Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2023, 19:51   #1

Can I use gel coat repair kit on awlgrip?

So my hull is painted with awlgrip. I have a small ding from my anchor right on the bow. It is smaller than a dime but does go through to the fiberglass. It’s in a location where a perfect match isn’t a huge deal because you would never be able to see it without searching for it.

My question is; can I use a gel coat repair kit to seal it up and make sure no water makes it’s way in? I was thinking about using

https://www.westmarine.com/evercoat-...t-1934454.html
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 22:06   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Can I use gel coat repair kit on awlgrip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
So my hull is painted with awlgrip. I have a small ding from my anchor right on the bow. It is smaller than a dime but does go through to the fiberglass. It’s in a location where a perfect match isn’t a huge deal because you would never be able to see it without searching for it.

My question is; can I use a gel coat repair kit to seal it up and make sure no water makes it’s way in? I was thinking about using

https://www.westmarine.com/evercoat-...t-1934454.html
What color is your hull? If white, then I recommend you use MarineTex. You can also buy very small cans of Interlux Brightside paint that you can use with an artist brush to seal the laminate.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 18:54   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I have used MarineTex, but it's been a while.

I've used PC11 (white) and PC7 (dark grey) much more recently, thinking it was tougher or less brittle. I like how you can smooth off the surface finish of the PCs with alcohol, but perhaps you can do that with MarineTex as well.

I'd be interested in how others think they compare.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 07:30   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I have used MarineTex, but it's been a while.

I've used PC11 (white) and PC7 (dark grey) much more recently, thinking it was tougher or less brittle. I like how you can smooth off the surface finish of the PCs with alcohol, but perhaps you can do that with MarineTex as well.

I'd be interested in how others think they compare.
I like the PC products as well. I have seen salvagers use it underwater with success.

Yes you can smooth MarineTex out too. Same for epoxy sticks. For small dings even with a wet finger.

The thing about PC11 is that I’m not sure on it’s UV resistance, while MarineTex (from memory) does claim it has good resistance. So if you don’t paint it, this is a consideration and why I suggest MarineTex.

That said, I did an experiment with regular West System epoxy, thickened with colloidal silica and colored with their white pigment and it seems to perform the same.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 07:59   #5

Yes you can. Clean it well first. Marinetex is good. You can tape wax paper over the spot you fill while it hardens which will flatten it nicely to the surface if you dont put too much Marinetex in the gouge.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair