Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2022, 04:58   #1

Hull paint that is stripped when removing vinyl decals

Hey folks,

Putting this question out on a couple forums for guidance. I need to repair some hull paint where it appears to have been stripped off when removing the vinyl letters of the boat's prior name. Prior owner had the boat repainted a year ago. From what I am told the paint job might have been on the budget and not the best quality. Removing the old vinyl letter also stripped off several large sections of paint. See pic attached -- red/white on the left folded back on itself to reduce the sticky glue area, the white is paint that was pulled off.

I THINK the proper repair is wet sanding with 1k-2k grit sandpaper and applying several coats of paint in the stripped area to build it back up and match color, with continued sanding and painting, until i can try to was/polish to blend it back in. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl n paint.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	261573  
kbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 05:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Hull paint that is stripped when removing vinyl decals

Ken, I really can't make sense of the photograph. It looks like an area of gray non-skid rough coating torn loose, with first blue, then red, then white layers underneath revealed. The layers appear to be very smooth, suggesting that they were put on a smooth hull, when a sanded rough surface was needed for good adhesion. Can you clarify?
Old 26-07-2022, 05:35   #3

My suspicion is that the hull was not well sanded when it was repainted. The hull is very smooth and shows the prior dulled white paint where the vinyl was removed and stripped this top layer of paint.

In the image, the vinyl is a red sticker with navy blue sticker overtop. We are looking at the back side where adhesive would be, and on the left the navy/red is folded back on itself to cover up part of the adhesive. The white is stripped paint stuck to the vynil's adhesive
kbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 05:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I would get bigger vinyl stickers to cover the blemish. Now's your chance to get a flashy name and put it on there big!
Old 26-07-2022, 06:01   #5

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcole View Post
Hey folks,

Putting this question out on a couple forums for guidance. I need to repair some hull paint where it appears to have been stripped off when removing the vinyl letters of the boat's prior name. Prior owner had the boat repainted a year ago. From what I am told the paint job might have been on the budget and not the best quality. Removing the old vinyl letter also stripped off several large sections of paint. See pic attached -- red/white on the left folded back on itself to reduce the sticky glue area, the white is paint that was pulled off.

I THINK the proper repair is wet sanding with 1k-2k grit sandpaper and applying several coats of paint in the stripped area to build it back up and match color, with continued sanding and painting, until i can try to was/polish to blend it back in. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Ken

I'm assuming its not on the transom where you could repaint the whole panel ending neatly at the transom edge?

With repairs like this, you can try to hide the border between new and old, or embrace it: Mask off a rectangular shape you don't hate and repaint in there. If anyone gets close enough to the hull to see that edge, hit them on the head with a paddle and they'll forget all about it.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 06:06   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

No primer, wrong primer, primer on smooth old wax surface.
I bought a thief recovery corvette at a police auction stripped the paint with a power washer. The factory paint underneath was not affected.
There doesn’t appear to be any hull blistering but loose paint can encourage water penetration.
How are you with drop gun. Cause it needs paint. I restored two little Donzi’s one had bad damage port bow. I used BMW imron Red mild copper flake, and AutoAir Titanium white with a touch of pearl. The bottom paint is two part Epoxy white. 5 coats clear.

Without looking at the surface in person it’s just an guess really but prep your surface to repaint. Get a real good look under the paint Sandblasting isnot a good idea. Walnut shells and or baking soda are great. Grinders are bad new as are rotary sanders. Easy to over heat one spot which will transfer through the paint as a blur.
The drop gun has the paint jug above the gun and they are just great on a boat. My gun was $850.00 but you can rent them.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hull, hull paint, paint