Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2023, 19:31   #16

Re: onan 7KW

The boat I am looking at would have an Onan Generator if it burns 1 gal/hr. a 8 hour night is actually quite a bit of fuel. Its not the cost that concerns me as much as Tankering all that fuel
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 14:13   #17

Boat: Taswell 43

We sail a 43' monohull, with 2 aircons, a watermaker, an ac refer, and other electrics installed, Plus...the Admiral insists on cooking on an electric stove. We have an Onan 6.5kva diesel genset installed, and run 2x (sometimes 3x) every day-unless we happen to be in a marina. The only time we use our aircons is when there no breeze (rare, but it happens), in Asia, or in a marina. And our only marina time is just after we resplash, or getting ready to haul out for hurricane season......ie, not often, fans work really well! Anyway, our 1989 Onan, with some 5700 hours, starts and runs every day, 2-3 times, and almost never hic-ups. I'd call that reliable!. Ours is set up for230vAC, 50Hz, so our 6/5kva machine tops out around 27amps....we typically run around 10-18amps, and based on the past 18 years of records, she burns 0.33gph at that load. At 230vAC, I'd guess your aircon pulls about 6-7 amps. so 3(7)=21amps, a little heavier loaded than we typically see, for 8 hours (assuming no thermostat and no cycling), so 8hrs(0.4gph)=3.2gal per night-worst case. If you want to carry that much gas on board....be my guest, but not me! I don't think it's even a contest, given the reliability, the diesel fuel consumption, and the load you're talking about. Oh, I forgot to mention...we've been operating this way since 2001 or 2002.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 14:33   #18

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I Love little Honda generators but would never think about running it unattended all night for a bunch of reasons.
CO risk
Noisy
Fire risk
Large amount of gasoline/petrol to store
Theft

Catamaran with a lot of solar and big LFP house bank can do this with efficient aircons.
Old 18-04-2023, 18:52   #19

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
skipperPete
I understand that some don't run generators while at anchor. I know that when I charter in the Caribbean ,I really enjoy Air Con in the evening. Maybe I will get used to the heat but I dont want to depend on that. When I visited my friend in the TuaMotos, I LOVED that he had aircon. He said everyone loved his boat because of it. Ironically, he was on a 35 ft benetau Ocenanis and used a window unit in the gangway and a honda portable to run it. Worked like a charm when I was there

Potentially quite dangerous, when current overpowers a light breeze and boat is not head to wind and the gasoline fumes get sucked in to the aircon unit when everyone is asleep. (Gasoline has much higher CO then diesel)
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 19:21   #20

I guess that would be a theoretical risk
Seems likeCO detectors could mitigate that risk.
Besides the air intake for these AC units is usually in the same cabin
My friend is still pretty convinced about the idea
I’m still considering it
Old 19-04-2023, 20:25   #21

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

These were not designed for boats, it is a cheapskate antisocial option with heightened risks, if you poisoned or killed a guest on your boat I doubt the insurer will pay the claim by the victims family.

Per Honda Website:

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A generator’s exhaust contains toxic carbon monoxide, which you cannot see or smell. Breathing carbon monoxide can KILL YOU IN MINUTES. To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, follow these instructions when operating a generator:
  1. Only run a generator OUTSIDE, far away from windows, doors, and vents.
  2. Never operate a generator inside a house, garage, basement, crawl space, or any enclosed or partially enclosed space.
  3. Never operate a generator near open doors or windows.
  4. Get fresh air and seek medical attention immediately if you suspect you have inhaled carbon monoxide.
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. Continued exposure to carbon monoxide can cause loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and then death.

Fire

Parts of a generator become very hot during operation and remain hot for a while after stopping the engine. Be careful not to touch the muffler while it is hot. Let the engine cool before storing the generator indoors.
Keep flammable materials away from the generator when it is running.
Keep the generator at least three feet (one meter) away from buildings when the engine is running. The generator needs at least three feet of clearance on the top and all four sides for cooling.
Gasoline is extremely flammable and gasoline vapors can explode. Do not refuel while the engine is hot or running, and do not overfill the fuel tank. Refuel only outdoors in a well ventilated area. Never smoke near gasoline, and keep flames and sparks away. Store fuel in an approved container.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 12:37   #22

Agree with .3 to .5 gal per hr for a 6Kw genset. A challenge with portable units is the noise....seems loud even 5 boats away in anchorage...built in are much quieter, though do create heat once stopped as most are water cooled.
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 08:56   #23

thank you John Holland and sail crazy. It is good to know that fuel burn will be .5 gph or a bit under. My friend has changed his mind a bit and now would like to have the built in
generator. So Likely we will end up with one.
As far as the AC. Well I can only say that previously when visiting the Caribbean we have used the AC most every night. I guess we are just spoiled but I am unsure I will enjoy living without AC most nights. Can I do it, sure. Would I prefer to have it? likely.
I guess we will have to see.
don