Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2022, 13:45   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
Boat refit in the eastern med. Where to in 2022?

Hello folks, I have been off for a while but it is time to resume the cruising and I want to do some of the work I had been postponing for years. New standing rigging, replace all tanks, maybe refinish the teak deck and so on. I am currently in Greece but to be honest after some years here I am kind of ready to move on elsewhere. My experience here has left me a bit weary of doing any involved boat work due to the difficulties communicating with greek craftsmen. The marina where I am based also gets mixed reviews from cruisers around here... including myself :-) .. it can be ok.. it can be a not so ok... kind of hit and miss.

Anyhow. So.. some internet searches later.. ofc one finds tons of "go to Turkey" advice. But most of those posts are from way before covid. 2012, 2015.. can anyone report on more recent experience doing work in Turkey? Folks around here comment it is not how it used to be, that it is no longer price competitive and the quality of the work can vary. That's ofc just mostly pontoon talk. I imagine the language problem to be similar like here in Greece.. one would have thought that the fall of the Lira would work in our favor but apparently that is not so ?..

Marina di Ragusa... fragmented information.. also old. Some speak of Tunisia. Good value, nice people. nothing concrete. I personally would love to go to Almerimar since I speak the language, but that is a bit farther than I would like to go...

While one ofc favors good value, I have learned that quality and no drama is worth the cost, so I am not looking for the lowest price at the cost of my own sanity.

Anyhow.. if anyone has got any *recent* experience or some concrete suggestions about yards or companies they can recommend, that would be very appreciated. Thanks!
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, refit