Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 05:47   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Catalina smile repair

The boat I just purchased has the classic Catalina smile at the leading edge of the keel stub. The surveyor said it was well within the normal amount for my boat and there is no evidence of keel movement.

The previous owner just used some type of filler over the crack and then painted over it. The surveyor suggested to grind out the old filler and then fair it in, glass over it, and then paint.

I'm not sure what people would recommend to fair in any voids with and what type of glass / epoxy to use over it.
Old 28-09-2019, 05:58   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Catalina smile repair

I helped a friend put his keel on a 34 foot Benford Dory. We glued it onto the stub with epoxy glue then wrapped the stub/keel join with three layers of 450gm double bias cloth. 11 years later there is still no cracking despite numerous bumps on the sand in Moreton bay.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 06:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What is the keel made of?

We have the same, but twice having bilge keels. Our keels are cast iron so every couple of years I put a thin layer of Sikaflex or other glup like CT1, smooth it off and paint the antifoul paint over the top. Cast iron is slightly porous so saltwater will seep under the sikaflex eventually, but don't sweat it. Cast iron or lead keels will be around long after we have departed this planet.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 06:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What is the keel made of?

We have the same, but twice having bilge keels. Our keels are cast iron so every couple of years I put a thin layer of Sikaflex or other glup like CT1, smooth it off and paint the antifoul paint over the top. Cast iron is slightly porous so saltwater will seep under the sikaflex eventually, but don't sweat it. Cast iron or lead keels will be around long after we have departed this planet.

Pete
It is a lead keel.
Old 28-09-2019, 15:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hmm, not sure fibre glass even with epoxy is going to stick to lead. Perhaps stick with the gloop and paint over the top.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 05:32   #6

So I contacted the gentleman that did the survey on my boat and he recommended using west system g flex

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty...ughened-epoxy/

He said he also usually puts down some dynell over it. I've never heard of g flex before but it seems reasonable. Let me know if anyone has any experience with it.
Old 30-09-2019, 06:11   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Ontherocks83 I learnt something today. I did not realise they still made Dynel cloth, I thought it went out of fashion after Noah built the ark.
I would rather use the G/Flex epoxy and a layer or two of 450gm double bias, which is a way tougher cloth than Dynel.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 06:15   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

My 1990 has no smile, but it’s probably only a matter of time. I assume Catalina used the same filler compound to fill the hull-keel joint as they did to fair the keel. The fairing on the keel is now decaying and “bubbling”
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 06:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
My 1990 has no smile, but it’s probably only a matter of time. I assume Catalina used the same filler compound to fill the hull-keel joint as they did to fair the keel. The fairing on the keel is now decaying and “bubbling”
The smile on your boat is much less likely. The mark II's starting in 1986 did not use wood in the keel stub allowing it to compress and cause the smile. Can't say it won't happen on yours its just usually not as prevalent.
Old 30-09-2019, 06:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Ontherocks83 I learnt something today. I did not realise they still made Dynel cloth, I thought it went out of fashion after Noah built the ark.
I would rather use the G/Flex epoxy and a layer or two of 450gm double bias, which is a way tougher cloth than Dynel.
Cheers
The reason he recommended dynell was because supposedly it is easier to blend to hide the seam. It's not for structural integrity, no piece of glass is going to make a difference in stabilizing the keel joint

Tags
catalina