Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2022, 16:35   #1

Boat: 1983 Freedom 21 (shoal keel)
Cutting acrylic for portlights

It's about time to replace the surface mounted acrylic portlights on my Freedom 21. They're crazed, cracked, leaking, and the screws keep falling out. I plan to forgo mechanical fasteners in favor of Dow Corning 795 sealant as described here.

I'm pretty sure I can handle this, but the only thing I'm stuck on is how to cut and prep the new pieces. They aren't simple shapes (see the attached image) and they are pretty long, so I think I have to just remove them and use the existing portlights as templates (as opposed to measuring them and sending dimensions to a fabricator).

If I pay someone to do this, I'll have to deliver them one of the current pieces for them to trace. That would take a couple days and there's always the risk of rain so I'd have to tarp over the opening. Then I have to deal with duct tape residue, the potential for theft, etc. Not really a good option.

So I think my only choice is to try cutting them out myself and get it all done in one weekend. I assume I can do it with a jigsaw (though I'll have to buy one) but I've never cut acrylic before and I'm nervous about ruining a large, expensive sheet of acrylic.

I don't really have a specific question here, but any general tips on purchasing, cutting, and finishing large acrylic pieces would be greatly appreciated!

iansan5653 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, portlights