Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 02:18   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Hey, I know what... Let's design a yacht!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I think the main frame needs to move forward, and there needs to be more buoyancy built into the bow. This boat, as currently drawn, isn't going to handle much chain, and will be taking a great deal of green water over the bow. With 300' of 3/8" chain, it's going to resemble a submarine going to weather in chop.
Good point, Bash. I did a couplemore sketches but they are on my computer and right now i am anchored in cel range but we are laying the wrong way to get a usable signal in my room. I am on the stern with my tablet now, but I will post them tonight from the dock. I did one with the main frame at 14 and one at 16 feet.

Of course the chain locker could be further aft, too, and some folks would be happy with 75 or 100 feet of chain and 300 feet of nylon. Butyeah let,s look at a little more meat up forward so maybe theoption is still there for focsle chain locker and full chain rode. Riding out heavy weather in an unprotected anchorage could make ya glad to have a proper anchor chain Thats for sure. I dont want the bow to get so chubby that performance falls off too much.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37   #32

Panopy, we can always go back and tweak things at any stage, but for the moment lets figure on sloop or ketch, fiberglass, singlehand capable, comfortable sleeping for three and settee berthing for a couple more, probably fixed keel of a longish semi fin type so the draft isnt extreme, etcetc. We can always go back and tweak some more. No fixed timetable for finishing this thing.

Boracay that is a sweet looking model!

Newt that rascal looks scary fast! I like the minimal clutter topside. I bet shes got a keel that goes halfway to China though.

JIm, chances are this project will never actually be built except as a scale model. But I want to see what we come up with. And a camel is actually a pretty iteresting critter, when you think about it. Anyway whats the harm? Other than possibly wasting a little time at the computer.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
OK, I know I am going to get hammered for this, but I will open up a few concepts and see what you think. First of all you want a boat that is bulletproof with lots of buoyancy. I have been thinking about such a boat. Consider a design similar to the Owen Clarke OCD 130:
It looks like if we knocked it down to 50 feet or so it should go together with sheet aluminum. Get rid of all cabin, make a ramp that folds off the transom and park this in it:
Ok, probably not a stock Airstream, but a marine grade travel trailer. It would get lower in (or backed in) Frame would get supported by the boat, wheels and travel tongue off, maybe a place for a couple of bikes etc.
The sailboat "shell" would have tons of room for your tankage, buoyancy, etc. If build right, there is no reason it would not be a ULDB and fly like the wind.
And then when you had your fill of fast water, you could take your little shell and live on land again, without ever moving your stuff.
I like the modular approach - thought occurred to me before, albeit not the drive on - drive off idea for seagoing vessel!, but done well no reason why not (have thought about a caravan on a pontoon for canals / rivers - been done loads of times already)......have also pondered over having "pop up" accomadation, kinda like a folding caravan (perhaps more of a UK / European thing than the US?).

........the thinking being that a change in accomadation does not have to always be quick or easy, just that it can change. Sometimes having effectively a ginourmous daysailer (with fairly basic - for a 45 footer! - accomadation) would be better, other times having plenty of living accomadation would be the best option (once a year?).

Modular boats - heard it on CF first! (possibly?).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I like the modular approach - thought occurred to me before, albeit not the drive on - drive off idea for seagoing vessel!, but done well no reason why not (have thought about a caravan on a pontoon for canals / rivers - been done loads of times already)......have also pondered over having "pop up" accomadation, kinda like a folding caravan (perhaps more of a UK / European thing than the US?).

........the thinking being that a change in accomadation does not have to always be quick or easy, just that it can change. Sometimes having effectively a ginourmous daysailer (with fairly basic - for a 45 footer! - accomadation) would be better, other times having plenty of living accomadation would be the best option (once a year?).

Modular boats - heard it on CF first! (possibly?).
Ginourmous ... that's one of the big ones, right?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Ginourmous ... that's one of the big ones, right?
Yup .........but just imagine something like a 45 foot daysailor (with head / small galley and a bit of indoor). for many occassions that would be just awesome (don't always need or want 7 berths and 3 heads!.......sometimes ondeck and lounging space rules!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58   #36

Okay here's two options for moving the main frame forward. The first one has it at 14 feet and the second one at 16 feet. The original concept was for 12 feet.

At 1.7 lbs/ft, 300 feet of 3/8" chain would weigh 5100 lbs. I think moving the chain locker aft a little bit would be a good idea. But that's for later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L48B12offset36mainframe14.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	53876   Click image for larger version

Name:	L48B12offset36mainframe16.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	53877  

Old 01-02-2013, 06:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having built a few boats from scratch before,the first thing to decide is your budget!

once that is decided,and assuming it is not unlimited,and you intend to home build.

i would start looking for a mast,boom,sails and rigging from a salvage/unfinished projet at a knockdown price.
then a newish marine engine,gear box and sterngear at a bargain price.

then i would design the boat best to suit the rig and engine and save a fortune.

many hulls sitting in back gardens all over the world never get farther than the hull and deck!
keep on dreaming!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49   #38

Oops i guess i meant 510 lbs lol!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13   #39

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Assuming no bowsprit, rake the stem sufficiently to ensure that the anchor(s) does not strike the hull when heaving and retrieving. Anchor rollers that protrude beyond the hull are weak, complicated to mount, and...umm...ugly. Better to have anchor roller(s) built into bulwarks/hull if possible.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Atoll's words ring true if you are actually going to do it. Most efficient way to build you ideal boat is to go out in boatyards and see if you can find an old wreck that is your dream shape, then rebuild it, IMHO.
Thank you for the kind words about my modular idea. I hope to make a proof of concept someday- and will share it all with you!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Assuming no bowsprit, rake the stem sufficiently to ensure that the anchor(s) does not strike the hull when heaving and retrieving. Anchor rollers that protrude beyond the hull are weak, complicated to mount, and...umm...ugly. Better to have anchor roller(s) built into bulwarks/hull if possible.

Steve
I will try to remember that when we get to Phase 2. That's a good point. I would have gone with a stem nearly plumb, for greater waterline length if you hadn't brought that up.
Old 07-02-2013, 13:43   #42

Okay, so which one? All three are elliptical curves, ellipse offset of 36', but the fore/aft position of the main frame differs. 12, 14, and 16 feet forward from the arbitrary transom. Let's move it along. I am liking the 12 because I think it would be really cool to have an aft cabin big enough for a king size bed accessible from either side but I am listening to my co conspirators.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L48B12offset36mainframe12.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	54174   Click image for larger version

Name:	L48B12offset36mainframe14.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	54175  

Name:	L48B12offset36mainframe16.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	54176  
Old 07-02-2013, 14:11   #43

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I will try to remember that when we get to Phase 2. That's a good point. I would have gone with a stem nearly plumb, for greater waterline length if you hadn't brought that up.
could use a small bowsprit strictly for the purpose of keeping hte anchor.

Tags
yacht