Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 07:44   #61

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Hurricane Damaged Boats Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Wow ! The skeptics are out in force today !! The mind is like a parachute, it must be open to function.
Probably because the OP didn't bother to share or answer the most common questions people are likely to ask.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:25   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanmax View Post
Hey rourkeh,
I wont say this is a scam....I mean it could almost sound like it....or.....as a business owner myself...you don't want to take any s**t from long winded people looking for a Lagoon for 10 bucks. But.....the wife and I were going to do a final inspection on a Lagoon 41' in October......Now we are still looking. but you do have to help us out a little more. Just looked at a FP in Nassau last Friday....(not interested) so you may have something we really want. but unless I see pictures, price list and estimates....kind of hard to fork over 10-80 grand. SOOoooooooo.....We are looking for a Lagoon above a 38 footer any kind of cabin layout and newer than 2002. if ya got something like that....let me know.
If you PM me with your email addressI will send you my phone number to discuss.
I am not going to outline the entire proposal on here and have hundreds of experts dissect every aspect that have no real interest.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:53   #63
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
I am not going to outline the entire proposal on here and have hundreds of experts dissect every aspect that have no real interest.
Strawman. No one is asking this poster to reveal his "entire" proposal or business plan. However - and like every other legitimate business on Planet Earth - people do expect a certain minimal level of transparency and expected open business practices. Consider...

Let's see:
1. Anonymous company, no references, no history, no names, no website.
2. No list of boats available from the insurance company for “400” boats.
3. Participation “REQUIRED” from the get go. Yup, all caps.
4. No timeline, no “guarantee”, no escrow, no title search or insurance.
5. They will purchase the boat.
6. They will transport the boat.
7. They guarantee no hull damage, no water intrusion.
8. They will add the time and materials and profit of their choosing at an unknown location.
9. No pictures, references, location or names of the $900K “Lagoon” they bought for $90K and will sell to their unnamed buyer at “around $340K”. Again no pics, no website, no references, no proof.
10. They refuse to sell to DIYer's – even for a good profit – and even though they have limited capabilities (5 boats out of hundreds available).
11. They refuse to provide a list of boats available.
12. No named company, no CV, no listings, no track record, no references, no stated license, no stated bonding.

We'll save #13 for this. I beg you to watch this video, which addresses exactly the type of operation this post may represent (esp at 5:00):

Discussion of Hurricane Boats

Ergo, and despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I believe this gentleman may be legitimate, but still must deal with the fact that his proposal seems to represent a wishful idea, but one that has been not been fully or clearly organized, lacks transparency and that could have been presented with far more organization and credibility.

In my opinion, he'd have done a lot better by setting up a named company, a good website, and LOTS of good backup information including principals, goals, experience, resume or CV, pictures, references and convincing examples, linked and available to all.

Carry on.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:36   #64

Looking from the outside (as in, someone that is not at Ground Zero) this would seem like a very interesting & tempting option to consider. However, Contrail has so eloquently & accurately depicted the real conditions to be found in the BVI. The arduous process of finding those boats that allegedly have been surveyed as a total loss by the insurance company yet do not have any hull damage or have been a new home for fish for the past 2 months...not very good odds! I, too, am keeping my eyes open for "a deal" that might be right for my situation, but I know that not being there personally & jumping on something at the opportune time is going to be a challenge. Not saying the OP's idea doesn't have merit, but I'll be looking for further postings on this forum after he/they arrive and see what is posted about their processes after they visualize the actual conditions & devastation that has occurred. Patiently waiting...with caution!
piratelooksat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:43   #65

I'm with CaptnJimbo on his last post above on this one. Too much 'room' to be fleeced, we are talking about BOAT BUCKS here are'nt we?
Old 17-11-2017, 03:32   #66

Boat: Hans Christian 48T 57

Hello from New Orleans. Yes I'm interested and have money.
I also have a Hans Christian 48T. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger boat. If you have a list to choose from please pass along or better yet my e-mail gregg@fishinthelandofgiants.com
Thanks
Gregg Arnold
garnold3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 05:39   #67

Boat: Valiant 40

I think everyone piling on calling this an outright scam is overlooking the unique conditions on the ground in the BVI. Pretty much every single bullet point of the proposed plan has a supporting condition based on what's going on locally and with the process.

Obviously a more in-depth conversation with the principal is required. Obviously if you can't get down there in person to participate in evaluating candidate boats and moving the process forward this is not a project for you.

If anything gives me pause is that there are a lot of unknowns that can't be turned into knows at this point: insurer responsiveness, yard and service personnel availability, parts availability and cost. The fact that the business plan limits this to a small handful of boats is a nod towards limiting potential impacts from these conditions.

If you're interested, contact the OP and learn more. If you don't have the experience of refitting a boat, move on. If you don't have the resources to fund a project like this, or the ability to be onsite at critical parts of it, move on. Is there risk involved? Of course, given the situation down there and the way ever refit of a damaged boat goes. If you can't evaluate the level of risk involved and accept it, move on.

Blathering on about it being a scam says more about your ignorance than anything else.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 06:04   #68

I'm with woc #18. I'm capable but concerned about the potential for deep disappointment.

I would be interested in 38-44 catamaran, or a "special" mono.
dano098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 10:37   #69
JJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush.p View Post
This screams scam to me!!
JJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 13:32   #70

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Well it’s been 5 and a half years, if anyone actually tried this deal, they likely know by now if it was a scam.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hurricane