Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 10:11   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Seahawks islands 44 issues

Well it's time for new antifoul and I was considering Seahawks islands 44 but there seems to be quite a few issues with unhappy customers down in Grenada at the moment with the paint either not working or falling off soon after application. I don't know if it's a quality issue or application issue. Does anyone else have any experience with recent application?
Cheers
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:24   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Seahawks islands 44 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Well it's time for new antifoul and I was considering Seahawks islands 44 but there seems to be quite a few issues with unhappy customers down in Grenada at the moment with the paint either not working or falling off soon after application. I don't know if it's a quality issue or application issue. Does anyone else have any experience with recent application?
Cheers
Monte
I know lots of happy users of this paint in the BVI.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:38   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

We use Island 77 on a whole fleet of boats. We tested about 8 paints. It has worked out to be the best bang for the buck. If it's coming off that's bad prep work.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:55   #4

Used Island 44+. Certified applier. Trinidad. Has come off in 11 months. Not falling off. It is turning to powder and coming off. Same in Grenada where we are now. One person here says Tradewinds took the lead out recently. Do not know if that is true or the reason.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56   #5

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Had Sea Hawk hard bottom paint close to two years. It's still in great condition and I got a lower rate from my bottom cleaner because he just had to wipe the slime off. Very few barnacles. Boat is in Indian (soon to be in the Banana) River. Hauling out day after tomorrow.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:35   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hmm, sounds like it was good. Maybe there is something they have changed. I guess I'll be looking for another product.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:48   #7

Boat: PT-11

Well, let us know the results of your research.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Used Islands 44 three coats over two years ago and boat has been sitting in shallow hot dirty water for more than a year and it is just about time to redo the bottom. Nothing else I have ever used lasts this long or works this well. Use the booster additive. Application is VERY important or it will fall off, also if you hire a monkey to clean your bottom with a scraper and a wire BBQ brush no bottom paint will last.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:09   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.1
Send a message via Skype™ to straitscrew

The Islands 44 comes in two types...SOFT as sold in Budget Marine but a HARD version as sold at Island Water World. Both are self ablating and the rate at which the anti fouling wears off depends upon distance sailed. I use the HARD type but it is relatively soft compared to some other anti fouling paint such as Petit Trinidad. This meant that any contact with the bottom brushed off the anti-fouling to the extent even cleaning the prop created a cloud of very expensive paint in the water. Cleaning the bottom was a definite Do Not!
I used to regularly sail about 15000 miles annually and it would wear away in about 5-6 months.
The solution was to apply a base paint...a hard compatible anti - fouling first. Then apply the Islands 44 ( hard ) over that and let it dry out for a day at least before launching.
This gave 5-6 months trouble and maintenance free sailing. You could then do some bottom cleaning on the hard base coat once the softer paint had worn away!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
straitscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:14   #10

Most that I have talked to here in Grenada that have issues used 44+ (soft).
I used the 44+. Maybe 44 (hard) is better.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:14   #11

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

While in Grenada in 2012/2013, we had Seahawk Islands 44, purchased through a local importer (Wholesale Yacht Parts), applied by certified personnel at Grenada Marine in St. Davids. Within 3 months, the primer began to show through the paint - even though we were anchored the entire time in Mt. Hartman Bay. I don't have the paperwork handy, so I don't remember which specific 44 it was.

Long story short - after talking with several others, I contacted Seahawk and was told that a specific batch was being recalled. They sent new paint from a different batch for no charge, and we had it applied at Spice Island Marine Services. Had we had it done at Grenada Marine (the original applicators), they would have paid for labor too. We had already contracted with SIMS for long term storage, we opted to pay the labor charges in lieu of hauling the boat twice.

The paint's still going strong here in Virginia. Wish I could say the same thing about the brightwork, though...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22   #12

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Was the Island 44 the hard or soft? I'm in Grenada getting ready to haul out at Spice Isle in 2 weeks and have the bottom done.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:00   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Is any paint work good these days? I used Ameron ABC 15 months ago. Has a great reputation. Worked good for about 2 months. I guess on the plus side it hasn't seemed to have gotten much worse in last 12 just equally not good. I have seen more growth locally on newer Trinidad. I put 3 coats and am planning to scrub it hard the next year before hauling. Maybe something new will come along.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:36   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Was the Island 44 the hard or soft? I'm in Grenada getting ready to haul out at Spice Isle in 2 weeks and have the bottom done.
The "hard" version of that paint is not a hard paint. It is a soft ablative - about on par softness-wise with Micron 66 (in other words, very soft).

The regular or "soft" version is so soft that just looking at it causes clouds of paint to release.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26   #15

I have used SH Islands 44 for the past 10 yrs. Only had to apply it 3 times in 10 yrs. The last time it was applied was the new hard. Wouldn't use any other paint.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote