Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 07:22   #1

Westerbeke 7kw hunts when loaded

I have a westerbeke bcga 7kw generator and I cant get it to run properly when loaded. It runs great when there is no load, as soon as I put a load on it, it starts to hunt slowly at first then gets worse and worse until it dies. Voltage output starts off at 120v and fluctuates the worse it hunts. Any suggestions as to what may be the problem? I have tried carb and governor adjustments with no success.
koryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:35   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Westerbeke 7kw hunts when loaded

You say "carb" so gas generator? If so try simple things plugs, distributor cap ,rotor and wires. We have diesel in the boat but gas at home. The gas gen is way more load sensitive. Little things like temperature even effects it.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:52   #3

It is a gas generator. I have replaced all of those things. I work at a boat shop (run about boats) I have had some of our more experienced mechanics helping me one that has generator experience and we have kind of hit a wall, I was hoping maybe someone on here had experience with this gen and maybe knew a quark or something we didn't. The generator is out of the boat and in the shop, I have loaded it down with two heaters. With one it runs so so but when you load it with two it goes down hill quick.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:03   #4

Compression checks out good?
Governor sticky/ wore out?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:18   #5

The gas gens in our motorhomes had a "winter summer" air intake. Also altitude adjustment (high speed jet) correction. Very picky about fuel mixture, get it wrong and it would "hunt". If you don't have adjustable high speed check float level.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Compression checks out good?
Governor sticky/ wore out?
Compression is good, the governor is a concern but I would need to know for certain that it is the problem before replacing as there $2000.

We have played with the idle screw with a vacuum gauge hooked up and that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference.

A friend that has experience with generators (non-marine) said it could possibly be a voltage regulator, any thoughts on that?
Old 09-06-2016, 19:11   #7

Ok, found a free PDF manual. You don't have a adjustable high speed jet. So if float level and needle/seat are ok fuel system should be ok. All of the documents I found stated not to use over 10% ethanol.
The gen does however have a "hunting" adjustment on the governor. Have you tried to adjust this?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14   #8

Boat: Island Gypsy 44'

I would start looking at the air intake screen. If it has anybuild up, it will cause your problem....Good luck
firefly 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Ok, found a free PDF manual. You don't have a adjustable high speed jet. So if float level and needle/seat are ok fuel system should be ok. All of the documents I found stated not to use over 10% ethanol.
The gen does however have a "hunting" adjustment on the governor. Have you tried to adjust this?
There are 3 adjustments on the governor of which we have played with all. I have also downloaded the manual and gone step by step through the tuning process with the governor. That resulted in the motor running smooth unloaded however loaded it still hunts. The generator has sat for some time since it has been used. The governor had no oil in it, I filled it to its proper level and seems to be working properly, all the adjustments on the governor made changes and the arm seems to be moving freely without sticking.

At the moment there is no air cleaner on the carb while we were going through the test and tune process. It did not have an air cleaner / flame arrestor when I got it so I purchased an aftermarket K&N marine flame arrestor.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I'm open to try pretty much anything at this point.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:46   #10

You may have a problem with the safety sensors if yourmodel has what is known as the C02 safe controls. If it thinks that it is running rich, it will shut down or go to idle. The screen I was talking about is also the uscg flame arrestor. About the size of a half dollar, up in the intake pipe. Good luck
Old 10-06-2016, 09:53   #11

That (k&n) may be your problem. You may be running too lean. Try restricting the filter with masking tape. Go slow and see if you can get it to run smooth. Like I said about ours they are very picky about air/fuel ratio.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:55   #12

It may prove helpful if you poster the year, model and s/n of yourunit. The manual has a good trouble shooting flow chart.....
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07   #13

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Get the old gasoline out and put fresh fill it may work
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:33   #14

Wondering if you figured it out and what is was????

Tags
loa, westerbeke