Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 18:17   #1

Blisters on my bottom?

Ok....not my bottom per say, but the bottom of a vessel I'm considering. Anyone ever seen anything like this? They seem to rub off, but leave little cracks radiating out from the center of the splotch. I don't think they go into the laminate, but tough to tell without a little invasive noodling.
Thanks!
doo

scubadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 18:53   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Starship
Re: Blisters on my bottom?

Many articles on blisters on the web. Most, but not all older boat will to some extent of blister.
NCSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:33   #3

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Ok....not my bottom per say, but the bottom of a vessel I'm considering. Anyone ever seen anything like this? They seem to rub off, but leave little cracks radiating out from the center of the splotch. I don't think they go into the laminate, but tough to tell without a little invasive noodling.
Thanks!
doo

Check out the recent thread - A bazillion blisters, will they get worse. Folks have posted some good info there.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36   #4

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Thanks!
doo

It is quite hard to tell from this photo but those almost look organic, like lichens or similar. Are you sure they are originating from within the hull?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:06   #5
cruiser

Looks like blisters to me.

Ask minaret to be sure.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:09   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Scrape one off with a pocket knife or chisel, then post a close up.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33   #7

Boat: Hunter 326

Looks like barnacles ? Need a really close picture I copied and blew up but it was to distorted.
Kjretlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I was thinking barnacles too. Too uniform in size and dark.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:48   #9

I cant tell. But if those little dark spots in the center are wet they are blisters. Like said, gouge one out and see how deep the wet is. If they are that plentiful thruout... big job.
If they aren't just barnacle residue on the surface? Strange that there are no barnacles on t he rudder though if that...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:54   #10

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I cant tell. But if those little dark spots in the center are wet they are blisters. Like said, gouge one out and see how deep the wet is. If they are that plentiful thruout... big job.
If they aren't just barnacle residue on the surface? Strange that there are no barnacles on t he rudder though if that...?
Good point, though the rudder seems to have more residual antifoul. It rather looks as if the antifoul had been left to degenerate and was pretty much completely ablated on the hull. Anyhow, we'll see if the OP provides closer and better photos and info.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters