Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2020, 05:41   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Exterior plastic window film for solar heat control

I have a late model Jeanneau sailboat in South Florida with a window in the cabin house that will be rebedded. To reduce thermal eyxpansion of the window I want to put some type of sun blocking solution in place. Yes, I can use phifertex or similar but with so many different types of window films it seems to be an easier fix to place a film over the outside and just redirect the sunlight.

I am aware of film adhesive outgassing issue on plastic so it needs to be a film built to manage this.

Ideas?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 07:13   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Exterior plastic window film for solar heat control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I have a late model Jeanneau sailboat in South Florida with a window in the cabin house that will be rebedded. To reduce thermal eyxpansion of the window I want to put some type of sun blocking solution in place. Yes, I can use phifertex or similar but with so many different types of window films it seems to be an easier fix to place a film over the outside and just redirect the sunlight.

I am aware of film adhesive outgassing issue on plastic so it needs to be a film built to manage this.

Ideas?

In fact I just put some samples on spare hatches and left them on the roof to age. There are products marketed specifically for plastic glazing, but they are not available in small quantities.

One product I am looking at is marketed for tinting taillights (which sounds stupid to me, but let's skip that), which are generally a type of acrylic. They looked factory tinted, but time will tell on durability.

Most films are a non-stretch polyester. The taillight film appears to be polyurethane, like helicopter tape. I'm sure there are differences in weathering and gas permeation. And then there is the question of removal.
Old 29-11-2020, 08:09   #3

Interesting.

Would be great to see your test results.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I think that I would start with the cheapest and easiest solution, and move to the others when it fails. You can pick up some automoboile tenting plastic at your local auto parts store, in any of several percentages of darkening, and go from there. I doubt that it will damage the glazing, but if in doubt, cover a tiny corner or part of the overlap, and wait a few weeks.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I think that I would start with the cheapest and easiest solution, and move to the others when it fails. You can pick up some automoboile tenting plastic at your local auto parts store, in any of several percentages of darkening, and go from there. I doubt that it will damage the glazing, but if in doubt, cover a tiny corner or part of the overlap, and wait a few weeks.
Good feedback. I did get a piece of static cling film to test and it failed. My logic is to exterior apply film so as to not let sunlight transmission occur by reflecting that energy out before it goes through the thickness of the window.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

"Static cling" is not the right stuff. Usual window tinting film glues itself on. However, in usual practice it goes on the inside of the window, out of the weather but allowing light to travel through the glass. I'm not at all sure that it will hold up on the outside.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:37   #7

It is a bit surprising to me that there is not more knowledge on this subject than what I've found so far. A film applied to the outside of a plastic window that redirects solar energy and has an adhesive that will not wreck the plastic seems like a no brainer.

Where are all the smart people with experience?
Old 04-12-2020, 06:39   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Good feedback. I did get a piece of static cling film to test and it failed. My logic is to exterior apply film so as to not let sunlight transmission occur by reflecting that energy out before it goes through the thickness of the window.

Please explain "failed." Came off? Bubbles?
Old 05-12-2020, 05:34   #9

Failed to adhere to the outside window.

So, any film solution needs to have an adhesive that won't create any outgas issue with the PMMA (acrylic.) window itself.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In fact I just put some samples on spare hatches and left them on the roof to age. There are products marketed specifically for plastic glazing, but they are not available in small quantities..
What time period will you observe before you evaluate results?
Old 17-09-2021, 11:26   #11

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Bumping this up
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 03:14   #12

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

This is an old thread but we are always encouraged to search before starting a new thread so..

I have badly crazed acrylic wrap-around windows and need to replace two which are approx. 6ft x 4ft and 12mm thick. In that thickness I can only find clear acrylic. They need to be tinted. Now I'm considering plastic film. Like the OP of this thread, I would preferior to apply on the exterior, but interior is also possible.

Since this thread is a bit old, does anyone have any new experience or advice? It seems to me that the skill and experience of vehicle applicators should make this an easy task but the question remains - is there a readily available film that is compatible with acrylic?
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 04:35   #13

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Amazon exterior tint 90% works great on mine. Its not a forever solution, but it blocks the heat
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:02   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I would also add not to be afraid of interior tint. It works just fine. Logically, the exterior makes a lot of sense, but the interior doesn’t get scratched, it doesn’t really get dirty, holds up better. And the heat reflection is the same.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 17:45   #15

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I have never seen film being applied to a vehicle, though no doubt there are youtube clips showing amazing dexterity and speed.

I'm happy to try the interior method but would prefer to add the film to the new acrylic before fitting the window. Since the bond between acrylic and GRP frame is vital, that means I can't simply apply film to the entire piece of acrylic, because the film would be a potential weak layer. Perhaps I can trial fit the film-covered acrylic and mark the window opening, then cut the film 10mm wider than the opening so that there is no visible cut-line at the edge of the window (the width of the bonded area is >100mm, so a 10mm overlap would not affect the strength of bond, in my view..)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230412_082135.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	273950  
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, wind