Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 18:45   #16

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
davits

jack:

i fully appreciate the need to do this davits project as inexpensively as possible. i approach almost every thing in life the same way. i hate to pay retail for anything.

that is why i recently bought a 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender from harbor freight (part # 38024). it was around $120 on sale. link is attached below. my plan is to bend my own pipe. how difficult can it be?

this pipe bender handles steel and aluminum pipe up to 2 inches in diameter.

i figure, after i get finished with the davits i want to make, and some stantions i also need to make, i will have more than gotten my money's worth out of the pipe bender. if i have no further use for it i can probably get at least half my money back just selling it second had to someone else.

just more food for thought. good luck with your projects.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
At the moment it looks like my choices are ugly or nothing.
Yep, and I'd go nothing and save your time for sailing! Considering that I have owned many boats with davits I can assure you they are ONLY for flat water sailing. 90% of my davit use is to store the dink out of the water while my boat is on her mooring. We usually tow it while under way or lash to the foredeck in anything over 2-3 foot seas..

The loads exerted on davits is tremendous and they will not be held by a couple of set screws from a fence post fitting into galvy pipe. Welding is necessary or bending the pipe is necessary.

Save yourself the headache and use your spare halyard to raise the dink onto the foredeck!

P.S. - Davits are over rated and I own them! The best use for davits is a good place to mount a solar panel!!

Old 12-08-2008, 23:48   #18

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Sniff... Your boat is so pretty! Is she single?

Hey, since you hate your davits so much- sell them to me!

You make an interesting point. Actually, it is funny how things come about. The dinghy that came with the boat could not live on the foredeck. But the Zodiac, deflated, could...

Also, interesting idea on the bender. I'd probably only break even vs. having the davits built- but then I could do a bimini frame too...

Sigh.

I will take both of these to heart. I am really dissatisfied with the entire tubing arrangement on my boat... I wonder if I could invest in the infrastructure to fab this stuff and get back out of the deal real quick? How big is the bender? At 120 bucks I would guess not too big... Custom tube bending to help keep the kitty full?
Old 13-08-2008, 02:52   #19

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
hi jack long my davits are made from the material you speak of and at the end the person who built mine[previous owner] put a vertical tag and a block was fitted with a good size shackle . i have never had any problem with rust and this system is approx 10 years old however i was told that he had epoxied them inside and out and then painted them .I think they look fine mine support a10 ft tinny and outboard and have never looked like flexing and or sagging. what ever way you go good luck !
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 07:02   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Ask a muffler shop to make your bends. I can't imagine them charging more than $10.00 per bend. Where are you in the Bay Area? Maybe I can point you to a good shop, and keep you away from bad ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mflr family.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	4677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mflr smile.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	4678  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mflr dog.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	4679  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 07:12   #21

Boat: 1991 hunter 35.5 legend
Galvanized fence posts will not bend. It just crumples.(believe me I have tried). I actually took some to a muffler shopt to get them to do it and they were unable to. But what I ended up doing was having the muffler shop bend the angles I needed in to exhuast pipe which is treated and will not rust either(not sure what the allow or metal is). I forget the sizes used but the exhaust pipe used fit perfectly into the fence post like a sleeve. Because it is right at the bend you dont notice the slight diameter reduction. I used a little bondo to fair it out. Dont know if this helps with your project but I did'nt want you to waste any time or money trying to get the stuff bent.
ZolaSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 12:24   #22

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Zola- Am I understanding correctly that you have davits similar to what I am talking about but instead of using a 90' angle connector you used a piece of bent exhaust pipe? Could you describe the whole thing?

Imagine- Boat is in Redwood City and my alternate home(s) are in San Jose. However, I am driving all over the bay area getting various things done. I am thinking REAL HARD about getting that bender from Harbor Freight though.

Trine- could you post a picture or drawing for me? I'd love to see it! I wonder how he epoxied the inside? Maybe just closed off the tube? I am particularly interested in how it connects to the boat and how it goes from horizontal to vertical.

Thanks!
Old 17-08-2008, 19:58   #23

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
davits suggestion

jack - go to ebay and look at this item number.

it is a 1000# davit lift for under $100.

not stainless but may be adaptable.

i like it. text below.

1/2 TON (1000 pound) CAPACITY!!
** NEW - NO RESERVE!! **

This new Rand hydraulic crane is a real back saver!!

This new Rand Universal Crane is the ideal addition to any truck bed, dock, floor, etc. It allows you to load heavy cargo without breaking a sweat! It will work great for loading cargo into your truck, or use it as a davit on your dock or seawall. When it is not in use, it rotates and lowers to store out of the way. Its extra tall design with hand winch is great for lifting large items like steel drums, engines, atvs, tractor tires etc. When you need to use it, just lower your tailgate, release the locking pin, and rotate it into action! The boom length can be extended from 35" to 53.5" for maximum reach. It will also lift items up to 80" above your truck bed. The 3 ton hydraulic ram allows you to lift up to a half ton. (Try lifting THAT yourself in one lift!)

The features of this Pick-up Truck Bed Crane include:
  • 3 Ton hydraulic ram allows you to lift up to 1/2 ton (1000 Pounds).
  • Comes complete with galvanized hand winch and 25' of 13/64" cable for easy lifting.
  • Heavy-duty steel construction with 1/2" thick steel base measuring 7-3/8" x 9-1/2"
  • It is free to rotate 360 degrees to any angle for easy lifts (includes locking pin).
  • Boom extends from 35" out to 53.5"
  • Lift height up to 80" above the truck bed.
  • Comes with predrilled angle iron backing plates and mounting hardware that mount under the truck bed to reinforce the mounting area.
  • Universal design allows you to mount it to any pick-up truck bed of any type and any brand.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 07:20   #24

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
hi jack long i will get some pictures asap my davit bases have a plate approx 130mm long by 60 wide and are through bolted my rear deck area
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits