Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 11:41   #1
F10

Boat: S&S 34
Ablative Bottom Paint

What are the negatives of say painting on 6 layers of ablative bottom paint? Trying to get 10 years between next haul out. Last bottom job I use 3 coats of ABC 3 and got 5 years before fouling got bad. Does ablative bottom paint loose effectiveness, or as long as the paint is intact does it continue to perform? I do dive the hull regularly and wipe with a soft carpet to remove soft growth.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 12:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Ablative Bottom Paint

F10,
Ablative paint continually sloughs from your hull when underway or when scrubbed. Theoretically, it should not lose its effectiveness. In fact, we have the same bottom paint on our vessel(Petit Aquaclean/Hydrocoat-3 coats) from its last major painting in Miami 11 years ago. We have, however, "spotted in" areas of erosion throughout the years on the bow, keel, and bustle that receive the most friction while underway. But, we are in fresh water now with a short 4 month season where regular bottom cleaning is not needed if you sail regularly. I would hesitate to use more than three coats since there is the possibility of your hull becoming paint sick(too heavy and shedding paint) and losing its fairness in high friction areas after awhile. I would not recommend 6 coats of bottom paint. And, my preference is to haul my vessel every 18-24 months for inspection when cruising full-time. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 14-06-2016, 14:19   #3

In my opinion one of the biggest scams re bottom paint. Conceptually it sounds liuke a good idea... but it basically doesn't work.

Best approach... one coat of very hard paint and pay a diver to "ablate" whatever builds up after 3 or 4 weeks... and someone can earn a living and you don't polute the water with as much dissolved poisons. They will be banned one of these days.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:11   #4

I put 6 coats of copolymer ablative on my boat. Almost 5 years and still good.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:24   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How would you clean the propellor or replace the anodes if you don't lift out for 10 years?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:32   #6
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How would you clean the propellor or replace the anodes if you don't lift out for 10 years?

Pete
I regularly don my scuba gear to (monthly) wipe the bottom with an old carpet for soft growth, also inspect the anodes and replace while underwater if needed, and clean the prop (sometimes scraping needed for barnacles). On my recent hull out I put Lanolin on the prop and shaft- I will see how that works. The Lanolin can be also put on underwater, so if needed (which I am sure it will), I will smear some more on. Hull outs here in Hawaii are expensive- looking at in the thousands including a few lay days to do the work, so try to do whatever I can to minimize haul outs.
Old 14-06-2016, 15:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I guess being mid ocean you also don't have tides like the PNW or NE Europe to help either. Still at least the water is warm. Drysuits for diving here
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:38   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I understand this may 'somewhat work'.

However, I would try to use a long life product instead.

Some Jotun paints claim to last very many years between re-paints. Up to 90 months, I think.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:44   #9

This thread makes me glad I can use TBT bottom paint. I have enough work on my boat without having to dive my bottom every three of four weeks, and I don't think that 10 years or even 5 is realistic for times between haul out and fresh bottom paint. I'm pleased to get three years without having to worry about my bottom paint.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 16:33   #10
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
This thread makes me glad I can use TBT bottom paint. I have enough work on my boat without having to dive my bottom every three of four weeks, and I don't think that 10 years or even 5 is realistic for times between haul out and fresh bottom paint. I'm pleased to get three years without having to worry about my bottom paint.
Try the ABC 3. It does last 5 years. It is used by container ships where time is money, and dry docking is in the $100,000's.
PPG ABC #3 Antifouling Paint
Old 15-06-2016, 06:29   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
Try the ABC 3. It does last 5 years. It is used by container ships where time is money, and dry docking is in the $100,000's.

F10,
Are there any differences based upon usage since a container ship/commercial vessel travels at high speeds and is underway most of its life where a cruising boat, between passages, spends much time at anchor? I've read about the paint on their website but there were no real definitive statements that would apply to recreational vessels. Did I miss something? Best, R.
Old 15-06-2016, 06:39   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
What are the negatives of say painting on 6 layers of ablative bottom paint?
There is a maximum effective coating thickness for anti fouling paint, which is why the manufacturers recommend two or three coats only. Part of the way paints work is by allowing water to penetrate the paint's surface, thereby allowing the biocide to leach out. This is true whether there we are discussing a hard or ablative product. But the water can't penetrate beyond a certain mil thickness. Any paint applied beyond this mil thickness is wasted and will never provide anti fouling protection.

Quote:
Trying to get 10 years between next haul out.
With current anti fouling paint technology, that will never happen.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:05   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
(...) With current anti fouling paint technology, that will never happen.
The desired solution is called copper plates. ;-)

BTW the container long lasting a-f is not just different formulation trimmed for the matrix to release to toxic content, it is also the % of the toxic content in the non matrix part of the paint.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 08:17   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW the container long lasting a-f is not just different formulation trimmed for the matrix to release to toxic content, it is also the % of the toxic content in the non matrix part of the paint.
My understanding is that the paint's "matrix" describes the entire paint formulation, not just a certain part of it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 08:38   #15

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Worth looking at, although Practical Sailor mentions that it tends it crack and flake off when the boat is dry, something that may affect those who store their boats on the hard in the off-season.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint