Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 16:40   #1

Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'
Best non-skid for wood decks?

I'm getting ready to paint the decks of my 31 foot boat. The existing paint is layers thick and chipping off in cornflake sized pieces here and there. There is pretty much no non-skid of any type on the decks right now.

I guess I need to chip off as much of the old paint as possible and get as close to just wood as possible. Do I need to get all of the paint off or just remove what is loose and then sand the paint that is still stable and well-attached to the wood?

As far as the non-skid goes, I like the look and feel of a few boats I've been on that have an almost skateboard like feeling nonskid but I imagine that may get really uncomfortable if I'm working on deck barefoot.

I read a bit about Tuffcoat and that seems like a pretty good alternative.

What non-skid would you recommend on a wood (not teak, obviously) deck?

Should I just paint the deck with my topside paint and then add blocks of non-skid? Seems like I'd rather just non-skid the entire deck. This isn't a show boat but I'd like it to look neat.

Thanks ahead of time. Tons of knowledge here on board.

Chad in Monterey
Dexterbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 18:52   #2

Re: Best non-skid for wood decks?

I use glass beads that they use in a beading machine. Harbor freight sells them. I can't remember how much they cost, but they are not expensive. Give the deck a good sanding. Clean everything up. Paint a small section,and sprinkle some of the beads on the wet paint. Repeat. If you can find a can with a screw on lid, you can poke holes in it like a large salt shaker. Good luck. That's what works best for me.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote