Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 14:01   #1
cruiser

Best Non Skid For Longevity??

I need to do a whole lot of deck area in non skid. The deck is down to bare epoxy fiberglass and nearly ready.

I am looking for an off white (just barely off), a non skid surface that is easy on bare feet and not going to destroy anyone who slips and falls ... and also one that lasts the longest.

Ideas??
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Best Non Skid For Longevity??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
I need to do a whole lot of deck area in non skid. The deck is down to bare epoxy fiberglass and nearly ready.

I am looking for an off white (just barely off), a non skid surface that is easy on bare feet and not going to destroy anyone who slips and falls ... and also one that lasts the longest.

Ideas??
It is of course my own choice only

http://www.esthec.com/en/products/esthec-decks.html

http://www.esthec.com/en/design/freedom-in-color.html
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:43   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
It is of course my own choice only

www.esthec.com

Freedom in color

Thank you. Any mention of a product that anyone likes is helpful.

In this case, unfortunately, the material is too heavy for me to use.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Thank you. Any mention of a product that anyone likes is helpful.

In this case, unfortunately, the material is too heavy for me to use.
So You are multihull guy, I suppose?

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:24   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

You want Awlgrip and Griptex sprayed over 545. I like Coarse and Fine mixed 50/50. It sprays super nice, zero roller lap. You shoot one coat neat, wait an hour, shoot a coat with Griptex mixed in, wait an hour, and shoot a final topcoat with flattening agent mixed in. Then wait another hour or two and pull tape. I always use accelerator for nonskid, it makes the paint harder. This gives the most professional, longest lasting finish. The 545 job is also critical. Only Griptex in Gelcoat lasts longer, but that's tricky.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:54   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

3M Safety Walk is what USCG and USN uses to keep sailors on their feet. Available in white, with different traction grades.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:01   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
So You are multihull guy, I suppose?

Tomasz
You guessed it. Every pound or kilo counts.
Old 02-04-2014, 16:03   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
You want Awlgrip and Griptex sprayed over 545. I like Coarse and Fine mixed 50/50. It sprays super nice, zero roller lap. You shoot one coat neat, wait an hour, shoot a coat with Griptex mixed in, wait an hour, and shoot a final topcoat with flattening agent mixed in. Then wait another hour or two and pull tape. I always use accelerator for nonskid, it makes the paint harder. This gives the most professional, longest lasting finish. The 545 job is also critical. Only Griptex in Gelcoat lasts longer, but that's tricky.

Thanks. This isthe regular way to do it, which I find not meeting the requirements of easy on bare feet and friendly to knees and kids falling or something. Brutal surface, isn't it?
Old 02-04-2014, 16:15   #9

Boat: Catalina 22

Evercoat Skid-No-more. It is gray but can be tinted whiter. Don't know how much whiter as I went to light blue with mine. It has held up well on some of the local racers for several years so far in our brutal sun. I'm still in the process of doing it to my decks.
Sandbox Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:23   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks. This isthe regular way to do it, which I find not meeting the requirements of easy on bare feet and friendly to knees and kids falling or something. Brutal surface, isn't it?

Not at all. You can make it as coarse or fine as you like. In addition, by varying how heavily you apply the final coat (or even by applying more than one), you can adjust how aggressive the skid is. This is because the final coat fills in in between the skid particles. The reason I prefer Fine and Coarse mixed 50/50 is because the big Coarse particles provide excellent grip, but the Fine particles fill in between them and make it much more comfortable. I've painted a whole lot of boats, and this is the best skid combo I've found for both traction and comfort to lay on, won't remove skin in a fall either. Easy to maintain and keep clean too, unlike products like Kiwigrip. Excellent longevity as well. You can also adjust the amount of flattening agent in the final coat to taste. It's very good stuff.

Old 02-04-2014, 16:28   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Like this. Brand new skid I shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	78659  

Old 02-04-2014, 16:29   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Roughly fifteen years ago I redid the non-skid on a Morgan 32. I still see the boat from time to time and deck still looks good. I used Awlgrip Hatteras White mixed with medium grit. I did the whole deck in a weekend but the local fiberglass repairman gave me detailed instructions on how to do it.

Well, the price of Awlgrip is becoming a bit rich for my old blood but I want to redo the non-skid on the Cabo. I've picked up a quart of off white Kiwi Grip and will give it a shot in a few small areas. If it turns out as hoped, I'll order some more and finish the boat with it. I've no idea how long it lasts but the vendor tells me they've had no complaints in the four years they've been selling it. There are some you-tube videos demonstrating it and it seems quite simple. I'm looking forward to getting down my to-do list to where I can provide a first hand review.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:36   #13

Boat: Carter offshore 35

White Aqua Safe Non Slip Tape - Anti Slip Tape Shop
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:56   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Not at all. You can make it as coarse or fine as you like. In addition, by varying how heavily you apply the final coat (or even by applying more than one), you can adjust how aggressive the skid is. This is because the final coat fills in in between the skid particles. The reason I prefer Fine and Coarse mixed 50/50 is because the big Coarse particles provide excellent grip, but the Fine particles fill in between them and make it much more comfortable. I've painted a whole lot of boats, and this is the best skid combo I've found for both traction and comfort to lay on, won't remove skin in a fall either. Easy to maintain and keep clean too, unlike products like Kiwigrip. Excellent longevity as well. You can also adjust the amount of flattening agent in the final coat to taste. It's very good stuff.
Hmm.... interesting. I must have always seen course grit in the past.

I have to paint the whole boat anyway, so... not all that much more. It is nearly 900 square feet of non skid though.

The attractiveness of truck bed liner was no primer needed. Same with KiwiGrip, I think? I have a sample of KiwiGrip and felt it was kind of sharp to walk on.
Old 02-04-2014, 17:43   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 45RC

I really like my Interlux interdeck. I have had it for 4 years. Not course but very safe when wet or dry. It can be hard to clean but aren't they all. It had very little build up and a quart goes a long way when roller applied. I like a 6" white foam roller.
JimWitt is offline   Reply With Quote