Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2006, 13:42   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I am sorry Brent, but I do have the experiance in the feilds of metal. Firstly, a SST shaft is not the normal standard SST. It is a compleatly different make up. In fact, this is where using the term SST, is very misleading. SST is just a term for many differing ferrite based metals that don't surface rust. But the make up of those metal types can be very different. 304 and 316 for instance, for those following this. SST as we call it, but two different properties.
You may have done it, but it doesn't make it right. Look very closely at the interface of the two materials. If they are exposed in Salt water emersion, that interface will give you problems. I can bet your little cotton socks on it.
I have also seen many issues with SST through hulls. As long as the SST can get oxygen, it is fine, as soon as it is submersed, it can be a problem. If there is an electrolysys issue at anytime, it can darn right dangerouse. What's more, sometimes you don't see the problem. Sometimes you see rust, but many times you see nothing wrong.

Oh and yes, I have smacked the side of a hull with a sledge hammer. It bounced right of and damn near took me with it. Yes it was damaged and the owner was breaking out to clean FC to start the repair. The boat is alive and well and you can't see the repair.

I won't go belting a Steel hull thanks, I'll dent it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 16:20   #107
cruiser

steel

There is plenty of oxygen in seawater . Thats what keeps the fish alive.If there wasn't they'd all be dead.The only problem I've heard of with stainless oxygen starvation is in a stern tube , well inside.Thru hulls and rudder fittings get all they need.I've used it underwater for 35 years and 9 Pacific crosings with no problem.
A sledge hamer will bounce of cement ,the first time. Keep whacking it , like a reef would,and it will go thru quickly. You can whack 3/16 th plate all day without making an impression.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 16:22   #108
cruiser

Steel

Another huge advantage of steel over other materials is you get to use the best way ever invented for attaching your fittings, welding.Where stuff is bolted together is a major source of problems on non metal boats.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 22:18   #109
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
RE:builing in steel

Hi! I own and live aboard a Bruce Bingham designed cutter. I am also a professional shipwright of long standing. I have built many boats and was just posting to give you some advice. First- it is quite illegal to obtain plans for free from your friend of a friend and build to them. When you purchase a set of plans from a designer you are paying for the right to build one and only one vessel to that plan. If this was not the case noone would buy plans and the hard work of the designer would go unrewarded! I have met Bruce and know how much work goes into his designs and I hope you would not abuse his work in this fashion. He is, on the other hand, a very reasonable fellow and if you were to contact him I'm sure you could work something out. Second- I have seen a great many home build projects go south and have had to complete several-to my misfortune! My advice would be to get professional help on some level. For instance, paying a reputable designer. Most are willing to talk you through a home build and provide some level of oversight. The guy who said this will be the smallest expense involved in build was right. The average expense of hull construction is more like 10% of the build cost.Rigging and sails alone will cost as much as the hull. Then theres the powerplant and electronics. The list goes on. I have seen people throw away years of their lives on unfinished projects! Do not get in over your head. As a professional I would not recomend a home build to anyone who did not plan on spending at least 5 years and 150 to 200 thousand dollars on the project. You are almost certainly better off spending your time working and saving money to purchase a used boat. If you shop carefully there are amazing deals out there right now. It is a buyers market. You would spend a lot more of your life sailing and less of it beating your head against a wall. Take it from someone who knows! If you ever want help finding a cruising boat for 50-100k repost here and I'll send you some helpful info. I dont mean to rain on your parade but I would do anything to talk someone out of making the mistake that is a home build-for most people.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 00:22   #110

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
My boat has a 316 stainless plate welded on the bow....actually wrapped around the bow and welded on. This plate extends from just below the deck down to the waterline. It's painted to match the hull and there is no sign of any problems. The boat has been in the water for 9 years. Since the bow is the most likely place to suffer collison damage the builder installed this plate to protect the mild steel and stop rust problems from the inevitable nicks the paint in this area receives. While it may not be "proper" it certains seems to work very well. If I were building another boat I'd do the same thing.

Regards,

TJ
Yachts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 22:13   #111

Re: Building In Steel ?

Building a 55 ft to 65 ft steel sailing/motor boat I can understand the concept because I presently own what is
probably one of the best designed boats of that size range,
a 56.6 ft John Alden steel ketch, design no. 947. This boat
was built in 1960 and is still in reasonably good condition
and was fitted out with 4000 board feet of old growth Burmese
teak which can't even be accessed today. I'm getting old
and thinking of going back to the farm. I could sell you this
boat for a fraction of what you would pay in constructing a
lesser boat. She also carries 1400 gallons of fuel for her
six cylinder 130 hp Mercedes diesel. I haven't thought of
a price yet though and its hard for me to think money in
terms of my true love. The beautiful lines and utility have
a way of mesmerizing me. The gunnels need work and it
will be an ongoing project.
jdlum46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 16:58   #112

I would think if you are serious, you would post a few pics of the boat and talk about her in technical terms, particularly the maintenance history, hours on engine, fuel consumption, speed, range, etc.
Old 25-06-2013, 17:54   #113
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Talk about resurrecting an old thread! Pretty sure that's my very first post a few up....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 20:47   #114

I still think that CF should have a separate subforum for metal boats. There is so much information (and some BS) that putting it under one heading would be a benefit for many people.____Just my thoughts.______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 21:04   #115

I agree!
Old 25-06-2013, 21:46   #116

MetalBoatbuilding.org • Index page
Metal Boat • Index page
Metal Boat Building - Boat Design Forums
luso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:48   #117

And your point is?
Old 26-06-2013, 21:57   #118

Boat: Currently dreaming big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
My boat has a 316 stainless plate welded on the bow....actually wrapped around the bow and welded on. This plate extends from just below the deck down to the waterline. It's painted to match the hull and there is no sign of any problems. The boat has been in the water for 9 years. Since the bow is the most likely place to suffer collison damage the builder installed this plate to protect the mild steel and stop rust problems from the inevitable nicks the paint in this area receives. While it may not be "proper" it certains seems to work very well. If I were building another boat I'd do the same thing.

Regards,

TJ
I also have the same thing on my bow except i have not painted my stainless it looks awesome against the white topsides and provides a bit more protection when raising anchor anyway I have had mine welded to my bow for about 5 years now and it still looks great.
Old 26-06-2013, 22:27   #119

I looked over the links that luso gave and there is an overwhelming amount of information, that is focused on metal boats. It is great, but I was refering to this forum, since many of us dont wander around to other forums (even though we should) and we could organize our own forum to compile more of the metal boat information under one heading. As I said, it is just my thoughts. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 17:44   #120

The Metal Boat Society has an excellent, if vastly underused web site, but as grant said, some folks just don't get out and about much. There is certainly nothing wrong with having more than one site covering a topic. I'm all for it.