Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 13:09   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Bottom Paint This Year

Almost time to prep for spring launch. Since I'm in the Northeast I've been using single season ablative paint. But since I'm not planning to haul next fall as I'm going to be sailing south for cruising I need to decide. My choices based on what I can put over what's on the boat now are Interlux CSC or ACT (not enough weather time to strip up here). Some my choices are:

3 gal CSC multi-season paint for $720
3 gal ACT single season paint for $310

My bottom really needs to be stripped soon to get rid of the old hard paint the last owner used. So I'm considering many using 4 gal of the ACT and hoping it will last a couple of years instead of the CSC.

What would the rest of you use in this choice?
Old 22-02-2016, 13:40   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bottom Paint This Year

In our usage, our Altec #5 is only really good for 1 yr., and our mileage sailed is about 3,000 to 5,000 nautical mi/year.

In your case, you'll also want to factor in what kinds of paint will work better down south. Maybe some chat with the paint manufacturers about recommendations?

It might wind up being a better deal for you to have the longer haulout, strip the bottom of the old dead paint, and apply something you have some faith might go for the longer time.

It's a tough one. If you wind up doing the stripping yourself, plan on 4 days for it. A 41 ft. boat is very large compared to the 2" scraper. It took Jim 3 days on a 36 footer.
Get a good carbide tipped scraper, or consider having it blasted.

Good luck with it.
Old 22-02-2016, 14:07   #3
CLOD

Both paints are about equal down south apparently. I did some checking and the cost of haul out down south added to the cost of the "cheaper" paint is still a little less than the more expensive paint. So looking at it that way it probably is better to use the less expensive and plan on hauling in a year.

I'm just thinking out loud I type in case I'm not thinking of something 9I've talked into and out of both choices the past week)
Old 22-02-2016, 17:45   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

My experience is that when it comes to anti fouling paint, cheaping-out doesn't pay off, especially when taking the boat to high fouling waters. Hardly anybody ever says, "I wish I'd used a less effective paint."

My $.02.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:00   #5

Boat: Formosa 41

I bought my boat in the south and had Petit Ultima 60 put on it. After two years I hauled it up north and it looked great. Then I went with Interlux. Big mistake. Less copper.

I want at least two years between haulouts. I'm hauling this year and using Ultima 60.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 03:44   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
My experience is that when it comes to anti fouling paint, cheaping-out doesn't pay off, especially when taking the boat to high fouling waters. Hardly anybody ever says, "I wish I'd used a less effective paint."

My $.02.
But I'm not talking about about cheaping out. I'm talking about using more of a less expensive paint that has performed good the past 5 years, or a more expensive paint that I haven't used.
Old 23-02-2016, 04:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Where is "Down South"?
Any chance you can call and find out which paint is thought highly of down there?
I say that as it seems the effectiveness of the paint seems to be location dependent, I don't understand why though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 04:36   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Fwiw, petit ultima 60 ssr is the winner in my book.

We got 4 years out of it, 1.5 of that in the western Carib. The remainder in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 07:43   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

With ablative paint I find each coat lasts about 6 months - so 4 coats does 2 seasons, maybe with a little scrubbing. Have you though about copper epoxy, before a long trip to warm waters and when the bottom need a full strip would seem like the time to think about it. The way i would go but you cant put it on wood!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 07:57   #10

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Slightly off topic but if you are considering multiple coats of an ablative paint, I recommend using different colors for each coat. This can make your boat look a bit un-yacht like after year three but you can always tell at a glance how your paint is wearing.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:52   #11

Stripe the bottom and go with Copper Coat and you won't have to worry about the bottom for about 15 years or so. Good luck and fair winds.

Wayne
nomisfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:49   #12
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Have you though about copper epoxy, before a long trip to warm waters and when the bottom need a full strip would seem like the time to think about it.
I've thought about it, but that has nothing really to do with the current question.
Old 23-02-2016, 11:56   #13

I have seen a stripper use a modified electric hand planner with a vacuum attached to strip the bottom in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Quite fast and clean, and perfectly smooth bottom for painting.
stapeshlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 15:05   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeshlds View Post
I have seen a stripper use a modified electric hand planner with a vacuum attached to strip the bottom in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Quite fast and clean, and perfectly smooth bottom for painting.
Funny, around here you usually only see strippers with poles and stilettos.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 16:47   #15

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Funny, around here you usually only see strippers with poles and stilettos.
My favorite kind
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint