Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 13:59   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Coppercoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgreenbank View Post
Coppercoat 1 litro | Canarias Multinaútica

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Well, that's exactly the product I have sitting in my shed and you can buy it cheaper than some of the best antifouling ablatives here
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:04   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Umm... no it doesn't.

Yours

His
yes, your right. I have the bottom one.
Old 21-12-2015, 14:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Is it the same product?
Old 21-12-2015, 14:07   #49
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
It's the labels that are different. The "AMC" is what threw me, but upon further review, Aquarius Marine Coatings are the maker of Coppercoat, so maybe they are the same products (which is why I deleted the post of mine that you quoted.)
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:08   #50

Quote:
It's the labels that are different. The "AMC" is what threw me, but upon further review, Aquarius Marine Coatings are the maker of Coppercoat, so maybe they are the same products (which is why I deleted the post of mine that you quoted.)
Old 21-12-2015, 14:08   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
There is another possibility that you seem to ignore: Metallic copper isn't such a hot antifouling system in the first place.

The copper used in normal bottom paints is not metallic Cu, but compounds selected by the manufacturer to be soluble enough to create a toxic environment, but not so soluble as to rapidly be consumed... and therein lies the industrial art of bottom paint design..
Exactly!!

The effectiveness of a paint formulation is mainly a combination of carrier, application AND the copper compound used, all in conjunction with the environment where the boat is used which will vary in temperature, salinity, pollution and nutrient content and probably several other factors that haven't occurred to me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:17   #52

The bottles were blue not black, just like on coppercoat website , guess they are an old photo on the Tenerife website.
Any case it works, or the Jaycar ultrasonic works, maybe the nice warm water of the canarias is low fouling!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:43   #53

Boat: Nordhavn 72

For what it's worth, i did have the Coppercoat work done a few months ago and there is so far no sign of any growth. The boat has been in the water in the Canaries and the Caribbean since August. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:46   #54

Here's a novel approach. I'd like to hear from someone who has installed 'coppercoat' and doesn't like it?

I mean, first hand accounts of disliking it, not someone I know or my friend or a friend of a friend of a cousin of a mate type of thing.

And was it the real deal too? installed as per manafacturers recommendations?
Old 21-12-2015, 15:08   #55
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreed View Post
For what it's worth, i did have the Coppercoat work done a few months ago and there is so far no sign of any growth.
I mean no disrespect but here's my problem with your statement and statements that others have made like it:

There is no frame of reference. When you say that after a few months there is "No sign of any growth," we have no idea what that means in your neck of the woods. Maybe there would be no sign of any growth regardless of what anti fouling was on the bottom. Maybe there would be no sign of growth if there was nothing on the bottom. If you compared what you see now to what you saw when your previous bottom was a few months old, your readers in other parts of the world not familiar with fouling rates in the Canaries, could form some sort of idea about whether or not the product was performing as advertised.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:08   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Here's a novel approach. I'd like to hear from someone who has installed 'coppercoat' and doesn't like it?

I mean, first hand accounts of disliking it, not someone I know or my friend or a friend of a friend of a cousin of a mate type of thing.

And was it the real deal too? installed as per manafacturers recommendations?
RC, for what it is worth... I'd pay some attention to fstbttms views. He does not own a boat with CC on it, but he is intimately (!) familiar with many of them. The owners of the boats that he pictures upthread probably meet your description of folks who have tried it and don't like it... they just don't happen to be CF contributors. Fstbttms may be a bit "direct" at times, but he has seen and cleaned more bottoms than the rest of CF combined. I think his experience is a useful data input.

I for one would be happy if the stuff would work for me... I'm just not convinced that it would as yet, rather the contrary in fact. That's why I'm interested in your experiment!

Jim
Old 21-12-2015, 15:14   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Isn't the rationale for Copper Coat the cost savings of the less frequent haul out process?
It, like any bottom paint, still requires cleaning right?

I have seen how this game goes....a guy doesn't clean his boat bottom for a year and wants to blame the bottom paint OR copper cost or the President, when what he should be blaming is his lack of proper boat/bottom maintenance.

What am I missing here?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:24   #58

Boat: Nordhavn 72

Quote:
I mean no disrespect but here's my problem with your statement and statements that others have made like it:

There is no frame of reference. When you say that after a few months there is "No sign of any growth," we have no idea what that means in your neck of the woods. Maybe there would be no sign of any growth regardless of what anti fouling was on the bottom. Maybe there would be no sign of growth if there was nothing on the bottom. If you compared what you see now to what you saw when your previous bottom was a few months old, your readers in other parts of the world not familiar with fouling rates in the Canaries, could form some sort of idea about whether or not the product was performing as advertised.

Fair point. The boat is new to me so i have nothing to compare to other than discussions with other people in the marina who reported growth after a couple of months. We had no discernible growth when we dived down to take a look. It's probably still too early to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:24   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
RC, for what it is worth... I'd pay some attention to fstbttms views. He does not own a boat with CC on it, but he is intimately (!) familiar with many of them. The owners of the boats that he pictures upthread probably meet your description of folks who have tried it and don't like it... they just don't happen to be CF contributors. Fstbttms may be a bit "direct" at times, but he has seen and cleaned more bottoms than the rest of CF combined. I think his experience is a useful data input.

I for one would be happy if the stuff would work for me... I'm just not convinced that it would as yet, rather the contrary in fact. That's why I'm interested in your experiment!

Jim
I have no problem in hearing fstbttms views. But he's done them to death. (sorry fstbttms talking in front of you here ). The pictures he presents on other threads are put forward as people who have tried them and don't like it. BUT, CF is big enough, in fact the largest such forum on the planet, then I'd like to hear from such people. There has been such products out that is not the ligitamate copper coat, and others that hardly have any copper. And as some else said today, it won't work if the required four (yes four) coats are not applied. One of the pictures he presents is highly suspicious of a vessel that's not been cleaned at all.. That's not a useful example of 'coppercoat that's not working'. He's also quite adament that coppercoat won't work in Florida, but then seems to refute anyone from Florida who has coppercoat. Sometimes when someone is so defiantly 'against' something, it's worth questioning why?
Old 21-12-2015, 15:29   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Isn't the rationale for Copper Coat the cost savings of the less frequent haul out process?
It, like any bottom paint, still requires cleaning right?

I have seen how this game goes....a guy doesn't clean his boat bottom for a year and wants to blame the bottom paint OR copper cost or the President, when what he should be blaming is his lack of proper boat/bottom maintenance.

What am I missing here?
That's not quite correct. The selling point on Coppercoate is that there is no yearly antifouling procedure. It's still recommended that the vessel is hauled at least once a year and cleaned. And according to the maintenace plans you rub it over with a scotch bright pad before putting it back in the water. This helps activate the copper again.

Whilst I've never used a hard antifoul, I believe it's similar maintenance to hard paint. But it's certainly not the same as ablative paints. You can't haul a boat out with ablative, give it a pressure wash and put it back and expect it to work as the pressure wash it self takes the ablative off.

Coppercoate is a two pack paint. It drys hard and if put on according to specs, should remain hard and intack for many years. Not like anti fouls.