Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 21:56   #1

Hunter Legend 40.5, rudder stock

Hi
Does anyone have drawings showing how the rudder stock is connected to the quadrant? I run across a floating log that went under the hull from the bow to the stern and was pushed out on the PS by the prop. After removing the cockpit floor I see that the quadrant is twisted by about 15 deg. from the center line. There is no jamming so it looks like no bending but twisting occurred. But how that could happen? I was going 7 knts straight fwd under the engine.
Any ideas? Any photos, sketches, or drawings? I will be hauling the boat out in a few days and want to prepare myself for repairs./ik
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rudder stock twist.pdf (509.0 KB, 48 views)
irekkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 01:21   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Hunter Legend 40.5, rudder stock

The s/s tube you are looking at with the cross bolt through the radial is at an angle suggesting a bent or twisted rudder stock ,the check would be to go hard over pt to stbd ,are the wheel turns the same from straight ahead ,the cross bolt appears to be intact .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 03:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See pages 66, 67, & 68, of Hunter Owner's Manual, which also refers you to the Whitlock provided material, for details:
https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-con...ual%202005.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 18:32   #4

Thx Gord. I looked at the manual. The strange thing is that the manual says the rudder stock is made of fiberglass! I must say that I am unused to it, being yr age most likely.
Pls also note that Hunter 41 has a round quadrant with a wire going around. Looks totally different than on 41.
It looks to me that the rudder stock shaft ends with an aluminum-made sleeve to which the quadrant is attached. Will try Whitlock, see what they have on their website./ik
Old 15-08-2023, 18:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
The s/s tube you are looking at with the cross bolt through the radial is at an angle suggesting a bent or twisted rudder stock ,the check would be to go hard over pt to stbd ,are the wheel turns the same from straight ahead ,the cross bolt appears to be intact .⚓️⛵️
Hello down under!
Indeed looks like a twisted shaft. Just found that udder stock is made out of fiberglass! That is new to me. The top end that I see is sort of aluminum sleeve. How do these two connect? That is what I am looking for. Is the aluminum sleeve shrank on the end of the PCV shaft? To allow for connecting the quadrant?
Big question: if this is PCV tube that got twisted, how do you do repairs?/ik

Tags
hunter, rudder