Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 15:03   #1

Chalky Gelcoat on 1992 Catalina. What to do??

Hi!

We are buying a 28ft Catalina. The boats deck looks amazing to the naked eye but when you touch and sit on it you get white dust all over yourself. I understand gel coat oxidation happens, so I'm wondering the best way to fix/restore it. There are no cracks or creazing on the boat, so I'm not sure if sanding would be necessary? Should we paint the gel coat? What's the best solution? Is this a problem to be concerned about! Thanks!!
Curtinjulianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 15:57   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Chalky Gelcoat on 1992 Catalina. What to do??

I've never heard oxidized gel coat described as "amazing", it usually looks white, chalky and well, oxidized. Are you speaking of the non-skid areas or the smooth parts ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 16:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 28 MK I
Re: Chalky Gelcoat on 1992 Catalina. What to do??

Check out -
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...long-6469.html or google search Mainesail compounding, waxing. The cruisersforum link is pretty old, he has updated it several times over the years.
The Catalina 28 gelcoat will come back to looking almost as good as new if you follow the directions, pretty much exactly. Buying and using the proper compound, using the correct buffer, waxing with Collinite is the best solution. As have many others, I tried most other ways before finally doing it right.
Don't sand, don't paint, don't try any "instant shine" products.
It isn't a hard job, there is a kind of zen element to the buffing and wiping off the last coat of wax to reveal the deep shine is an absolute pleasure.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, gelcoat