Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 11:29   #1

Complete new instrumentation needed

I bought a Beneteau Oceanis 41.1 YR 2016. Massive theft prior to when I bought it and all the instruments are gone. So it came with B&G but I am open to different brand. Need chart plotter, autopilot ram/brain, wind/depth/speed, VHF fixed and handheld, AIS, and ???? Anyone have a good source to get decent pricing? I would be having it shipped to Miami then on to St. Maarten. Thanks in advance for your feedback
grboregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 18:48   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Complete new instrumentation needed

Bummer getting ripped off like that. Try Defender Marine for decent electronics pricing. We got ours there.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 18:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grboregon View Post
I bought a Beneteau Oceanis 41.1 YR 2016. Massive theft prior to when I bought it and all the instruments are gone. So it came with B&G but I am open to different brand. Need chart plotter, autopilot ram/brain, wind/depth/speed, VHF fixed and handheld, AIS, and ???? Anyone have a good source to get decent pricing? I would be having it shipped to Miami then on to St. Maarten. Thanks in advance for your feedback
In general, retail margins on marine electronics are REALLY thin, so real opportunities for significant discounts on the current line products are rare. If you see a price that is too good to be true... well you know.

BUT... as has already been mentioned, Defender frequently has models that are at, or approaching, the end of their sales cycle rolled up into packages that can offer pretty good discounts. We got a good portion of our kit that way, and B&G & Defender were excellent about one minor warrantee issue.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 19:00   #4

I’m sure someone has some used stuff they’d like to sell quick. It might have originally come off an Oceanis. Oh wait...
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:12   #5

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Defender is good, also some deals on Hodges Marine
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:21   #6

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Can’t say it will be a deal, but I like the functionality of my B&G suite.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:22   #7

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

Bummer on the instruments. I got all new instruments twice because of a lightning strikes. I hope insurance will cover your loss. I like Garmin and Raymarine. I found Garmin would work with an old Raymarine electric autopilot drive, i.e. I replaced the brains. I have also mixed Garmin NEMA 2000 with Raymarine SeaTalk ng. Of course the connectors are different. They can be inbterconnected by splicing the same color wires. Garmin uses N2000 transducers while Raymarine uses analog transducers all feeding a converter box. Thus you can use, for example, an old depth transducer. I have a Garmin 5212 chart plotter which I like. I have a friend with one for sale for a good price. Contact me if interested.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:02   #8

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
I hope you got a steep discount with no instruments. If so, this is kind of a nice problem to have as you are free to pick what you want. NKE, a French company which has been around awhile and is well respected in the commercial industry, was offering their complete package for $7,000 US. including the N2K harness but not including radar as I recall. I'm told that many people prefer the B&G displays to Raymarine and apparently they cost about the same. The other player is Garmin but their support drops off pretty quick due to their built in obsolescence policy. In any event, you can avoid incompatibility with a complete new system.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:17   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
Bummer on the instruments. I got all new instruments twice because of a lightning strikes. I hope insurance will cover your loss. I like Garmin and Raymarine. I found Garmin would work with an old Raymarine electric autopilot drive, i.e. I replaced the brains. I have also mixed Garmin NEMA 2000 with Raymarine SeaTalk ng. Of course the connectors are different. They can be inbterconnected by splicing the same color wires. Garmin uses N2000 transducers while Raymarine uses analog transducers all feeding a converter box. Thus you can use, for example, an old depth transducer. I have a Garmin 5212 chart plotter which I like. I have a friend with one for sale for a good price. Contact me if interested.
The loss was on the PO. The OP bought the boat post rip off.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:29   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Eleuthera, 60ft

....................as a veteran sailor, do you really need all that stuff? ..possible status symbol? Just equip yourself with a quality Pad, I Pad or similar that is equipped with real GPS and e charts...it will provide all the information you'll need for sailing. ..weather, etc etc And a set of binoculars.
OnePapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:35   #11

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42

Quote:
What BillKny said about pricing. One dealer I spoke with in person in MA said the mfg’s have more or less “price fixed” their retail pricing to match their catalog list prices, essentially to maintain a level playing field for retailers. Supposedly there’s some legislation that was lobbied by the industry and passed to allow this pricing model.

I’m planning to buy my electronics from The GPS Store, http://thegpsstore.com
Mainly because I live a few towns away in SC and sales tax is slightly less if picked up.
walbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:24   #12

Boat: O’Day 40

I just replaced my electronics (Ap, chart plotter) etc this past week. What I found is that if you want the new gear it is all fair traded & you won’t find any breaks. Last years or previous models can be a different story though. Went w/Raymarine gear as they had the most cost effective setup between the chart plotter $ AP setup- they have a decent sale going on now & I heard from one too many installers that support from B&G was sketchy.

Was disappointed that I couldn’t find any company’s reasonably priced setup that had knobs instead of touchscreens. Amazingly. I ordered the gear from Defender late in the day on Friday & it showed up in DC the next day. Probably dumb luck, but I like trading with them.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:34   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
One thing to consider is that the background/pods for the instruments you select may very well be of different sizes than the originals. If so you may have to consider also having to purchase new instrument/accessory pods/background as well as their mountings. Nothing is easy when you start changing brands.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:36   #14

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

I'm building a system using OpenMarine https://openmarine.net/ and a Raspberry Pi 4.
I'm going to keep track of the build, time and expenses, but I suspect it will be much cheaper than buying dedicated instruments.
I already have OpenCPN installed on a Mac as a backup...
Old 22-02-2021, 11:40   #15

Boat: Hylas 49

Raymarine has rebates right now for large purchases.
Can you buy from the Carribbean chandleries such as Budget Marine?
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum