Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 15:57   #1

Boat: CS33
Hood Furler and foil

I’m hoping someone can help identify an elderly Hood Furler and the foil. I want to strip it down and at least inspect - possibly change the stay. I don’t have any manuals for the thing. I’d like to have some idea how it fits together before I start pulling it apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BC0B0C4-3B1A-41E9-9F79-BEDE50C30774.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	224525   Click image for larger version

Name:	C41B2FDB-5A58-45A2-87CB-029B8654B2C0.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	224526  

Click image for larger version

Name:	136EB969-5A5A-41EB-935D-1872B3ADFC0F.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	224527  
dailymirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 18:23   #2

Re: Hood Furler and foil

Looks pretty much as what I have on a 1980 36 footer. Very simple and straightforward system. I took it apart to replace the bearings but we ended up just cleaning and greasing the insides. Not ideal solution but saved me some $$ and time for sailing as replacing the bearings in such an old system seemed even less ideal solution and replacing the whole furler was not in the budget that season.

Google Hood System Seafurl 3250. That's how I got my manual in PDF format.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php?PHPSES....0;attach=2925

And this.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ild-16789.html
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 14:05   #3

Boat: CS33

Thank you island time. That helps.

In the drawings it’s not 100% clear how the stay is secured inside the roller? I assume that the drum is removed and the foil more or less slides off the wire?
dailymirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 15:44   #4

Boat: Careel 22 (long cabin)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wanton

Hi everyone, this is an old thread but rather than starting a newone I thought I'd ask the question here, perhaps someone can help me. Mine is a Plastimo S600 furler. The last time I serviced this furler was some 10 years ago. Its on a TS Careel 22 so not on the water 100% of the time. I hve seen this furler on larger yachts of course. The last time I disassembled it I replaced the plastic tube inside it as it was shattered. I used a piece of silicone tube and it has lasted this distance OK keeping dirt and sand out quite well. I am thinking I need to re grease the bearings. Does anyone know what kind of grease to use. The last time I used standard marine bearing grease, but I note that is has hardended somewhat. Perhaps that is not the correct grease or maybe I should have checked it at more regular intervals.

Your thoughts about what kind of grease to use would be appreciated. Bear in mind of course that at most my boat is on the water for a total of 60 days, if I am lucky.

Thank you in advance.
Wanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 08:24   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Try either Lithium grease or standard but waterproof grease. Note that you are not trying to protect high speed or hot gears, so the problems are minimal. The grease will still oxidize when the boat is sitting in your driveway. Figure on doing your winches and the furler every five years or so. Does that help? Side note: I replaced the grease in the ball bearings for a rotating lighthouse lens last year. As near as I could tell, it was last done in the 1970s. The grease was somewhere between being coal and becoming diamonds.
Old 30-10-2020, 08:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Daily mirror, as Island Time suggests, that sucker is not going to be rocket science.There are pretty standard ways of protecting yourself as you disassemble it - work in a space where flying or rolling parts will not be lost, take photographs as you work, stack parts on a shaft in the order you took them off, and don't force something just because you have not figured out how it is held in place. Go at it.

Sounds like you are going to want to replace bearings. They are stock, and can be purchased from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. Measure them carefully with your micrometer or vernier caliper. Force grease into the new ones until they are full, a tedious job if you do not have a bearing packer.
Old 30-10-2020, 14:41   #7

Boat: Careel 22 (long cabin)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Try either Lithium grease or standard but waterproof grease. Note that you are not trying to protect high speed or hot gears, so the problems are minimal. The grease will still oxidize when the boat is sitting in your driveway. Figure on doing your winches and the furler every five years or so. Does that help? Side note: I replaced the grease in the ball bearings for a rotating lighthouse lens last year. As near as I could tell, it was last done in the 1970s. The grease was somewhere between being coal and becoming diamonds.
Thank you.
Wanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, hood, oil