Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 17:12   #31

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: NL oil pressure

The filters I picked up in FP are made by fleet guard which looking online seems to be a decent quality. I've also put over a hundred hours on the genny since using them (changing every 50 hours) but will go and source one here and change it out.

I already drained the oil before I removed the relief valve as I wasn't sure how much would spill when I removed it so will top up with new anyway and also prefill the filter before installing.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:13   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
How many hours on the engine? Sorry if it's been posted & I missed it but I'd be checking oil pump tolerances after other tips by previous posters if it's a high hours engine.
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
@wotname, it was from a cold start, there was no load on it and she's only had (allegedly) 540 hours running time.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:19   #33

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Fleet guard are good filters. That's Cummins.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:57   #34

Possibly clutching at straws here, but I have recently replaced the water pump and also adjusted the valve clearances. I ran it afterwards- albeit briefly- to check it was working fine and there were no problems, but just wondering if this could have had an impact?
Old 14-05-2020, 18:23   #35

Because it’s yet another slow day in lockdown and that very low lube oil pressure is about the most serious thing that can happen to an engine ( especially a generator engine)I opened up a fram spin on from a NL 643. Its a full flow filter with a relief valve on the bottom and a non return valve on the top and I can’t see how or what in the filter could cause low lube oil pressure. If the bypass valve failed, unfiltered oil would still flow and it’s hard to see how the big non return valve could block the flow[emoji845]
However, I would still change the filter and then.... because there ain’t much to do really.... I,d open up the old filter and unfold the paper element in a search for metal particles that might indicate a deeper fault. The oil pressure alarm switch operates at 4.3psi. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	215089
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:34   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe he said 540 hours just barely broken in
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:39   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Because it’s yet another slow day in lockdown and that very low lube oil pressure is about the most serious thing that can happen to an engine ( especially a generator engine)I opened up a fram spin on from a NL 643. Its a full flow filter with a relief valve on the bottom and a non return valve on the top and I can’t see how or what in the filter could cause low lube oil pressure. If the bypass valve failed, unfiltered oil would still flow and it’s hard to see how the big non return valve could block the flow[emoji845]
However, I would still change the filter and then.... because there ain’t much to do really.... I,d open up the old filter and unfold the paper element in a search for metal particles that might indicate a deeper fault. The oil pressure alarm switch operates at 4.3psi. Attachment 215089

The media can collapse or I swear the one time I saw it I think they left the media covered in plastic or similar. I didn’t cut it open or inspect it, it was someone else’s boat that he “fixed” his low oil pressure with a filter change.
Some of the bargain off brand filters may not have a bypass valve or a drain back valve.
I believe he sourced it in Singapore or simiar?
Nut for $5, why not give it a shot, maybe he will get lucky. On a 500 hour engine, there really shouldn’t be any reason at all for 5 PSI oil pressure at I assume 1500 RPM on cold oil.
If he didn’t install a direct reading gauge, I’d be suspect with that number, but he has a low PSI problem, and installed a direct reading gauge, if I followed the thread correctly.
Old 14-05-2020, 18:44   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Possibly clutching at straws here, but I have recently replaced the water pump and also adjusted the valve clearances. I ran it afterwards- albeit briefly- to check it was working fine and there were no problems, but just wondering if this could have had an impact?
I don’t see how, valves if too tight you will lose performance, but no effect on oil pressure, especially not cold. Too loose and they rattle but again no oil pressure change.
If it was running stinking hot as in boil over hot that will drop oil pressure, but to 5 PSI? and you got that I’m assuming on a cold motor, you didn’t run it long at that pressure?
So even assuming you messed up the water pump change it shouldn’t matter.
You had to change the water pump on a 500 hr engine?

Just read the Fleet guard comment, unless they were counterfeit, They are an excellent filter, up there with NAPA gold, Wix and some others.
Old 14-05-2020, 18:45   #39

If it does come down to being a faulty oil pump, give the thread a heads up before you try to tackle the job yourself. Its not a terribly difficult project but there are a few things you really need to know that will save you hours of work.... that aren’t mentioned in any service manual. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3810.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	215090
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 19:33   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Here you go

Ok thanks Wottie & A64,with those low hours shouldn't be oil pump.
HOWEVER I bought an engine with 463 hrs ( didn't believe it ) & a way over tolerance oil pump. I think I'd still be checking the oil pump, more likely than filter failure but easier & logical to check filter failure & PRV first.
Pity it's a PITA to get at. Very curious to see how this one pans out

To OP. Has the engine suddenly become very noisy? Agree with all the other posters not to run for any length of time with such low oil pressure as you risk catastrophic engine damage. Ask me how I know?
Compass790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 19:44   #41

Did you have to adjust the valve lash a lot or was it close? I have never seen or heard of a confirmed oil pump failure even on high hour engines. The oil doesn't have a diesel smell to it does it? Did you adjust the valves as preventative maintenance or to correct an issue?
Old 14-05-2020, 19:53   #42

If this low oil pressure happened all the sudden, it's not a wear issue but a failure issue. Oil pressure will decrease very slowly with wear but 5 psi would never happen. I didn't find any hits in google about that engine and low oil pressure. You might want to see if there are any technical bulletins about that problem. If I were you I'd recheck the valve lash if that's the last thing you did to the engine.
Old 14-05-2020, 20:06   #43

So took off the filter, cut it open and took out the membrane for a look and no visible signs of any metal bits in it.

Replaced with new filter, loaded up the oil and started it, and still getting an oil pressure of 5psi...

I barely adjusted the valves, and only had a look at them as the manual says check every six hundered hours. As its lockdown I had a bit of time on my hands...!

When I say 540 hours, this is what is showing on the clock, but the genny was installed in 2003 which is why Im a little suspicious of the hours (that and a number of other things have had to be worked on since I took ownershipt- exhaust elbow, exhaust temp over heat sensor, injectors, bushes and the AC AVR. I replaced the water pump as it started leaking and while trying to repair it I broke it even futher

Also, and this may have a bearing on the issue, the genny had been sat unused for around four years when I bought the boat.
Old 14-05-2020, 20:15   #44

But it ran well with good oil pressure?
Old 14-05-2020, 20:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
But it ran well with good oil pressure?