Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2024, 16:02   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Deck color

I am getting ready to paint and I've been pondering this too. I really like the cream, but I have felt the difference between white and cream in terms of heat too. I have elected to go with Hatteras Off-white which is kind of a creamy off-white.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 16:06   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It's fairly easy to do a definitive experiment: take a few small timber or glass strips, say 3"c6"x 1/8", and paint them with samples of the colors you are considering. Set them in the sun and monitor their temperatures with an IR thermometer gun. Watch rate of rise and max temperatures and soon you will find the truth.

Jim
Old 20-03-2024, 16:23   #18

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Coopec 43 it might be time to start a new trend and install fake grass on your deck! Being an owner-built Roberts I doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow.
Cheers

Interesting

Now you've got me thinking, carpet!
Maybe this is the way to go?

https://bluskyproducts.com.au/collec...ts/marine-tuft
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 18:07   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

Coopec foam decking is another option. I took this photo of a boat on the Gold Coast last week. One of the best decking installation jobs I have seen Normally people buy this sort of decking online and have a crack at installing it........ I surveyed another boat, and the owner supplied all the paper templates of the non-skid areas to a company and then glued them down himself. It looked ok and felt nice underfoot.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	433997422_1463241027932867_8284489841020852277_n.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	287858  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 00:13   #20

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Coopec foam decking is another option. I took this photo of a boat on the Gold Coast last week. One of the best decking installation jobs I have seen Normally people buy this sort of decking online and have a crack at installing it........ I surveyed another boat, and the owner supplied all the paper templates of the non-skid areas to a company and then glued them down himself. It looked ok and felt nice underfoot.
Cheers
Interesting and would be stunning on the right boat. But I'm not interested in making my yacht a "Marina Queen".

Could you have a look at my other thread "earthing the inverter" and let me know what you guys would be looking at when doing a survey of the 240V power set-up?
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 12:55   #21

Boat: Oyster 66

I am soon to rip up my old teak deck. I have made the difficult decision to paint the deck. I will pick a pure white for heat reflection and get darker sunglasses to suit. Awlgrip G8001 from memory, but I haven’t checked that.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 13:46   #22

Light colors are much better for reflecting the heat, that I know. But off white vs appliance white... meh.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 07:23   #23
KWF

Boat: Tartan 3500, 35 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Bright white is too glaring for me in the tropics--I use a light cream color (Awlgrip's "Cream" in fact). Deck stays cool enough for bare feet without causing snow blindness. I've done bright white and between that and glare off the water, there aren't sunglasses dark enough.
Agree
KWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 07:27   #24

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Our deck is white and easy on bare feet even on the hot sunny days but we considered repainting it with a color that would help tone down the black mold that commonly grows at the non-skid groves. Eliminating the mold took considerable effort with a scrub brush on a frequent basis. This was eventually resolved by adding a half cup of bleach to the bucket of soapy water. The deck washing is done early morning or on a cooler cloudy day to slow the evaporation. The solution is applied liberally then left on for a few minutes before rinsing. It kills the mold, and the brighteners in the bleach make the deck look factory new. Now we have no need to repaint the deck until the non-skid becomes worn.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 07:50   #25

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

My decks have white "trim" with large areas of a tannish-brown non-skid. It works well to prevent glare, but it does get somewhat hot in the sun. I think that I'll keep the white (or perhaps go to a Mediterranean white) for the trim areas (and cabin top) but lighten the non-skid areas a bit when I re-do the topsides.

P.S.: I always thought of a 40' boat as being medium-large, but next to the Hunter 38 (40?) my boat looks positively tiny to me. It looks like it could almost be the Hunter's tender. Oh well ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Celerity - stern brightwork.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	288060  
Old 25-03-2024, 08:05   #26

Boat: Bavaria 36'

I fancy that matching the colour to make small repairs is easier with white.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 08:13   #27

Boat: Custom Catamaran

A few folks have mentioned it, but you want to stick with white for deck paint if you’re going anywhere hot - off white or brilliant white will work.

We’ve had cream, light grey, manilla, buff and white decks and white is the only one to stay walkable. Even dirty sections on a white deck can be unwalkable in the hot sun.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 09:38   #28

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

White stays a bit cooler but it's blinding in the sun.
Old 25-03-2024, 18:46   #29

Boat: S&S 40

My deck is a very light sandy color...nice contrast to a stark white superstructure also any dirt or discoloration doesn't show so much like it would on a white one.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 18:53   #30

Boat: S&S 40

Just wear sneakers...you wont feel the heat off the deck and they will prevent broken toes as a bonus..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck