Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 14:39   #1

Los Roques, hurricane Matthew damaged?

Does anyone have info on how the islands faired and have there been any reported security incidents? We would love to visit these beautiful islands this month, from Carriacou.
louisemevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 14:49   #2

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak
Re: Los Roques, hurricane Matthew damaged?

We haven"t been through there for 7 years or so and i am sure things have changed and not for the better! Which flag you fly and your nationality may make a difference also
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 15:04   #3
SFS

So you are going to Los Roques before the Bahamas? Where are you now?
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 11:30   #4

I don't think the storm was up to hurricane status when it went through that area so I'm doubtful there was any great damage but I don't really know.
We spent a week there last year and really enjoyed ourselves, lovely place to veg out and it lives up to the pictures you see including flocks of pink Flamingos . It's pretty deserted right now because of the local economic status of the country so not many folks taking vacations there.
There is another atol to the east of it that we really enjoyed as well, huge bird populations, and really good snorkeling, you can pm me if you decide to go there and I'll show you where to go. The atol is deserted, excellent anchorages. I'm not aware of any robberies lately, only saw a few fishermen that I gave water to and some batteries. Really a lovely spot.
A nice sail to Bonaire after that with wonderful diving, I'd do that trip again!!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 07:35   #5

We're in Grenada just now. Thinking Carriacou, Los Roques, Grand Cayman (friends) westthen North round Cuba to Bahamas. My partner is a roofer and wondering about any work up there.
Old 16-11-2016, 07:42   #6

Thanks for that. We','re in Grenada, thinking of sailing Carriacou to los Roques, Aves, Bonaire then up to Jamaica or Cayman's, . . . That other eastern island sounds interesting, it wasn't Blanquilla or Orchila was it?
Old 16-11-2016, 08:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisemevans View Post
Thanks for that. We','re in Grenada, thinking of sailing Carriacou to los Roques, Aves, Bonaire then up to Jamaica or Cayman's, . . . That other eastern island sounds interesting, it wasn't Blanquilla or Orchila was it?
No it wasn't. The atol I refered to is called Aves De Barlovento, if you'd like to experience a deserted island this would be a good choice. It's also a good place to hang out waiting for favorable winds going east. When you enter it should be during late morning or midday as you have lots of reefs to navigate around inside the atol, its not hard if you have any experience but its not for the gps crowd that need waypoints as its all eyeball navigation as none of the charts are accurate here but it's well protected and very pretty anchorages. As I mentioned if you decide to go there pm me and I'll dig up my past info on the area but I don't want to bother doing it unless your actually going there. Cheers, R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 05:16   #8

I'm in Los Roques now. I live in venezuela and flew in. I have seen a dozen cruising boats and there is no damage from a Matthew.

That said venezuela is a dangerous place and it maybe best to avoid it.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 13:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I am considering a trip from the BVI to Isla Aves next month. There is more than one Aves, and I mean the one that is about 130 miles slightly north of west of Dominica, but still a possession of Venezuela. It's described as about 1200 feet long and pretty narrow, not much more than a strip of sand in the middle of the sea.

Anyone know anything about it? Regulations? Anyone there? I seem to remember that the Venezuelan Navy had a minimal presence there.

Any information would be very welcome.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane