Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2022, 16:02   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Mystery propane sensor alarm

My Trident propane alarm has been going off recently. Today was 18 minutes after starting cooking. The sensor is mounted just below the oven, at the level of the sole.

I have an analog pressure gauge mounted near the tank. I regularly check for leakage by opening the propane solenoid, closing the manual valve on the propane tank, and checking to see if the pressure in the line drops. I have NO pressure drop, even after two hours. This tells me the propane line to the stove burner valves is leak tight. Also, the alarm does not go off during this two hour period.

It is a Tasco stove, about seven years old.

Any thoughts on what may be causing the alarm to go off? We are in a marina with the AC on, so hatches are closed and we don’t have the ventilation we do when at anchor. Could it be combustion products from the stove? Seems unlikely, since the sensor is located beneath the oven.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 16:22   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Mystery propane sensor alarm

These alarms are very trigger happy apparently.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/saf...d-false-alarms
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 17:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Our Trident propane alarm goes off when making breakfast Bloody Marys or just about anytime we spill liquor in the galley area. It's super sensitive. Same is true if someone sprays bug repellent nearby.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 17:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
Our Trident propane alarm goes off when making breakfast Bloody Marys or just about anytime we spill liquor in the galley area. It's super sensitive. Same is true if someone sprays bug repellent nearby.
I agree, the unit is sensitive. My wife and I are very careful not to spill any rum, so we can’t speak to the sensitivity of the sensor to alcohol.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 22-09-2022, 21:21   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

QUOTE"We are in a marina with the AC on, so hatches are closed and we don’t have the ventilation we do when at anchor"UNQUOTE

Obviously that is the cause.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...rm-223586.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 13:15   #6

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I comment for what it may be worth- you say sensor is below stove , I would consider that a further sensor should be in each lower bilge. Even a mouse hole can allow gas to flow. Permanent ventilation , regular bilge pumping and blowers especially when engine is using a lot of air , are highly recommended.
BobFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 19:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Just to mention that our Trident system and sensor is energized around the clock. We are rarely at marinas. Not just rum but vodka as well.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 13:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
QUOTE"We are in a marina with the AC on, so hatches are closed and we don’t have the ventilation we do when at anchor"UNQUOTE

Obviously that is the cause.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...rm-223586.html
Australian humor! Cheers!

Steve
Old 25-09-2022, 04:37   #9

Boat: CSY 44

I was told the sensor couldn't smell vodka
floydmiami1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 11:09   #10

Carbon monoxide can be generated from the propane burning in some cases. Your alarm may be detecting that. This page has a good explanation: https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/2107-d...o-natural-gas/
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 00:11   #11

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
My Trident propane alarm has been going off recently. Today was 18 minutes after starting cooking. The sensor is mounted just below the oven, at the level of the sole.

I have an analog pressure gauge mounted near the tank. I regularly check for leakage by opening the propane solenoid, closing the manual valve on the propane tank, and checking to see if the pressure in the line drops. I have NO pressure drop, even after two hours. This tells me the propane line to the stove burner valves is leak tight. Also, the alarm does not go off during this two hour period.

Any thoughts on what may be causing the alarm to go off? We are in a marina with the AC on, so hatches are closed and we don’t have the ventilation we do when at anchor. Could it be combustion products from the stove? Seems unlikely, since the sensor is located beneath the oven.

Cheers!

Steve
Almost certainly your stove is not burning all of the gas it is consuming.

Very common with ovens that use a pilot light. There is a significant delay between the gas starting to flow again and the pilot light igniting the gas.
Old 26-09-2022, 05:39   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

Cheers!

Steve

your "test" only covers you from the tank to the solenoid (which is normally within the fist 12 inches from the tank). What about the rest of the line?

I would soap test the joint at the stove and any other joints in the system in the vicinity of the stove.

Their sensors are normally pretty good. I've been using them on different boats for 20+ years, never an issue. Their Solenoids... are almost annual disposables!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 06:22   #13

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
your "test" only covers you from the tank to the solenoid (which is normally within the fist 12 inches from the tank). What about the rest of the line?

I would soap test the joint at the stove and any other joints in the system in the vicinity of the stove.

Their sensors are normally pretty good. I've been using them on different boats for 20+ years, never an issue. Their Solenoids... are almost annual disposables!
l"eakage by opening the propane solenoid, closing the manual valve on the propane tank,"

He's doing it right. After pressurizing the entire system, he closes the tank valve, leaving the solenoid on. Now everything from the tank valve to the stove valves are pressurized.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 06:31   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
l"eakage by opening the propane solenoid, closing the manual valve on the propane tank,"

He's doing it right. After pressurizing the entire system, he closes the tank valve, leaving the solenoid on. Now everything from the tank valve to the stove valves are pressurized.
Good point I guess I didn't see the "opening the propane solenoid" comment
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 14:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post

Thanks for clarifying for me.

I’ve about decided that there must be a leak between one of the valves on the stove and one of the burners. I’m checking to see if I get the alarm when I use any of the three burners, or only one of them. It’s just a time consuming troubleshooting job.

Appreciate the input, gentlemen.

Steve

Tags
alarm, propane, sensor