Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 15:42   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Coppercoat

That's not my understanding...

The selling point made to me was to not pay for the haul out and that the normal bottom cleaning done in the water with a scotch bright pad would keep the active surface...well active.

If I have to haul yearly then that totally blows the selling point I've been given from the Copper Coat folks when I spoke to them at the boat shows.

I was strongly considering doing the copper coat, but considering I got 4yrs on my last bottom job using Mexican Comex paint, I figured out the secrete. Which is, If you have your bottom cleaned frequently...the paint almost doesn't matter. It becomes more about the cleaning frequency and QUALITY of the guy doing the cleaning. At the end of the day I couldn't justify the extra boat yard work/expense of removing down to Glass and applying the copper coat vs just getting my fat lazy ass in the water once every other month and sticking with the tried and true ablative paint...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:47   #62

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
That's not my understanding...

The selling point is to not pay for the haul out and that the normal bottom cleaning done in the water with a scotch bright pad would keep the active surface...well active. If I have to haul yearly then that totally blows the selling point I've been given from the Copper Coat folks.
Well you can do it in the water too that's up to you. I can't do it because I can't dive on my boat.

For me , it costs $100 to pull it out and that includes putting it back in. That's all I need to do. But to pull it out and leave it out for a week costs $105. plus about $1000 to prepare and antifoul with ablative paint if I do it myself.

What does it cost to haul out, clean and put it back in the water the same day where you are?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:57   #63

Boat: 55' sloop.

As to application procedure and quality of the CC, I can attest that I touched up some areas of a CC application that was already 7 years old. The touched up areas involved CC which was very slightly understrength due to some corrosion in the bag of copper that had been on the boat a long time and also involved resins which were several years old. The results were extremely clear: the "new" application of the bona fide, but slightly under strength and older kit had very poor function, while the 7 year old CC continued working well.

I will restate, for the record: CC is NOT as effective as a GOOD ablative paint, for the first 3 to 6 months of the latter's period of use. AFTER that period, it tends to be as good, becoming BETTER than it as time wears on. It IS effective however, to my satisfaction, in waters WORLDWIDE. It does need some maintenance in the water. But it CAN be maintained in the water with nothing more than a scotchbrite pad which makes it an excellent choice for long range adventure cruising, where hauling and repainting is often not a realistic option.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:59   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
As to application procedure and quality of the CC, I can attest that I touched up some areas of a CC application that was already 7 years old. The touched up areas involved CC which was very slightly understrength due to some corrosion in the bag of copper that had been on the boat a long time and also involved resins which were several years old. The results were extremely clear: the "new" application of the bona fide, but slightly under strength and older kit had very poor function, while the 7 year old CC continued working well.

I will restate, for the record: CC is NOT as effective as a GOOD ablative paint, for the first 3 to 6 months of the latter's period of use. AFTER that period, it tends to be as good, becoming BETTER than it as time wears on. It IS effective however, to my satisfaction, in waters WORLDWIDE. It does need some maintenance in the water. But it CAN be maintained in the water with nothing more than a scotchbrite pad which makes it an excellent choice for long range adventure cruising, where hauling and repainting is often not a realistic option.
That's a valuable review. first hand. The representative told me too that it can take a couple months to 'get going'.
Old 21-12-2015, 16:08   #65
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have no problem in hearing fstbttms views. But he's done them to death.
I only post my views of the product in response to others posting theirs. Yet you don't seem to have a problem with the miriad posts raving about Coppercoat. Only the view that doesn't jibe with yours. Or at least, the view you hope to have.

Quote:
One of the pictures he presents is highly suspicious of a vessel that's not been cleaned at all.. That's not a useful example of 'coppercoat that's not working'.
Not true. The picture I've posted is of a Coppercoat bottom that hadn't been cleaned in a year or so, as I have indicated multiple times when posting it.

Quote:
He's also quite adament that coppercoat won't work in Florida, but then seems to refute anyone from Florida who has coppercoat.
Really? I challenge you to prove any part of that statement. Or maybe quoting me accurately doesn't support your position.

Quote:
Sometimes when someone is so defiantly 'against' something, it's worth questioning why?
I have never made a statement about the efficacy of Coppercoat without also indicating that my views are based on my experiences with it here in California. I have never said, "It won't work for you in Florida." Never said it, never implied it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 16:15   #66
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The selling point made to me was to not pay for the haul out and that the normal bottom cleaning done in the water with a scotch bright pad would keep the active surface...well active.
I guarantee that "reactivating" Coppercoat requires more aggressive measures than scrubbing it with a ScotchBrite pad while floating next to the boat in the water. We are talking about a hardened epoxy surface. Scrub pads are not designed to sand epoxy, which is what is required to reactivate Coppercoat.

From the web site:

Eventually, usually after several years, the surface may benefit from being lightly abraded with a fine grade of "wet and dry" paper or a burnishing pad to expose fresh copper.

BTW- probably illegal to do underwater. Certainly extremely difficult.
Old 21-12-2015, 16:18   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I only post my views of the product in response to others posting theirs. Yet you don't seem to have a problem with the miriad posts raving about Coppercoat. Only the view that doesn't jibe with yours. Or at least, the view you hope to have.

Not true. The picture I've posted is of a Coppercoat bottom that hadn't been cleaned in a year or so, as I have indicated multiple times when posting it.

Really? I challenge you to prove any part of that statement. Or maybe quoting me accurately doesn't support your position.

I have never made a statement about the efficacy of Coppercoat without also indicating that my views are based on my experiences with it here in California. I have never said, "It won't work for you in Florida." Never said it, never implied it.

Ok, California it was.. it's all part of the US to me

I'm not doing all the other stuff again, we have done it to death on other threads.

MY VIEW I don't have one yet. I havn't installed the system yet. When I do, I'll provide MY VIEW on the product. Until then, I'd like to hear from people of boats who have had coppercoate and didn't like it. Because their views are also valuable. And if I had heard from them earlier in the year, I probably would not be taking the chance. But alas, few people who have actually used it seem to support your strong views against.
Old 21-12-2015, 16:20   #68
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm not doing all the other stuff again, we have done it to death on other threads.
Then have the courtesy to not present as truth your lies about what I have posted.
Old 21-12-2015, 16:22   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Then have the courtesy to not present as truth your lies about what I have posted.
back off dude. I'm sorry I got California and Florida mixed up.

We're about to fall out.
Old 21-12-2015, 20:43   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

And CQR anchors suck....
There....let's go all out and be done with it...hahaha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 23:32   #71

Quote:
And CQR anchors suck....
There....let's go all out and be done with it...hahaha
And cats and tris aren't real sail boats
Old 22-12-2015, 02:00   #72

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post

Spot on. I have just come back from NZ after sailing there on a boat that hwd Coppercoat applied in St Martin about three years ago. I have been on board most of the miles of that trip and have seen that the paint worked very well.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 03:44   #73

Boat: valiant 40

I've taught my pet glacier to fetch
Old 22-12-2015, 04:46   #74

Well I just had a chat with a guy at Coppercoat in the UK (a free phone call within the UK for me, so what the heck), and very nice and helpful he was too.

I had a thought about perhaps putting an extra coat or two (over and above the recommended four coats) along the waterline and areas that might experience accelerated wear (leading/trailing edges of keel and rudder, for example), and he said it certainly wouldn't hurt (but not to go to the unnecessary lengths of doubling up - 8 coats - on the coating in those areas), but they have found that generally the wear does seem to be quite even.

He did say lots of extremely experienced and widely travelled people (such as Robin Knox-Johnston, he did mention others too), have been using their Coppercoat for a very long time with great success.

Frankly, if such knowledgeable people with the depth of experience of Robin Knox-Johnston are using Coppercoat on their boats around the World, then that's more than good enough for me.

So I'm a Coppercoat customer waiting to happen.

For absolute clarity, my only relationship with Coppercoat is as a very interested future customer, and my only contact has been today's single phone call.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 07:53   #75

When you do, please let us know how it goes!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote