Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2008, 14:47   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Rick,
I couldn't find the original thread on Knottybuoyz III so I'll post this link here. I mentioned (several times I guess) about fuel fills that were raised off deck. I just recently came across a picture of a great idea. It's from a Kadey-Krogen 44". Scroll down to page 7.

http://www.kadeykrogen.com/articles/...agazine-13.pdf
Old 19-05-2008, 15:57   #32
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Thnx for the link Frz. I've read that article in the print version. I really like that idea and was thinkin' of something similar, just where to put it is the question, probably won't know till the thing is being built. I want to get one of those Vetus thingies that you put under your fuel fill that catches all the gurgles and splashes. Keeps the fuel from getting out in the first place. With the price of fuel nowadays I think we better put a lock on it too!

It's like winter in Winterpeg here now! Brrrrrrrr Can you keep some of that cold air up your way instead of sending it here? Thnx. Much appreciated!
Old 19-05-2008, 17:10   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Can you keep some of that cold air up your way instead of sending it here?
Nope, noooo way...
Old 19-05-2008, 17:31   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know if a lock or anti-siphon device would be the best. A lock may just cause the perps. to break things. Hmmm, wonder what the forum thinks.
Old 19-05-2008, 18:00   #35
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I don't know if a lock or anti-siphon device would be the best. A lock may just cause the perps. to break things. Hmmm, wonder what the forum thinks.
I think we had a lil' chat a few weeks ago about fuel theft. An anti-siphon device in the fuel line seems the most likely approach we'll take.
Old 01-06-2008, 14:16   #36
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thumbs up Another skill added to the set

Knottygirlz brings her stuff to the trawler project!!!

In preparation to start building our next boat we've (KG & Me) had done a lot of work on our old boat to build up some experience and skills. Her latest one is fabricating zip in plastic windows. We thought we'd take a stab at it ourselves due to the high cost of having them professionally done. So we acquired the tools, HD sewing machine and snap tool especially. Here's her first attempt at a zip in window....

We chose the tinted window material for a number of reasons. UV protection and some privacy. (not that there's a lot of wild monkey jungle sex going on in the cockpit). We'll see how these work out. Well done ole' mummy!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06   #37

Boat: 44 footer
Looks great!
Old 03-06-2008, 14:29   #38
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it doesn't quit raining I think I'm going to have to build an ark!
Old 03-06-2008, 15:31   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great timing for them new windows...
Old 11-07-2008, 16:16   #40
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Knocked off one of the BIG "Honeydo's" before we can start our trawler project.

I did it all myself (with a lil' logistical support from KG). Put up the scaffolding (4 lifts), hoisted all the materials strapped the roof, laid the tin (800 screws), flashed & caulked everything then took the scaffolding down. Definitely not a one-man job but I'm hmmmmm? persistant!

The Honeydo list is down to:
  1. pave driveway
  2. landscape back yard
  3. hardwood floor in living room
  4. paint ceiling in bedroom & kitchen
Then I can start!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 16:41   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Imagine what you could do with a boat. Sounds like just the man I need for dusting the masthead.

Honeydo - "The list designed to kill you so accrued fortunes will transfer to others."

Hint: Don't ever get done or your presence will no longer be required. This is one list you never want to complete. Given you won't ever get them all done at least have the good sense to leave the most nasty ones for a date to be determined.

1 and 2 are for younger persons too stupid to know better. It's clear that by now you do know better (the ONLY advantage to not being younger). A demonstration here is required. I assume that is why you do death defying accents it's a toss up as to which is worse. OK, so could have been worse - it can always be worse. At this point roofing is off the list. You are old enough to know better than that. Just because you survived is no excuse.

Painting is a gimme, save this for when you really are getting beaten up. It's not dangerous and won't break your back. If your knees are still good flooring can score major points! Take as many breaks as possible and drink heavily.

The idea is you delay the really nasty stuff long enough until you die. If you could do all things in one lifetime you wouldn't have any fun. What ever you do don't go bragging about it. The rest of us could get sucked into the "but Rick did it" syndrome.

Looks like a nice job though. Serious points scored - I'll bet. Spend them wisely.
Old 11-07-2008, 17:06   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sometimes it is better to...

Sometimes it is better to leave some of the jobs to the next owner.

It is possible to over renovate.

My aim has been to make it look good and sound but so that a prospective buyer thinks "All I have to do is x, y and z and it will be perfect.".
Old 11-07-2008, 23:01   #43

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Points to be scored and taken.

Knottyboyz,

Well haven't you just upped the ante.?
Now- how do you top that one off maestro.?
I have been renovating properties for a living for the last 30 years.
As a tradesman roofer I know just how hard it is to do a roof.( just finished doing a 330 sq mtr colourbond roof on my latest "reno project"-plus adding 2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms ,pool ,carport ) Mainly finished but has now taken a back seat to my other "project" the 40 ft "hullK."
If you did this on your own-well done and not a small feat at all.
I'm very impressed.
And by the way doesn't it get a little more scary up there as you get older.I forgot I was 52 years old when I got up on my roof frames.Crawling around single storey house frames -scare stiff I was !!

Take the points you have scored with NG and savour them.!!
Remind her at every stage just how good you did.
Maybe, just maybe this could be used as a bargaining chip to get a "little start" on your boat between doing your honeydo list and the boat.
Sort of like partner related reverse phsychology
Trust me -it works. How do you think I am escaping to do some work on my boat BETWEEN finishing off my house.
It's a fine balancing act but it can be done.
Us mere mortal males have to be sneaky sometimes don't we ?

I really agree with pblais's hints.Very true,particularly if a lot of our other better halves ever read about your singlehanded roof attack.How do we get around the " But Rick did it " then.?

Good Luck with your honeydo list.

Regards
John

Old 13-07-2008, 15:54   #44
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thnx Boracay, John & Paul. Plenty of accumulated wisdom there to draw from. Having done this single handed I can appreciate what John, who does this sort of thing for a living, goes through. For me, I pound out reams of bureaucratic gov't gobbly gook on a keyboard all day. Not exactly physical labor ya know!

After it's all said and done I actually think I enjoyed doing it. I get a great feeling of satisfaction having done it myself. Then there's those "moments" when you just have to sit back and admire your own handywork.

I guess you're right, at my age (48) you'd think I'd be in a position to hire on to get the work done but for me I'm too "cost conscious* (cheap). I did get a few quotes in the $4500 range and some wouldn't even bid because the job was too small to pay a crew for a day for half a days work. Materials and rental for the staging added up to a tad over $1500 so I figure I heaped on $3K in sweat equity (final figures don't include cost of refreshments or bandaids).

So anywho, I was looking at a few other small boat builders web sites and noticed a common theme. "Clamps", clamps, clamps and more clamps. I picked up a few (good deal $50 for the lot) to get me started but somehow I don't think its still gonna have 'nuff eh?

Old 14-07-2008, 22:06   #45

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Oh Boy- I am going to be in BIG trouble tonight.

Rick,
I used to do that sort of physical stuff.Now I pound out govt beauracratic gobbledegook like you too. Fun isnt it -not !

You got all of those clamps for $50- bargain.!

PS.
Haven't got a spare room have you.?
I am going to be sleeping in the dog house tonight for sure.
One 40ft hulk wasn't enough of a project.
I just bought a real nice 42 ft Adams for a song.beautiful hull,with absolute thousands of dollars of fittings etc.Just needs some fitting out and mast /sails etc ,etc.
Happy as a pig in s*** but now I have to tell my better half.
Pray for me.!!

Regards
JC
Closed Thread