Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2009, 09:16   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Looking for a Specific Thru-Hull Procedure

Hi,

I've run the search engine and came up "zero". Someone here, provided a link to a truly excellent procedure for replacing thru-hulls that I'm looking for. It was someone's blog or something, not a company or product link.

Instead of 4200-ing wooden doughnuts to the inside of the hull, the procedure involved building a fiberglass foundation and other better options. It had photos and everything.

Sorry to be so vague, but if anyone knows what I'm blabbing about and can post the link to the website, I'd be very grateful.
Old 25-12-2009, 09:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
Hi,

I've run the search engine and came up "zero". Someone here, provided a link to a truly excellent procedure for replacing thru-hulls that I'm looking for. It was someone's blog or something, not a company or product link.

Instead of 4200-ing wooden doughnuts to the inside of the hull, the procedure involved building a fiberglass foundation and other better options. It had photos and everything.

Sorry to be so vague, but if anyone knows what I'm blabbing about and can post the link to the website, I'd be very grateful.

Sounds like it could have been my site;

Thru-Hull & Seacock Primer / Pre-Information

Replacing Thru-Hulls & Seacocks

Seacock Backing Plates / Alternate Method / No Through Bolts

Old 25-12-2009, 10:33   #3

Yes, these are them! Thanks a lot. I've bookmarked them for permanent reference. My boat is currently an example of "what not to do" or "what used to be done, 40 years ago".

Call me crazy, but to me it looks like one of mine is mounted on a curvature section of the hull. I'll have to look again. I'm not sure how I would overcome that.

Thanks again.
Old 25-12-2009, 11:14   #4

So I've re-read the procedure again and it's great. I can probably do it. It's just a little intimidating because of phrases like "There is NO room for error with fiberglass". I've also never used a counter-sink before. How do you know what depth to drill?

If I screw this up, I'm really going to be kicking myself. I'm so glad I only have to do two. It would be expensive, but maybe I can practice on a piece of wood or old hull section?
Old 25-12-2009, 19:45   #5

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Hmm I just had a look at this and it strikes me that I could use a similar method to put bronze seacocks onto a steel hull. If I were to make the glass pad a bit larger in diameter, and weld a steel plate donut onto the skin that the pad will nest into, then put a larger diameter donut over the pad to keep it in place. This way I could use metal seacocks without worry about galvanic corrosion.

Anyone care to comment on the idea? I was planning on using marelon fittings but this could be an alternative.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thru hull