

Interior Refit 1970s Kit Sailboat
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-236747.html

Jim has kept us posted all along and provided a lot of great pictures. Hope you will, too.

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 04:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you've never owned a triple keeler before you should be aware that in certain sea conditions those keels will effectively stop you dead near enough making fwd progress under sail (less) or motor a stop-go affair..
Keep the engine or upgrade to a new diesel.. these are after all primarily motor sailers.
Falmouth Gypsy Class Association

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-12-2021, 04:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sco View Post
,,. The boat was for free and will be my little job for the next six month...
Teacher: Do you know what estimate means?
Student: Not exactly.

Teacher: Yes you are right.
Student: About what:

Teacher: Also correct.
Student: I guess...

Teacher: Indeed.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:54   #6

Thank you boatman61, fairly enough, I never owned a triple keeler before. The previous boat was a Hunter 36 (1981). I sailed quiet a few nm with her. Then 9 years ago I had to give up the hobby. Now living at the north coast of Scotland I just found this wee little boat and it caught me.

So I want to revive it and also will get back into sailing. I have already a Hallberg Rassy 38 in the pipeline (wont be available before end of 2022) which means I have a lot of time to fix the Falmouth and getting back into sailing.
I got told the triple keel could be helpful with the rough sea here in Scotland. After your advise I will keep the Sabb engine, can't see the point in spending a few thousand GBP for a new engine when the boat has barely a value. I could have gotten cheap an electric motor but if this is not worth it I just keep the diesel engine.

Thank you for the advise and I hope I can get back to you when questions come up.
Michael
Old 27-12-2021, 15:57   #7

Thank you @LittleWing77 for your advise as well. I will keep the diesel engine. My Falmouth looks pretty equal to the boat of your friend. A lot to do for me, saldy it's not only the interior for me, it's also the cabin roof. I will keep you guys updated and also will provide some pictures in the nearer future (as long as you guys are interested).

Michael
Old 27-12-2021, 16:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you boatman61, fairly enough, I never owned a triple keeler before. The previous boat was a Hunter 36 (1981). I sailed quiet a few nm with her. Then 9 years ago I had to give up the hobby. Now living at the north coast of Scotland I just found this wee little boat and it caught me.

So I want to revive it and also will get back into sailing. I have already a Hallberg Rassy 38 in the pipeline (wont be available before end of 2022) which means I have a lot of time to fix the Falmouth and getting back into sailing.
I got told the triple keel could be helpful with the rough sea here in Scotland. After your advise I will keep the Sabb engine, can't see the point in spending a few thousand GBP for a new engine when the boat has barely a value. I could have gotten cheap an electric motor but if this is not worth it I just keep the diesel engine.

Thank you for the advise and I hope I can get back to you when questions come up.
Michael
If you read the link I provided you will see that they can still be fun boats to own.. enjoy refitting a classic..

Old 28-12-2021, 04:42   #9

Hello @boatman61, the link didn't work the first time, tried it again today and it works now. Will have a read though it.
Thank you, I hope I will enjoy the refit and I hope it will not burn all my money at all lol...
I opened a wordpress blog where I will also document the refitting process but I will keep you guys updated here as well.

Michael
Old 28-12-2021, 05:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hello @boatman61, the link didn't work the first time, tried it again today and it works now. Will have a read though it.
Thank you, I hope I will enjoy the refit and I hope it will not burn all my money at all lol...
I opened a wordpress blog where I will also document the refitting process but I will keep you guys updated here as well.

Michael
Good man.. will keep my eyes open..
Good to see some of these GOB's are being restored to former glory.

Old 29-12-2021, 12:44   #11

ok guys, here some pictures of the Gypsy... as you can see the deck is pretty much rotten, also inside, the upholstery is missing except one piece (which is rotten). The door to the toilet / head is missing as the foldable table. The gimbal of the cooker is a wee bit rusty as the cooker itself (but it fires up still). The electric needs an overhaul or maybe completet replacement, I would like to exchange it with LED. The sea toilet needs a good clean but works.

The deck itself is rotten and needs a lot of work, the rails along the deck are so bad rotten that you shouldn't pull on those. The sails are still in the sellers garage and not yet unfold (maybe rotten as well). So as you can see, a lot of work to do. The hull looks watertight so does the keels. The drive shaft needs new seals and the prop needs a good clean. The rudder seems to be repaired once but not professionally.

Any tips if I should marine plywood or if I should try to build the deck out of fibreglass? I am not sure about that. Both might be expensive, the prices for marine plywood have increased a lot.

The picture above shows the pick up in Findochty Harbour (December 6th 2021) around 7:30 pm (after work). The driver of the hiab is a colleague and friend of mine which made it much easier.

Here a link to the video on my YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/sqP4ytNOYis

This was taken shortly before I picked up the boat, the video was taken still in Findochty Harbour.

Michael
Old 02-01-2022, 01:21   #12

I started this thread for the process and questions about the overhaul and restauration / refit of our Flamouth Gypsy...

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-259362.html

https://www.sailing-bluewater.com/blog/

Tags
gypsy, refit