Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2022, 02:40   #1

Boat design & construction

Hi

I am currently making plans to have a design made and construct a boat.

How much does it cost to have custom plans made by a studio like Philippe Briand or others?

I want to have the boat build in Croatia.
Things I took into consideration:
- wages
- boat building experience in the region

I'm looking for someone who lives in the region, who can help me set up a company, rent a hangar, find some skilled craftsmen,...

All constructive suggestions are most welcome
Nuci
Nuci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 03:05   #2

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Boat design & construction

You should explain what type of boat you are considering.
Old 26-06-2022, 03:39   #3

Edit: Some more boat details:
Hull shape: 24meters sailboat alike
Build system: cold mold

Layers from inside to outside:
3x 1.5mm marine plywood or veneer
2x E-glass quadraxial
1.5cm divinicel core above the waterline
1.5cm aerex core under the waterline
4-6x E-glass quadraxial

Adapting the layes accordingly, and totalling about 1" thickness for the hull above the waterline, and a bit more under it.

Resin: vaccum infusion probably vinylester
Old 26-06-2022, 03:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nuci.

Philippe Briand designs superyachts. Is this what you’re contemplating?
You could ask Briand, for a quotation:
Tel: +44 20 7351 2700
Email: pa@philippebriand.com
Web: ➥ https://www.philippebriand.com/sailing-yachts/

Asked about the cost of yacht ownership, banker, J.P. Morgan allegedly replied: “If You Have to Ask, You Can’t Afford It”
Alternatively, Morgan is also said to have responded to oil baron Henry Clay Pierce:
“You have no right to own a yacht, if you ask that question.”

Edit: I see that you're contemplating a smaller [tho' large] yacht, than any of those featured on Briand's website.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 03:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nuci.
Philippe Briand designs superyachts. Is this what you’re contemplating?
You could ask Briand, for a quotation:
Tel: +44 20 7351 2700
Email: pa@philippebriand.com
Web: ➥ https://www.philippebriand.com/sailing-yachts/
I will, but it's Sunday here
Perhaps someone in the community knows more about these things then I do That's what I'm asking for.
Old 26-06-2022, 03:49   #6

Boat: Nordship 808

I have zero useful information regarding such projects, but I would love to be in a position to do something like this
Good luck with the project, and post pictures here during the build, please
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 09:06   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

What ever you have as a budget double if Then double it again
Old 26-06-2022, 09:14   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Cold molding is not the most common method anymore and 24 meters is very large! A commercial captains license is required right at about that size to operate.. so I hope you have that. A professional builder who has experience in this method and size will most likely have a facility to build such a yacht. Look for professional boat yards in the area of concern and the builder probably has designers they work with... You may even want to hire some type of broker who deals with new mega yacht builds, though I have no experience.

The fact that you ask "how much" is likely you can't afford this boat. The cost to build is highly dependent on how it is outfitted, but even for a very modest/minimal finished boat, I'd expect at least $2,000,000 USD and more like $4-5 million if you want it nicely appointed... even more for 'high-end'.

As for the design, I'm curious how you know the lamination schedule already, but do not have a designer?.. Anyway, you can probably buy existing plans with some engineering support and spend under $200k, but if you want this designed from scratch, then at least double to triple that for design and engineering. I would expect 3 to 5 years from signing/paying for the design to having a completed custom 24m boat ready to sail.

Some rules of thumb $30 to $40 per pound of boat for the build cost. At 40 tonn, that would work out to around $3 million.

Materials are typically 40-45% of total build cost.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 09:35   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Illustrated books are made by two people artist and writer. I think it’s a guild rule.

If you are capable of engineering a boat hull design that’s going to achieve some market share have Poland make the hull.
X Yachts Epoxy hulls are made in Poland.
I heard plywood so I’m out. No explanation needed but every boat with used plywood in laminates is or has delaminated.

Hanse 3D printed a 38’ yacht and I’m sure they are studying lamination and structural support advantages of 3D. Another 3D production boat from Italy. Hinckley Yachts USA 3D prints lightweight 3D poly carbon parts for the Picnic Electric

The sailboat market got cut in the 80’s they are still dropping like flies. Marlowe introduced way too many new Hunter Hulls in a short period in a soft market.
Donzi Marine one my favourite boat brands on its 6th Owner. Donzi still build the 18 and 22 but the 38 and 43 are gone.
Barvaria back from chapter 11 launches C line of sweet boats but quickly pulls the plug on the 65. Jeanneau celebrates #70 hull on their 64.
Cigarettes new owner launches a 64mph electric PWC and Yacht to keep two in.
Big companies big names big risks
Rand Boats with the Electric Picnic was a go fund me.
Sea Bin Australia was a go fund me.
Bon Chance
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 17:44   #10

Maybe a Russian oligarch can help? I believe they are trying to offload some very large boats.

But seriously, 24 m is an enormous boat. I would be looking at ten years before it hits the water if you are doing it yourself.

If you are acting as a private company rather than as an individual then there may be some tax considerations, but that would be another cess-pit to explore.

Plus the laminate structure you have described may well not be insurable as some insurance companies are now not accepting plywood or ply wood laminate structures (so I have heard).

The second hand market is awash with good larger boats that owners have given up on due to costs or flagging interest.

It seems to me that having a clear aim and comprehension of the lifestyle you and family envisage is essential for such a dramatic venture, not to mention an unlimited cash supply.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 17:52   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
I heard plywood so I’m out. No explanation needed but every boat with used plywood in laminates is or has delaminated.
The OP said "cold molding". That is quite different than a "plywood boat" and a very sound method of construction where each very thin layer of plywood is coated (if not saturated in resin (epoxy or vinylester) than laminated together , then covered with FRP. Lots of very high end, custom boats are molded this way. https://www.michaelrybovichandsons.c...ction/process/
Old 26-06-2022, 18:14   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

No thanks
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 18:15   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Boat poker is right.

But I have to say this is a really odd laminate schedule. What’s with the wood inside? You don’t even need it. Is that just for looks? You could easily just adjust the Quadrax insode to achieve a balanced laminate.

Anyway, it’s going to take much, much longer than you can ever imagine. A decade for sure. And budget? It’s better not to have one. Don’t even think about it. Just make sure you stay ahead of it with income.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat