Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2023, 10:00   #16

Re: bottom paint

Mirelos
thank you for the reply. since the coating would be applied by the boat manufacture, I will assume they will do it well. I will likely opt for the more expensive copper coat

Don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 10:37   #17

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
thanks Exile, did you have an ablative paint on before and what was you prep for putting the ABC on......thanks in advance
Before I started using ABC I always used Pettit Trinidad (Pro/SR), a hard epoxy paint. It's been awhile but, as I recall, all that was required to apply the ABC ablative was a thorough sanding. I buy the 5-gal buckets and just keep applying until it's gone, with the usual emphasis on wear points on the front sides of the keel & rudder. I go an easy two years with periodic cleanings which is all I really want to go btwn haul-outs.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 13:06   #18

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Before I started using ABC I always used Pettit Trinidad (Pro/SR), a hard epoxy paint. It's been awhile but, as I recall, all that was required to apply the ABC ablative was a thorough sanding. I buy the 5-gal buckets and just keep applying until it's gone, with the usual emphasis on wear points on the front sides of the keel & rudder. I go an easy two years with periodic cleanings which is all I really want to go btwn haul-outs.
I have a question... i also use ABC 3 antifouling which has a shelf life of one year from date of shipment (!!?). If you bought the 5 gallon, how long did you keep the opened can and did you notice any change in the paint from the first to the last coat? Since we don't have the date of manufacture, for all we know it could sit in the store shelf for a long time, but....
I am not sure why such a shelf life, do the biocides die or the solvents deteriorate?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230413_082321.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	279056
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 14:32   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I have a question... i also use ABC 3 antifouling which has a shelf life of one year from date of shipment (!!?). If you bought the 5 gallon, how long did you keep the opened can and did you notice any change in the paint from the first to the last coat? Since we don't have the date of manufacture, for all we know it could sit in the store shelf for a long time, but....
I am not sure why such a shelf life, do the biocides die or the solvents deteriorate?
Attachment 279056
I don't know but when I was researching it I found ppg was good at answering any question they didn't feel a product secret
Old 01-08-2023, 14:39   #20

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Anyone have a current source for ABC3? I'm not finding any.
Old 01-08-2023, 14:50   #21
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Anyone have a current source for ABC3? I'm not finding any.
Got mine at the local PPG paint store
Old 01-08-2023, 18:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't know but when I was researching it I found ppg was good at answering any question they didn't feel a product secret
I called and the answer was... it depends. So my question was to obtain field/real life experience.
Old 01-08-2023, 18:24   #23

Quote:
Care to share link or location?
Old 01-08-2023, 18:53   #24

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Attachment 279056
Not sure about shelf life, and never noticed any differences as I went along. I never have paint leftover that I store in opened cans. It all goes on until none is left. That's one plus of ablative vs. hard epoxy paints, i.e. you generally don't have to worry about too much build-up since it's designed to slowly wear away once you're back in the water.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 19:03   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Recently? I called around this spring trying to get some and everywhere said it's no longer available, only for sale to the US Navy.
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 22:04   #26

In Florida where you have to scrub your bottom once a month. You will be in a cloud of paint when you scrape.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 23:03   #27

I’ve had a completely different experience from Sailorboy with SeaHawk BioCop (black) in Florida and Bahamas waters. Lasted better than my previous Micron Extra and Micron 66 - and it’s slightly harder than those so divers don’t scrub it off as easily.

I moved to BioCop after getting strong recommendations from several Caribbean cruisers.

Minimal growth (and no hard growth) with 6 week cleaning in Florida (with Micron Extra I needed to clean every four weeks) In the Bahamas where fouling is not nearly as bad due to the salinity of the water I go three months between cleanings. When I repainted at two years it seemed to have another year in it but I haul at two years anyways to replace saildrive seals.

Interlux bought SeaHawk. Prior to the acquisition SeaHawk had a reputation for weak quality control. Perhaps Sailorboy got a bad batch back then.

I had asked about ABC but my yard couldn’t get it.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:42   #28
CLOD

Quote:
Care to share link or location?
whatever the address is for the PPG Paint Store in Jacksonville FL
Old 02-08-2023, 04:53   #29
CLOD

if you can not get the ABC3 you might consider Sherwin Williams Seagaurd Copper Bottom 45
Old 02-08-2023, 05:11   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Prior to the acquisition SeaHawk had a reputation for weak quality control.

Prior to the acquisition Sea Hawk had a reputation for being owned and managed by convicted felons.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint