Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 08:10   #31

Re: bristol cutter combings why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
My last boat was an Anastasia 36, a Bingham design. It was custom modified from the original design by Bingham, and had almost all of the cool ideas enumerated in Sailors Sketchbook built into it. I'm a big Bingham fan as a result. The guy was a genius to me. I never would have sold her if we hadn't had twins...
I've come across your postings a couple of times now associated with the Anastasia 32 you mentioned. I'm very interested to hear more about it. I've found one that I'm interested in purchasing and I'd love to hear from you about how seaworthy she was and whether you think she would stand up to a circumnavigation.

Thanks!

Nic at nictreid@gmail.com
nreid004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:39   #32

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: bristol cutter combings why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherthan View Post
thanks for the tip...now I only need to find equivalent woods in montreal???
Try cumaru, its used for house decks, its a Brazilian hardwood that weathers very well and looks similar to teak. Its available in Toronto, so you may be able to find in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I would like to put a basic toe rail around my boat. Something of a cheaper wood I don’t mind replacing in contrast to constantly having to repaint chipped steel. It looks like the thing to do is leave a marginal gap just smaller than the average screwdriver?
I assume you have steel coamings? I had a steel boat and I made the protruding steel coaming sandwiched between two pieces of teak 1/12 inches wide and 3/4 thick. Then capped these with a similar 3rd piece, routed and Cetol. Looked really good, but...

Be very careful how you attach the wood to the steel. Any holes you drill on the steel needs to be much larger than the screw passing thru to secure the wood. After drilling them you need a couple of coats of epoxy, then paint the entire steel plate that is going to be under the wood with epoxy as well. Then you can install the wood.
If you skip these steps, you'll have rust bleeding underneath the wood in no time, and you cannot fix it unless you rip the toe rail apart. Ask me how I know....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter