Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 05:27   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Cartagena vs. Rio Dulce

Well, there is no arguing about the chicas - Colombia is truly stunning in that regards!

However, hot, humid and no wind pretty much describes the Rio most of the time, let alone summer.

It has been awhile since I had quotes from Cartagena, but the prices were pretty similar.

Not difficult at all to fly from the Rio - the difference is a longer bus ride to the Guatemala airport, but fewer flight connections and times (if going to the US).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 06:26   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Well, there is no arguing about the chicas - Colombia is truly stunning in that regards!

It has been awhile since I had quotes from Cartagena, but the prices were pretty similar.

Mark
Quote on what exactly? :-P
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 06:39   #33

For us, it was just haulout and bottom sanding. But I know others that had their boat completely re-gelcoated and more extensive fiberglass work, as well as one boat that had a teak deck removed and a new one installed ( ). I found the prices they paid inexpensive, and probably on par with those in the Rio.

As I mentioned earlier, the haulout part was outrageous, but I am sure that was because we just got caught in a temporary strange situation.

We did have some stainless fab done and it was very cheap and high quality - much better and less expensive than the SS fab I saw being done in the Rio.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-06-2014, 07:28   #34

Oh well, missed my joke or chose to ignore it. ;-)

Re wasting bottom paint...how far did you grind back from the trailing edge of your sterns for installing your extensions?

Another mitigating factor for me is that it will be at least some number of months before we get to Cartagena and the old bottom paint is dead (actually missing entirely from the lower section of one keel where a previous job did not adhere well) and it pains me to see the bottom that bad. Also, I have some new toys to play with (Kiwi props), and would really like to test them out soon. This way if they just don't work well for me then I can return them (agreed by Kiwi Props), but if I wait 6 months I expect they may not be so enthusiastic about working with me. And, the move to Cartagena will almost certainly involve lots of motoring, or best case motor sailing, so good test run for them.

Re SB. Only one case, but have a friend who chose to have extensive work done here recently (he lives in Panama, had some schedule constraints, and did not want to run to Cartagena/Rio). He did all the more critical work himself and just had the yard do the grunt work (mostly bottom job) because he did not have confidence in the skills available.
Old 19-06-2014, 08:10   #35

No, didn't ignore it - just too dumb to catch it!

We stripped one back 3', but that was because we took a mold off of it to use for the extensions. The other was also stripped back 3' but that was only because the worker just followed the first one. You would probably have to grind back 10-12" for your attachment and fairing. Maybe slightly less. So not so much paint wasted there, and you will need to paint the new anyway.

Mark

Old 19-06-2014, 10:58   #36

Yes, in my case a much simpler project and I think a foot is probably plenty for a good secure bond and fairing. I can live with that.
Old 22-09-2014, 07:20   #37

Just some additional info for this thread. Currently in Cartagena.

Visited some maritime places today.

Club Nautico. From what I had heard, I had visions of a real dump of a marina, but that's not the case. Ive been in far worse. The concrete/wood docks are solidy built and in good repair...did not see a single plank in bad shape...all looked nearly new in fact. The nice new buildings are structurally complete, looks like finish out work is progressing slowly, but it is progressing...they were activley working when I was there. The water is dirty, and choppy even in a light breeze, but thats not their fault. However, they quoted me the equivalent of about $1,200/month for a hypothetical 3 month stay!

Club Pesca. Nice place, but they* told me they could not accomodate a 23' beam and I did not see any other cats there.

Ferroaquimar. Made a very good first impression. Big proffessional yard. Friendly and reponsive. Worked up a hypothetical quote for a bottom job using a very thurough spreadsheet in a matter of minutes. But...they quoted me the equivalent of $4,300USD...without paint !*** The haul/spalsh only was about $660 USD. I will scan and send a copy of the quote when I can. They told me they have no dry storage area -- working yard only. Way outside of town, in a zona industrial, so not convenient.

My overall impression of Cartagena is that its a great place to visit, but not a cost effective place to refit. Even if you found good labor rates, the marina/yard/hotel rates while refitting would more than offset the difference.

Found that it is possible to eat/drink here for less than the crazy tourist rates we paid yesterday. Cabbie recommended a locals place for lunch, good local food at about 20,000 pesos for two (about $12).

I still want to cruise the far E San Blas and Colombian coast, and maybe push over to the ABC's, but think I will complete my refit in some combination of Panama & Rio Dulce.
Old 22-09-2014, 11:49   #38

Boat: PT-11

Good info, thanks. After debating between the Rio and Cartagena, we decided to scale back a bit and have work done at Shelter Bay. They repaired some damage to our daggerboard and skeg, removed hull stripe tapes, sanded and polished the hulls and painted on new stripes, raised bottom transom step 3" and installed some through hulls along with other minor things. Work was done professionally and well, and for a good price. A lot less than I would have paid in California.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:04   #39
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

At NanaJuana in Rio Dulce they will haul and launch you for $200. It's $5. per foot per month to stay. 25' plus beam is no problem. You can stay on board and hire who you want at no extra charge. You are allowed to use the pool, showers, and wifi at the "resort". They are rapidly expanding the paved boat storage area but space was limited as of early last summer so it would be better to call first. For info in English or French ask to speak with Jeanclaude. There is actually a good breeze blowing through the yard most afternoons but expect very hot and humid weather although Dec. through Feb is pretty tolerable. A good laborer will cost $10. to $20. per day. Guatemalans have amazing work ethics. There is no "siesta" at midday, only a lunch hour which is often spent playing soccer (good entertainment). The quality of contracted repair work varies so be sure to get references before making any kind of agreement. I hope this helps.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena