Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 05:28   #16

Re: How do you keep stern drives clean?

I have Volvo Penta twin IO DUO PROPS
DONT , DONT , DONT, DONT, DONT< STOP STOP STOP STOP - RUN OTHER WAY
I leave my 31 ft cruiser at a in/out marina .
GUESS your new too this boating thing .
MY VOLVO ENGINES are chevy blocks . All external parts are VOLVO . NO AFTER market . Only parts are VOLVO. VOLVO parts are extremely expensive ,
Mercruiser offers after market and more options .
Wife & I Wanted too get back into a cruiser from a trailer fishing boat
Could not find what I wanted and settled thinking would keep short while . WHAT A MISTAKE . I AM SO DEEP INTO THIS WHOLE I WILL NEVER RE COOP FUNDS
KISS FORMULA
THERES many reasons why Outboards are the way too go
If you want inboard, get the proper set ups that have shafts designed too be in water full time .
DO your homework, Try too buy smart , this will avoid expensive repair jobs
IO and not designed long term . My bottom has not been painted. I leave in water few days , when I want too sleep aboard . Marina pulls , puts into yard were my cradle is.
After few days green is starting growth . I come with power washer and a light scrubbing hull is white . Growth behind lower units, bellows , must be insane
IO are designed for smaller trailer boats used on occasion , pulled, taken home were you can work on your boat at your leisure .
Manufactures don't give a damn, they just want too sell boats. Why would they put twin IO on a larger boats. ? They advertise a 31 footer you can tow ?
Lot of boat , not fun , wide permit required . boat that size should be left in water .
I see them all over road , larger fishing machines with triple OB's

THIS FORUM, along with I BOATS FORUM HULL TRUTH FORUM has knowledgeable boaters that will answer questions
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 06:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
BINGO! Sailmonkey has it right, outdrives were made for trailers and dry racks. If you want to leave a boat in the water, buy straight inboards. Most mechanics do not want to work on salty outdrives, and those that do wind up working on them with cutting torches. Plan on buying new outdrives every 5 years
Hmmmm..... my boat has been wet slipped in a high growth, warmish salt water marina since 2006.

Still has the original fit bravo III’s. so far no corrosion issues.

Must be something wrong with mine?
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 06:39   #18

Guess most of you have never seen a houseboat. I don’t recall the last time I saw them
being rack stored during the week or being trailered around town traveling to different locations
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 06:49   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
Guess most of you have never seen a houseboat. I don’t recall the last time I saw them
being rack stored during the week or being trailered around town traveling to different locations

I can point to far more IO’s with major problems kept in salt water than I can point to without.

Like I’ve said three times now. It’s up to the user to maintain the things. And these require very religious maintenance when kept in saltwater to make them viable.

House boats with IO drives are more often found in fresh water. Off the top of my head I can think of three houseboats in my immediate area that used to have outdrives, or currently have outdrives that will never be used to propel the boat again.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 07:29   #20

Boat: Redbay Boats 950-E

With difficulty!

Mine is entering it's fifth season afloat, 5-6 months on a saltwater mooring in a high foul area. I prep the unit carefully and prime and antifoul with Trilux 33. I paint this on with a brush - so good thick coats. I use the aerosol version to treat the gimbal sides and gaiter. I cruise at 30kts so I guess that keeps some stuff down. I find that I get some barnacle growth in the corners and light green weed on the upper surfaces. It washes off easily at the end of the season. I use a full set of anodes in that 6 months and would have to replace for month 7 if there was one. There is no obvious corrosion of the outdrive at this time (4yo). IMO, outdrives need lots of love, during driving AND during servicing. Neglect them and you won't get the love back. Pete7 - that RIB smells of grandpa's aftershave...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antifoul.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	167315  
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 10:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I can point to far more IO’s with major problems kept in salt water than I can point to without.

Like I’ve said three times now. It’s up to the user to maintain the things. And these require very religious maintenance when kept in saltwater to make them viable.

House boats with IO drives are more often found in fresh water. Off the top of my head I can think of three houseboats in my immediate area that used to have outdrives, or currently have outdrives that will never be used to propel the boat again.
I agree 100%. Maintance goes along way. Even more so in salt water.
My apologies to the OP. I got off track and reread you stated you will be in saltwater. Me being a freshwater boater only, have no experience.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 00:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
A fair percentage use outboards which can be pulled completely clear of the water.

Rented a 60' houseboat on Kentucky Lake a few years back and it was outboard powered.

Also, I've seen a lot of outdrives on houseboats that look like they are in really rough shape...often you see an outboard bolted on next to it.

Fresh water is better but still they have a high failure rate.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote