Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 02:18   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Carpet on the floor

Hi all,

My floor in my 32 foot steel ketch is 20mm thick ply which I've put a black rubber matting of round black stubs on it. I think the matting is often seen in trailers and trucks for non slip properties.

I've been given some new grey carpet tiles with rubber backing which looks like it would be nice and comfortable and easy to clean.

Does anyone have any input about carpet on the floor inside?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 03:07   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Carpet on the floor

I looked at this very option a while back when I was offered some commercial quality carpet tiles left over from an office refurb. I liked the carpet but I could not figure out how I would fasten them down in such a way that I could easily get them up if I needed to get to the bilge.

If you solve it let us know because I think the offer is still open. In the interim we are using an automotive carpet which is quite nice. Fastened down at four corners with stainless steel press studs so very easy to get to the bilge in a hurry.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-07-2015, 03:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I looked at this very option a while back when I was offered some commercial quality carpet tiles left over from an office refurb. I liked the carpet but I could not figure out how I would fasten them down in such a way that I could easily get them up if I needed to get to the bilge.

If you solve it let us know because I think the offer is still open. In the interim we are using an automotive carpet which is quite nice. Fastened down at four corners with stainless steel press studs so very easy to get to the bilge in a hurry.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With mine, I was just thinking of glueing it to the flooring panels. I have eight panels from memory. Each one comes up individually. If we ever did a crossing, I'd have to screw them down just in case we ever had a roll over.
Old 17-07-2015, 03:42   #4

Well if the panels line up ok with the tiles it would be a good thing.

But I have read lots of remarks about we carpet being horrible to step onto, so much so that I thought we'd actually lift our carpet and put it to one side on a passage, though I don't expect much water to get below decks.

I have no real basis for evaluating this as our only long passage was in very mild conditions.

Matt
Old 17-07-2015, 04:29   #5

Quote:
Well if the panels line up ok with the tiles it would be a good thing.

But I have read lots of remarks about we carpet being horrible to step onto, so much so that I thought we'd actually lift our carpet and put it to one side on a passage, though I don't expect much water to get below decks.

I have no real basis for evaluating this as our only long passage was in very mild conditions.

Matt
It would be worth me testing the panels to see how much water they absorb and how long they would take to dry when mopped up. With the solid rubber back, they wouldn't take in as much water as most carpets.
Old 17-07-2015, 04:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It would be worth me testing the panels to see how much water they absorb and how long they would take to dry when mopped up. With the solid rubber back, they wouldn't take in as much water as most carpets.
Sounds logical... what about water being trapped under them against the plywood cabin floor?

Matt
Old 17-07-2015, 05:18   #7

Quote:
Sounds logical... what about water being trapped under them against the plywood cabin floor?

Matt
I think if water got under the rubber backing I would have to be in a spot of trouble as water would have to be covering about 300mm throughout the boat. I don't 'think' it can penetrate through from the carpet side?

Any idea how it would cope with dirt/sand? I'm supposing a 12v vac would clean it? To date I've just used a small dust pan and brush.
Old 17-07-2015, 05:24   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

One of the souvenirs I buy around the world is carpets. Rugs, runners and offcuts are very cheap and look great.
my Egyptian silk rug (hand made by 6 year old slave girls) is wearing out after 5 years.
rubber backed carpets are not as good as they hold water and smell and the fabric is always cheapest on them anyway.

None of mine are attached to the floor. They don't slide much but on passage I stuff them under a table.

Carpets are great because they soften the interior both visually and tactiley.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 05:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think if water got under the rubber backing I would have to be in a spot of trouble as water would have to be covering about 300mm throughout the boat. I don't 'think' it can penetrate through from the carpet side?

Any idea how it would cope with dirt/sand? I'm supposing a 12v vac would clean it? To date I've just used a small dust pan and brush.
The stuff I saw used in the office refurb will let water through, slowly. Also, no way of sealing between the tiles, so water is going to permeate no matter what.

Like Mark suggests, it is good to be able to tuck the carpet out of the way when under way. And I think he makes a good point about it all becoming a bit whiffy after a while.

Matt
Old 17-07-2015, 06:03   #10

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A nice rug is great in the winter. Carpets are impossible to keep clean and free of critters.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 17-07-2015, 06:14   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Eventually you need to be able to remove it, take it outside and hose it down. If not it will start smelling bad.

I use that black 3 x 5 mat found at Home Depot cut to size. It's cheap, removable and does not look bad.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 06:34   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Eventually you need to be able to remove it, take it outside and hose it down. If not it will start smelling bad.
What he said. We've had industrial, rubber-backed carpet for about 15 years. It is skid resistant enough that is doesn't move around, and stiff enough that pieces of it don't tend to ride up over each other. About once a year (when we can find a hose) we pull it all out on deck and give it a thorough shampoo and dry (spa day for the carpet). Not sure it would be my first choice (it is a bit "office" feeling), but been happy enough with it for a decade and a half that we haven't bothered to change it out for anything else.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:04   #13

In the Chiefs mess of a vessel I was on, we installed FIBERGLAS carpet that has no pad. It is fire resistant, oil resistant, and does not rot. When the engineers came in with engine room on their boots it did not permanently stain.
The Chiefs mess is also the emergency operating room, so the carpet meets medical standards.
Don't know where it is for sale or what it cost.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:25   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

I would be adverse to carpet due to mold and cleanliness issues. I am with Mark, good rugs are better and they can be replaced when needed, there is no shortage of slave girls to make them for you.
Old 17-07-2015, 08:57   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We got a great carpet that is almost the exact spec as our salon floor. We got it in Tunisia and is pure wool and hand made. It just lays there and does not slip or slide. We occasionally take it outside and beat it as the they do in Tunisia and clean it a bit. In the winter makes a great deal of difference on keeping us warm.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote