Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2022, 10:54   #1

Magnetic door stoppers

we currently have the old style hook and eye bolt door stoppers/catches but our 7 year old is unable to operate them because they are too high. Does anyone know where we can buy those nice new magnetic ones all the manufacturers are using? The ones that have a shock absorber built in?
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 10:59   #2

Re: Magnetic door stoppers

I dont. They are available as hardware store items though. Magnets do rust eventually though.
They are very strong, require a pretty good pull.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 11:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont. They are available as hardware store items though. Magnets do rust eventually though.
They are very strong, require a pretty good pull.

I've seen various ones at hardware stores but I can't find the ones that have the nice spring shock absorbers built in
Old 14-08-2022, 13:32   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I got some on Amazon.
Old 14-08-2022, 13:32   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Lee Valley Hardware
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 13:45   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
we currently have the old style hook and eye bolt door stoppers/catches but our 7 year old is unable to operate them because they are too high. Does anyone know where we can buy those nice new magnetic ones all the manufacturers are using? The ones that have a shock absorber built in?
Borrowing an idea from the Orca thread, you could also get ones with shockers on them to deter 7 year old from coming in when mommy is on the pot.
Old 14-08-2022, 14:45   #7

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We found these latches on eBay 8 years ago.
https://southco.com/en_us_int/latche...window-holders

We have been happy with them. I have not found the lack of a spring to be an issue; however, in very rough conditions I also attach the hook/eye latch to hold the door open.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 16:54   #8

Boat: Grampian 30

Just a thought, adding door stop magnets to your vessel will impact your steering compass. Same goes for audio speakers, a common cockpit or saloon addition, or any ferrous material for that matter.

If you have a remote fluxgate compass nearby (for your autohelm say) that would also be affected.

I was amazed one day to find my boat veering off course as I was motoring merrily along on a calm windless day with my ancient autohelm 2000 in control. (It can't hold a course with any real wind up but it's good enough for motoring.) I leaped back to the wheel only to have the boat veer back on course. "What the..?" I thought. Took me a bit to figure out I had been leaning against the head unit (which has a self contained fluxgate compass) with my phone in my pocket pressed up against it. Although small, that was enough to send it spinning. I tried bringing my phone close to my steering compass, same result. My phone now has a dedicated spot just inside the companionway where I can reach it if I need it.

If you do go ahead with adding magnets, and still want to have an accurate steering compass for 'just in case' you may want to swing it and update your deviation card afterwards. I have since done that with all my electronics on board, turned on, and in their usual homes.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 17:15   #9

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
Just a thought, adding door stop magnets to your vessel will impact your steering compass. Same goes for audio speakers, a common cockpit or saloon addition, or any ferrous material for that matter.
The general guideline (& NMEA) is to keep anything magnetic at least 3' away from a compass. Our closest magnetic door stop is over 12' away and has no discernable effect on the compass.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 18:47   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

If you have a remote fluxgate compass nearby (for your autohelm say) that would also be affected.

I was amazed one day to find my boat veering off course as I was motoring merrily along on a calm windless day with my ancient autohelm 2000 in control. (It can't hold a course with any real wind up but it's good enough for motoring.) I leaped back to the wheel only to have the boat veer back on course. "What the..?" I thought. Took me a bit to figure out I had been leaning against the head unit (which has a self contained fluxgate compass) with my phone in my pocket pressed up against it. Although small, that was enough to send it spinning. I tried bringing my phone close to my steering compass, same result. My phone now has a dedicated spot just inside the companionway where I can reach it if I need it.

If you do go ahead with adding magnets, and still want to have an accurate steering compass for 'just in case' you may want to swing it and update your deviation card afterwards. I have since done that with all my electronics on board, turned on, and in their usual homes.

Phones and iPhone in particular have very strong magnets in them
Old 14-08-2022, 20:02   #11

Quote:

I never would have thought of that. We do have one, but all the electronics are getting replaced next month so it will be gone.
Old 14-08-2022, 20:27   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
I never would have thought of that. We do have one, but all the electronics are getting replaced next month so it will be gone.
I'd be surprised if your new electronics don't also have a compass so be careful where you put the magnets (and other metal items. This spring a new propane water heater messed up our B&G compass and we had to move it.)