Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 02:37   #16

Boat: Malö 40H
Re: Boat refit in the eastern med. Where to in 2022?

Thanks for the tip SaltyMetals I am already checking them out!
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 22:59   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Consider heading up to Grado. The yard there is excellent, the area lovely, and you are only a day sail from Venice.
If you are still considering Ragusa, consider Licata. One yard there at least will be very accommodating.
Old 20-07-2022, 03:08   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boat refit in the eastern med. Where to in 2022?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
What!?? ok then prices can't all be that bad in the Ionian cause I was dinged 350€ for that privilege here in the dodecanese... [emoji85] granted this was right after I finally was able to come to the boat aftet the first covid wave so it was BAD.. but boy..I just rolled my eyes when the marina handed me the bill. It has kinda always been like this. Work is ok, might not be quite what you asked for though.. and the prices are always like northern Europe.... [emoji53]

It’s a private diver !!

My alternator , new regulator and new ( warranty refurb part ) rotor came to €150
Here hourly rates are running €30-50 an hour depending on whose taking a cut
Old 20-07-2022, 04:12   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Quote:
Thanks for the tip SaltyMetals I am already checking them out!
Cranky (& Trintella),
Probably best you call Ranieri or send them an email to info@ranieri-bari.com . Both Antonio and his nephew, Tommaso, read that incoming email. English is fine for both of them.
Old 25-07-2022, 07:57   #20

Quote:
Hello folks, I have been off for a while but it is time to resume the cruising and I want to do some of the work I had been postponing for years. New standing rigging, replace all tanks, maybe refinish the teak deck and so on. I am currently in Greece but to be honest after some years here I am kind of ready to move on elsewhere. My experience here has left me a bit weary of doing any involved boat work due to the difficulties communicating with greek craftsmen. The marina where I am based also gets mixed reviews from cruisers around here... including myself :-) .. it can be ok.. it can be a not so ok... kind of hit and miss.

Anyhow. So.. some internet searches later.. ofc one finds tons of "go to Turkey" advice. But most of those posts are from way before covid. 2012, 2015.. can anyone report on more recent experience doing work in Turkey? Folks around here comment it is not how it used to be, that it is no longer price competitive and the quality of the work can vary. That's ofc just mostly pontoon talk. I imagine the language problem to be similar like here in Greece.. one would have thought that the fall of the Lira would work in our favor but apparently that is not so ?..

Marina di Ragusa... fragmented information.. also old. Some speak of Tunisia. Good value, nice people. nothing concrete. I personally would love to go to Almerimar since I speak the language, but that is a bit farther than I would like to go...

While one ofc favors good value, I have learned that quality and no drama is worth the cost, so I am not looking for the lowest price at the cost of my own sanity.

Anyhow.. if anyone has got any *recent* experience or some concrete suggestions about yards or companies they can recommend, that would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Hello Sailor
Vliho yacht club in Vliho bay Lefkada Greece in the Ionian
Vicky and Rurai run the Club and have a crew to do work on the hard or in the water. They know and can recommend all the good people around them.
I am a member there and have had good experiences there.
captainmilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 10:46   #21

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Turkey is definitely and still your best place for refitting anywhere in the Med. You could find here and there good places in Slovenia, Croatia, Greece but Turkey, by far, offers the largest number of good boatyards, services, access to parts and experience with more reasonable costs (as reasonable as boat work cost can be...)
Old 25-07-2022, 13:39   #22

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

Recently arriving from Greece I think I can fairly say that Turkey is not cheap, but there are definitely the shops & facilities in places like Marmaris..
It seems from the Covid crisis & Turkeys internal problems, prices seemed to have doubled in Euro terms then been translated to Liras. Electrical work quotes at €50 an hour & parts were literally double the retail price in Australia.
Marina prices quoted in Marmaris at €180 per day, which is 60% higher than I’ve ever been quoted anywhere.
At the end of the day I’m happy with the work done here, but don’t expect any bargains.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 06:37   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Recently arriving from Greece I think I can fairly say that Turkey is not cheap, but there are definitely the shops & facilities in places like Marmaris..
It seems from the Covid crisis & Turkeys internal problems, prices seemed to have doubled in Euro terms then been translated to Liras. Electrical work quotes at €50 an hour & parts were literally double the retail price in Australia.
Marina prices quoted in Marmaris at €180 per day, which is 60% higher than I’ve ever been quoted anywhere.
At the end of the day I’m happy with the work done here, but don’t expect any bargains.

Yes that’s the feedback I’m getting. If you leave Greece today for Turkey solely looking for lower cost fitouts , you’ll likely be disappointed.

Tags
boat, refit