Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 14:28   #1

Boat: Rhodes 41
New Winches

Just got a new boat. A Pearson Rhodes 41. It has the original winches. Not only are the winches manual locking, no pauls. I haven't used them yet but supposedly you have to lock them so they don't unwind.

I think I'm going to get new winches, but what size do I need? How do I figure that out? Any brands better than others?
Hillbillybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:01   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: New Winches

I'm using Hutton winches but there are good brands. (I can't recommend one as being better than others). Here is Hutton/Arco Selection Guide.

HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:28   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

No pawls? You DO need new winches. Pretty boat. Lewmar has a guide you can use to determine what size you should get, based on the size of your jib: https://www.lewmar.com/Winch-Selection-Guide
Harken has a similar one:
https://www.harken.com/en/support/te...osing-winches/
You may find used winches available on Ebay or Craig's List. Our Barients are more than 40 years old and still work well since we service them regularly.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:39   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'm using Hutton winches but there are good brands. (I can't recommend one as being better than others). Here is Hutton/Arco Selection Guide.

My experience with our two Hutton/Arco halyard winches is less than favorable. The main factor is the lack of needle bearings on the intermediate gear shafts. Where Barient, Lewmar, Anderson and other brands have such bearings, Hutton only has stainless shafts riding directly on the bronze casting. We have found that beyond increased friction when under load, these bearings will seize up if not lubricated every few months... and complete disassembly is required to do this lubing, and re-assembly is awkward and difficult in situ.

I would not recommend them.

All our other winches are Barients, and they just keep on working... now 32 years old.

Jim
Old 22-02-2021, 15:52   #5

On our current boat we have Andersen winches and are very happy with them, well built and reliable, very easy to maintain....

https://andersenwinches.com/aw/default.asp

https://andersenwinches.com/aw/winch...tion_guide.asp

...I've had Harken & Barients on other boats and would recommend them to...

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 16:40   #6

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;3349137]My experience with our two Hutton/Arco halyard winches is less than favorable. The main factor is the lack of needle bearings on the intermediate gear shafts. Where Barient, Lewmar, Anderson and other brands have such bearings, Hutton only has stainless shafts riding directly on the bronze casting. We have found that beyond increased friction when under load, these bearings will seize up if not lubricated every few months... and complete disassembly is required to do this lubing, and re-assembly is awkward and difficult in situ.

All our other winches are Barients, and they just keep on working... now 32 years old.

Jim[/QUOTE

Jim

Well I hope your Barients keep working because it looks as though you'll have to go to Hutton-Arco for spares if they don't.

Spare Parts

With the demise of the companies that manufactured BARIENT & BARLOW winches, almost every customer who ever purchased those winches has experienced some frustrations in trying to keep the winches serviceable. Unfortunately, no provisions were made to ensure supply of even the most basic of spare parts for BARIENT & BARLOW equipment.
But there is hope. The AUSTRALIAN YACHT WINCH COMPANY can help.
We have purchased a large quantity of the original Barient and Barlow tooling and all the technical data covering the entire period of their existence. Additionally, our intimate knowledge of Barient and Barlow products ensures delivery of the correct spare parts at minimum fuss.
Spare Parts Price List (in US Dollars) effective from October 1st, 2010

Here is their contact website address for spare parts when you eventually need them!

The bearing kits for Lewmar appear to be caged roller bearings? (But I'll stand to be corrected if I am wrong)

https://www.lewmar.com/node/11521
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 19:54   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE=coopec43;3349162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My experience with our two Hutton/Arco halyard winches is less than favorable. The main factor is the lack of needle bearings on the intermediate gear shafts. Where Barient, Lewmar, Anderson and other brands have such bearings, Hutton only has stainless shafts riding directly on the bronze casting. We have found that beyond increased friction when under load, these bearings will seize up if not lubricated every few months... and complete disassembly is required to do this lubing, and re-assembly is awkward and difficult in situ.

Jim[/QUOTE

Jim

Well I hope your Barients keep working because it looks as though you'll have to go to Hutton-Arco for spares if they don't.

Spare Parts

With the demise of the companies that manufactured BARIENT & BARLOW winches, almost every customer who ever purchased those winches has experienced some frustrations in trying to keep the winches serviceable. Unfortunately, no provisions were made to ensure supply of even the most basic of spare parts for BARIENT & BARLOW equipment.
But there is hope. The AUSTRALIAN YACHT WINCH COMPANY can help.
We have purchased a large quantity of the original Barient and Barlow tooling and all the technical data covering the entire period of their existence. Additionally, our intimate knowledge of Barient and Barlow products ensures delivery of the correct spare parts at minimum fuss.
Spare Parts Price List (in US Dollars) effective from October 1st, 2010

Here is their contact website address for spare parts when you eventually need them!

The bearing kits for Lewmar appear to be caged roller bearings? (But I'll stand to be corrected if I am wrong)

https://www.lewmar.com/node/11521
I'm pretty familiar with Arco/Hutton, and have purchased Barient parts from them at times. And actually, when the self tailing "rubbers" on one of my winches failed, Mr Hutton made me a good deal on swapping it for a new one which had the Barient style self-adjusting jaws on the tailer. And that newer one has been nothing but trouble since I obtained it. The self tailer works great but the seizing issues are a PITA.

Mr Hutton (John?) is a nice chap, but I'm not a fan of his winches!

Jim
Old 22-02-2021, 20:15   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another vote for Andersen. Replaced our mains a few years ago with self-tailing Andersens. Have performed flawlessly since then.

I think they have a sizing chart or guidance on their website.
Old 24-02-2021, 13:42   #9

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I guess it depends on the situation. I purchased 7 Hutton self-tailing winches in 2011 for our Formosa 51 ketch. Two ST-66's, three ST-45's and two ST-35's - all chromed bronze, for < US$10K, including shipping to the US. The price for standard Harken ST's at the time was a couple grand more, not including shipping.

Granted, we were actively cruising the East Coast and the Caribbean at the time, so they were serviced every 6-9 months. Never had a problem with increased friction - they performed a hell of a lot better than the original under-sized Lewmar winches.

Easy enough to service too!
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch