Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 20:32   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Photo/dimensions of my settee

I've attached a photo of my settee and some dimensions (in millimetres).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Settee.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	7821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensions.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	7822  

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 15:20   #17

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I've attached a photo of my settee and some dimensions (in millimetres).
Thanks Boracay.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 16:19   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
First - I think it's great you are putting so much thought into this. I'm sure that will pay off.

I've had two pocket cruisers one of which had a similar dinette, the other I gutted and rebuilt to have a settee.

I much prefer a settee arrangement to dinette in small boats when possible. It gives a feeling of more space, and I like being able to come in and have a settee available rather than having to convert a dinette. Settees allow you to keep one half folded down to move forward.

One question I'd consider is: How much do you need the sleeping space and if so for who? Kids under 5-6: yep, it makes sense. If not, maybe you'll have more freedom leaving out that conversion possibility. Over 8 years of cruising, I never used my 5-6 dinette to sleep on except to try it out once. (I'm also 5-8 which is why I never used it again!)

I think your 1.5 foot seat height is good.

If you want it for sleeping, make sure the seat and back cushions end up being of the proper size to make it a bed when in the bed position.

All the best with your project.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 17:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
First - I think it's great you are putting so much thought into this. I'm sure that will pay off.
Thanks, sure hope it works out.
Quote:
I much prefer a settee arrangement to dinette in small boats when possible. It gives a feeling of more space, and I like being able to come in and have a settee available rather than having to convert a dinette. Settees allow you to keep one half folded down to move forward.
The Booth butts into the starboard side hull leaving enough room to walk past it to the head on to the V-berth. There is also a Settee on the Port side.
Quote:
One question I'd consider is: How much do you need the sleeping space and if so for who? Kids under 5-6: yep, it makes sense. If not, maybe you'll have more freedom leaving out that conversion possibility. Over 8 years of cruising, I never used my 5-6 dinette to sleep on except to try it out once. (I'm also 5-8 which is why I never used it again!)
I don't know how much it will get used, but I do want the potential.
It will actually have a length of 6' 2" once it is setup (which I will make sure is simple to do).
Quote:
I think your 1.5 foot seat height is good.
On top of the 1' 5" (I assume that's what you meant by 1.5) there will be 4" of foam. Do you think that will make it too high?
Quote:
If you want it for sleeping, make sure the seat and back cushions end up being of the proper size to make it a bed when in the bed position.
Yup, it all adds up once I put small storage rolls (tubes the length of the settee with a zipper from one end to the other to store cloths in and double as cushions) in the space at the foot and head where the seat back swings back.
Quote:
All the best with your project.
Thank-You.

I do have one measurement that I'm still struggling with, for which I could use some advice.
How much headroom do you think would be the MINIMUM that one should allow when in the seated position?
I want to raise this booth up as high as I can so that when one is sitting in the booth, you can see out of the portholes. The portholes are quit close to the ceiling.
This also allows me to put a reasonably sized rain water tank under the booth floor.

Any suggestions?

Extemp.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:06   #20

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The reference book
Time-saver Standards for Interior Design and Space Planning ~ by Joseph De Chiara, Julius Panero, Martin Zelnik

Time-saver Standards for Interior ... - Google Book Search

Has Banquette Design Critreria (dimensions etc) beginning on page 356:
Time-saver Standards for Interior ... - Google Book Search

Westlawn has just put out Interior Design Methods for Yacht Design and the Boat Building Industry to the general public. Normally you can't get Westlawn books without being a student. This might be a bit of overkill for a single project (especially one already completed) but I found this sort interior design book quite useful.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:49   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks Maren!
At $90, "Interior Design Methods for Yacht Design and the Boat Building Industry" may be overkill (for most of us); but the linked advertisement includes several drawings, which illustrate some important design considerations.
The ad’ is certainly worth a look!
http://www.westlawn.edu/news/Westlaw...d10_June09.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 14:50   #22

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I have a book called the Finely Fitted Yacht.

It was about 30 bucks if I remember right and gives very simple instructions for projects like this and many others that you'd never think of on your own (until something fell onto your foot or something).

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 15:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.ward View Post
I have a book called the Finely Fitted Yacht...
I expect you could get used copies of Ferenc Maté’s excellent older books, "From a Bare Hull" and "The Finely Fitted Yacht", for under $10 each.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 20:20   #24

Thought I'd show a bit of progress.
I know, what's taking so long. The rest of my life .
Anyway, here is where I'm at. It working out well so far.

Regards,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RBooth_6of.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	9192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	9193  

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	9194  
Old 04-08-2009, 20:57   #25

A small adjustment in the seat back will make it more comfortable. Have the back come straight up (no slope) for 4-5". Then have it slope back as you're planning. This will provide lumbar support in the small of the back. It's easiest to do this just by cutting the foam (or gluing chunks of foam together to get the right shape) .

Another trick - and this might be too much bother - is to have the seat slope down from front to back about 1" to 1.25". You could also do this just by tapering the foam cushion instead of slanting the plywood. If the slope is noticeable when used as a berth just stick a piece of 1" board under the cushion.

If you look carefully at a comfortable dining or office chair you'll likely notice these touches. It really makes a difference.

I totally agree with your urge to look out the port but 4" cushions on top of 17" is too high for most people. 17-18" to the top of the cushion is normal.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 03:26   #26

Boat: Alo 28, 29 feet
Re: Building a Booth / Settee

Any pictures of the final result ?
And how is it working ?

Looks like the OP has not been logged in for some time, but hope he gets a message about his thread.
finnarne is offline   Reply With Quote