Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-02-2023, 11:14   #1

Boat: 40', Farr 38
Keel Modification: Increase stability

Sailors,
I am considering attempting to increase the stability of my boat without adding weight. I have consulted w/Farr (the designer of the boat) and had them verify that the keel structure (without mod) could structurally support an addition of ± 800lbs (sandwiched bulb) to the lower edge of the existing fin keel. Additionally, the Farr office has validated the size, positions and material of the keel bolts. BTW, this fall I separated the keel from the hull exposing about 3" of the bolts. They were in new looking condition, and all was as expected.
So, has anyone removed lead from the upper two thirds of their keel and if so have you any suggestions? At this point I'm considering a carbide core drill bit of 3" & 4" diameter cores and a large 1/2" drill (may need to rent something with a stand to drill horizontally into keel in place). Oh, Farr office tells me that if I just added 800pounds as a bulb to the keel that the stability would likely go from approx 107° to about 115°. Unfortunately, I do not want to always carry around that 800 pounds when sailing downwind or upwind in light air. Thus the idea of 'moving' the ballast vs adding. I am considering having Mars Keel build me the (2) symmetrical bulb halves that would be modeled on the mounting face to fit the keel. They have provide me an estimate that seems reasonable.
Any thoughts or advise are appreciated. TIA
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FARR38-KEEL MOD.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	271713  
Capt Ben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel