Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2022, 13:45   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
Boat refit in the eastern med. Where to in 2022?

Hello folks, I have been off for a while but it is time to resume the cruising and I want to do some of the work I had been postponing for years. New standing rigging, replace all tanks, maybe refinish the teak deck and so on. I am currently in Greece but to be honest after some years here I am kind of ready to move on elsewhere. My experience here has left me a bit weary of doing any involved boat work due to the difficulties communicating with greek craftsmen. The marina where I am based also gets mixed reviews from cruisers around here... including myself :-) .. it can be ok.. it can be a not so ok... kind of hit and miss.

Anyhow. So.. some internet searches later.. ofc one finds tons of "go to Turkey" advice. But most of those posts are from way before covid. 2012, 2015.. can anyone report on more recent experience doing work in Turkey? Folks around here comment it is not how it used to be, that it is no longer price competitive and the quality of the work can vary. That's ofc just mostly pontoon talk. I imagine the language problem to be similar like here in Greece.. one would have thought that the fall of the Lira would work in our favor but apparently that is not so ?..

Marina di Ragusa... fragmented information.. also old. Some speak of Tunisia. Good value, nice people. nothing concrete. I personally would love to go to Almerimar since I speak the language, but that is a bit farther than I would like to go...

While one ofc favors good value, I have learned that quality and no drama is worth the cost, so I am not looking for the lowest price at the cost of my own sanity.

Anyhow.. if anyone has got any *recent* experience or some concrete suggestions about yards or companies they can recommend, that would be very appreciated. Thanks!
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 16:59   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Boat refit in the eastern med. Where to in 2022?

My experience is the Turks are a bit more industrious so you can find more local sources. But language and quality are similar issues to Greece and currently there is rampant inflation which is driving up everything including labour.

I don’t think it’s worth going Turkey just for a big refit. I do know that hardwood is easier to source in Turkey.
Old 08-07-2022, 22:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My experience is the Turks are a bit more industrious so you can find more local sources. But language and quality are similar issues to Greece and currently there is rampant inflation which is driving up everything including labour.

I don’t think it’s worth going Turkey just for a big refit. I do know that hardwood is easier to source in Turkey.
Thanks goboating , that helps. One question though, it says on your info that you are based on Lefkas. If in the end it came down to the devil you know, what's your two bits about doing the work there?
Old 09-07-2022, 00:46   #4
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Thanks goboating , that helps. One question though, it says on your info that you are based on Lefkas. If in the end it came down to the devil you know, what's your two bits about doing the work there?

Everything you need and all the experts are around Lefkas or nearby , engine people , wood workers , stainless steel people etc good tool shops , chandleries and things can be ordered quickly from Athens

However currently they are all very busy , but things ease a bit over the winter ,prices have been climbing ( stainless has doubled ) and labour rates are rising

All doable but pricey. If you can do most work yourself that eases the costs.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Avoid Croatia. They can fly to the moon tomorrow on their selfes but will never do so.
40 hrs of work on my shaft and engine took one and a half years...
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:50   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27'

Franz at

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...nd/id566678892

Talks about various places he has had work done in Turkey and Malta, i believe. You can email him and ask him.

Jonathan
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:23   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

We had a lot of work done in Marmaris.....but it was all well before Covid (2013). We had eng work, a new radar arch, new fuel tank, new sails, and multiple smaller jobs done. We were very impressed with the work ethic, the quality of work done, and the willingness to do it right....and the price was fair-not cheap, but fair. But that was then....can not speak for now. We had some rigging & AP work done in Athens-not recommended, and had a few things done in Lefkas-not impressed. We heard of good results at a marina in S Sicily, but were never there, so no 1st hand knowledge. And it would be tough to recommend Croatia or Italy for any work, based on our experience.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:56   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We had a lot of work done in Marmaris.....but it was all well before Covid (2013). We had eng work, a new radar arch, new fuel tank, new sails, and multiple smaller jobs done. We were very impressed with the work ethic, the quality of work done, and the willingness to do it right....and the price was fair-not cheap, but fair. But that was then....can not speak for now. We had some rigging & AP work done in Athens-not recommended, and had a few things done in Lefkas-not impressed. We heard of good results at a marina in S Sicily, but were never there, so no 1st hand knowledge. And it would be tough to recommend Croatia or Italy for any work, based on our experience.

If you know who to contact the work in Lefkada is first class but you have to know who’s who. There are also “ try your hand at anything “merchants as well.

Great electronics at pharos marine as well as good stainless in nydri . 5 chandleries in the town. Good wood yard also
Old 09-07-2022, 08:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

And I heard of 2 boats with engine repairs in NE sicily an the workshop ruined their engines.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat refit in the eastern med. Where to in 2022?

Drop CF member Yelola a line, he's based in Turkey and operates boats there.. if anyone is up to date on things he is.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:39   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was also impressed with the work done in Marmaris, but that was over 10 years ago. I also remember some customs regulations--if you import a new part like an engine, and swap it out for your old one, you can also be liable for import on the old one unless you can verify it has been destroyed.

OTOH, I liked Turks far more than the Greeks.

As with any boat work, you will need to supervise it yourself or hire an expat agent you can trust.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:26   #12

Hi I’m also interested in having some paintwork done to my aluminum yacht in Turkey at the end of this season & welcome any recommendations. I’m currently on Lefkas and after many years of satisfied work here, my how things have changed.
The northern Ionian has become such a popular destination for yacht floatillas & charter companies that you struggle to get any work done as there are not enough technicians to go round & costs are through the roof. All talk with seasoned yachties on Lefkas island confirm my experience wether the repairers are Greek or English companies.
Incidentally, I disagree with complements heaped on Pharos Marine. Since the sad demise of Dieter last year, this company consisting of some of his former employees wrongly diagnosed my faulty hydraulic reefing as mechanical problem. When I rectified a bad earth it worked fine. They also said 2 inverters were faulty, wanted 3000€ up front for possible first delivery 4 months ahead. Once again a bad connection rectified !
In Lefkas town, 4 electricians have failed to keep appointments made a week earlier. Manyana has taken on the words “I busy now, I call you back “
From experience some years ago, the difference in Turkey was “how can I help you”. The woodwork conversion in 2002 on my Jenny 47 from 4 cabin to 2 plus 1 owners en suite was exemplary. The wood matched perfectly.
If anyone has had paintwork carried out in Marmaris or Gochek please let me know also.
Trintella44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:22   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

If i may throw in another possibility, i spent two winters at Ranieri/Bari and since then i am now on my third annual contract for mooring. They do my annual haulout and various other jobs. The work they do in their boatyard is excellent and there are various other trades they have on their list for other items such as biminis, stainless, or sails (latter is a v large sail loft by Banks Sails). Engines, gearboxes, generators they seem to do themselves and the gear on a Malo 40 would be easy for them compared to some of the massive power plants i have seen them take out of power boats. They have a 100 tonne travel lift, paint shop etc. If you think of checking them out i suggest you speak to Antonio Ranieri. It is a family business and nearly all of them speak some English. I find their prices reasonable. More expensive in N Adriatic or across the water in Croatia.

Bari is handy bec the airport is only about 10 mins away and has international direct flights to many places in Europe
Andrew
Old 09-07-2022, 11:33   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trintella44a View Post
Hi I’m also interested in having some paintwork done to my aluminum yacht in Turkey at the end of this season & welcome any recommendations. I’m currently on Lefkas and after many years of satisfied work here, my how things have changed.
The northern Ionian has become such a popular destination for yacht floatillas & charter companies that you struggle to get any work done as there are not enough technicians to go round & costs are through the roof. All talk with seasoned yachties on Lefkas island confirm my experience wether the repairers are Greek or English companies.
Incidentally, I disagree with complements heaped on Pharos Marine. Since the sad demise of Dieter last year, this company consisting of some of his former employees wrongly diagnosed my faulty hydraulic reefing as mechanical problem. When I rectified a bad earth it worked fine. They also said 2 inverters were faulty, wanted 3000€ up front for possible first delivery 4 months ahead. Once again a bad connection rectified !
In Lefkas town, 4 electricians have failed to keep appointments made a week earlier. Manyana has taken on the words “I busy now, I call you back “
From experience some years ago, the difference in Turkey was “how can I help you”. The woodwork conversion in 2002 on my Jenny 47 from 4 cabin to 2 plus 1 owners en suite was exemplary. The wood matched perfectly.
If anyone has had paintwork carried out in Marmaris or Gochek please let me know also.

I can only say, Pharos have been superb and way way more efficient then Dieter who would talk a lot but do little.

I also have the invoice for work he did on installing new Raymarine on my boat for the PO , slapdash takes on a new meaning and outrageous pricing is a poor description. ( I liked him personally , but would never let him touch my electronics)

I agree the trades are busy right now , but Geogre in Nydri fixed my alternator in two days flat , ( new regulator and rotor) two weeks ago.

My diver arrived exactly when he says he would and cleaned the whole hull for 50 euros( three weeks ago).

Yes rates are climbing but Ive been told by people just back from Turkey that’s it’s worse there as the devaluation has generated rampant inflation and labour rates are rising , You pays your money and takes your pick. Turkeys marinas are packed to the gills this winter so it’s likely the trades will be run off their feet there ( after years of people leaving Turkey )

( I would say that in my experience Turkey is better if you want a lot of woodwork )

Again it’s truely who you know , if you don’t have local intelligence , you can get some shoddy work. ( especially from a whole group of usually ex-pat so called “ tradesmen “ many of whom are just chancers )

Ps Lefkada is in the southern Ionian
Old 10-07-2022, 02:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I can only say,

My diver arrived exactly when he says he would and cleaned the whole hull for 50 euros( three weeks ago).
What!?? ok then prices can't all be that bad in the Ionian cause I was dinged 350€ for that privilege here in the dodecanese... 🙈 granted this was right after I finally was able to come to the boat aftet the first covid wave so it was BAD.. but boy..I just rolled my eyes when the marina handed me the bill. It has kinda always been like this. Work is ok, might not be quite what you asked for though.. and the prices are always like northern Europe.... 😕

Tags
boat, refit